The Appalachian Trail runs from the state of Maine to Georgia. It runs over 2000 miles. A mountain range that cuts through 14 U.S. states, it is a favorite of many a hiker. By estimates of the Park Service, approximately 4 million hikers hits this trail every year at various points on its stretch.
The Appalachian Trail evolved from a 1921 proposal to preserve the Appalachian crests as a wilderness belt - a retreat from urban life. In Massachusetts it runs through the Berkshires, in NY through the Catskills and in Pennsylvania through the Poconos.
Bill Bryson, the columnist, author and humorist attempted to walk the entire trail - whether he succeeded or not is beside the point. He did succeed in writing an outrageously funny book, "A Walk in the Woods - Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail.”
A former colleague of mine, took time off after our business start-up experience to walk the entire trail over a several month period. Bravo!
I myself spent 10 days on the Appalachian Trail one hot summer in the early 90s and fell in love with it. My own modest goal for the future is to touch the trail in each of the states it passes through. Hiking for 10 days in the woods transports you to a completely different mental and physical state. A few highlights from this experience.
I. Delirious
On the very second day, we set about getting to the peak of Gooseneck mountain. The task was to get to the peak and return by sundown to be able to setup camp. We had to wade across a shallow but wide stream to get to the foot of the mountain. All I can remember is being swarmed by millions of buzzing insects all around us. I was glad that they did not sting!
The climb up the peak was a steep and we had to scramble from boulder to boulder the entire time. Because our bodies were not used to the ardor or to the steepness of the climb, we hit a physical wall no more than half-way up.
Phooey! We were asked to get up and move our butts. We were 10 of us. So all we could do was encourage each other to get to the top. each of us had a 30 lbs backpack on the back.
As we finally climbed to the peak, I remember hysteria. We all laughed. We
were braying hysterically. We did not need an excuse. It was an exhilarating sense of accomplishment, no-more-climbingness and camaraderie. The air was thin too!
We simmered down in a while and quietly enjoyed the breathtaking vista.
II. Alone For A Day
On the penultimate day, we agreed to separate for a day. The rule was that we had to spread out enough from each other so that we would not pair up even accidentally.
No electronics were allowed. I set off to find my spot. I saw a stream after a while and it was split in the middle by a small island. I waded over to it and set down my sleeping bag. There I lay for the whole day. I had no food save some garp (raisins and nuts).
All day I would feel blocks of wind/breeze. It could hears its beginning as leaves began to rustle. I could feel its middle as the air breezed over me and I could hear the doppler effect of the breeze leaving me behind. And again and again, all day. If you ever want to connect with nature, I recommend this. You alone, with no distractions. With trees, with water and the wind. The wind washed over me and washed through me. I let it carry away discomforts. I let it carry away laments. I let it carry away discontents.
III. Roles
All ten of us took on a different role each day. The first role I had was one of navigator. I learned to read the peculiar maps of the terrain. We had to plot a 6-8 mile hiking course through mountains every day. I feared the role of the cook the most. What an easy way to tick off a bunch of hungry and tired hikers!
Playing the role of 'Tail' was an interesting role. You were the last, bring up the rear, making sure no one was left behind or no-thing including trash was left behind. The role of Leader was to set the distance and course and the hiking goals for the day. One day, one of the hikers broke her foot on a stone. We had to detour down to a village to get her off to a hospital. We then resumed our hike.
IV. Acid Rain
Every day, we would manage to climb above the the treeline of the mountains. What i saw there shocked me. I expected to see beautiful lush vistas. I did.
However, I also saw the impact of acid rain on the trees and foliage. In a pristine state like Maine, the effect of our species polluting the atmosphere is felt. Trees and leaves turning brown and dead - caused by us. You have to see this for yourself to be convinced that we collectively, are pushing nature on this earth into a corner - it is true and it is here.
V. Foot follows foot
On a 10 day hike there is a reality that one has to contend with - the monotony of the hike! Foot follows foot. Up and down. Over this rock. Over that tree stump. Through this stream. Through that peak. On the third day, I questioned my sanity in taking on this enterprise. On the fifth day I wanted to quit. On the seventh day - I did not want it to end!
When you do something strenuous and repeatedly, with no distractions, you connect. It takes a while to get there. Once you connect you feel a flow. The sap of motion, ideas and your being, all meld into a ghostly ether that occupies you and surrounds you. It is a a primordial state that once claimed, is yours forever.



No comments:
Post a Comment