April 06, 2019

Book Review: Game of Simhasans

A kingdom is a kingdom is a kingdom

It occurs to me that before the advent of the gun, in the era of swords and sandals, a kingdom was a kingdom was a kingdom.

There were kings (mostly) who ruled and tried to defend and expand their territories.  They created wealth through "empire."  Some built monuments.  Others razed them.  And there was a constant jockeying for who's next in line.

Within that context, across various continents there are several dynasties of note including the Chola Dynasty that peaked in the 1000 AD time frame.

In terms of length of time, the Cholas lasted approximately 450 years.  This rivals the major ones we are familiar with, including:  Western Roman (500 years), the Caliphate (600 years), Ottomans (400 years), Ming (300 years) and the more known Guptas in India (250 years).

At their peak the Cholas ruled India from the south all the way up the the Ganges and Sri Lanka across the Palk straits and into south east Asia.  (If you ever wonder why Cambodia has an Indian influence, look no further).

The final season is here

The final season of Game of Thrones on HBO is just a week away, and I have done my best to stay away from the hype.  I confess I am hyped enough and don't need more of it!

Thus while in the mood for swords and sandals, and having enjoyed Roman history and the popular culture works associated with it in the past years (I Claudius, Cicero etc), I was ready for something new, and something to keep me occupied till Jon Snow and the Night King took on each other.

The Son of Ponni

Upon the recommendation of my friends, I took up the translation of a 5-volume epic of historical fiction by Tamil author Kalki titled Son of Ponni (Ponniyin Selvan in the original Tamil).  The Fifth volume was broken up into two parts - so it was six volumes really.

Reading a book a month is a pace I have set for myself over the past few years.  Thus cramming 6 books in a month is something that I don't think I have done, at least since cramming the first 3 Harry Potter novels way back when.

But I did.  And it was no effort!  Kalki's writing was so effortless, vivid and engrossing that the characters, settings, situations and dialogue gripped you and did not let you go until you learned what happens to the question of succession.

The Son of Ponni was written in the beginning of the 1950s, Charles Dickens style as a magazine serial.  It was such a phenomenon, that it increased the circulation of the magazine multifold.

It was re-serialized many times and published as a 5 volume (6!) set.

The Gist

There is a bit of a succession pickle in about 970 AD when the Chola ruler Sundara Chola is nearing the end of his life.  His elder son is the named successor.

However, originally Sundara Chola had to step in as Emperor because his nephew who was actually in line, was too young to ascend to the throne.  But now the nephew is also grown.

So there is a 3-way tie.  The nephew (who has a claim), the older son (who has been named) and the younger son (who is popular).

The plot

The author Kalki wastes no time kicking the plot into gear.  We jump in the first three chapters of the first novel into a conspiracy that involves the Chancellor of the kingdom to give the throne back to the nephew, the one who has a claim.

Off to the races we go .....!

The Action

The action is centered around the city of Tanjavur in South India.  The google map pictured here with the blue route is where the action takes place.

The second volume is set in Sri Lanka.

The rest take place where the blue lines are on the map.

Characters

Much like in George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones (finish it George!!) epic, there are way too many characters to describe.  But Kalki's writing is so good that you get to know them all and get to love them all!

There is the titular character Son of Ponni.  His elder sister (Kundavai), elder brother (Aditya Karikalan) and his father (Sundara Chola).  Also a friend of his named Vandiyathevan.  The author Kalki chooses to narrate pretty much the entire story through the eyes of this friend Vandiyathevan.  There is also the friend (Vanati) of the elder sister.

The author sketched in the middle surrounded by the characters

There are many many more characters such as the prime minister, the chancellor, the Dowager Queen, her son, Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka and on and on.  At a first glance, there are too many names and difficult to pronounce or keep track.

But Kalki's writing is so good that you enter the world through Vandiyathevan and are hooked!

Raja Raja Chola aka Son of Ponni

Raja Raja stands for King of Kings.  The Son of Ponni, is the name given to Arulmozhi Varman, the younger son of the emperor, because he was rescued when he fell into the river Cauvery as a child by somebody unknown.  When he later becomes emperor, he assumes the name of Raja Raja Chola.

I will leave it unstated if the Son of Ponni becomes king at the end of this novel.  But historically, he is the most famous emperors of the Cholas.  Under his reign most of the Tamil literature from aniquity until then was consolidated.  He is also responsible for the construction of the Brihadeeswara temple that is a World Heritage site today.

My father visited this temple earlier this year and had the following description of it:

This temple, also known as the big temple, is located in the Tanjavoor town in Tamilnadu. This is the masterpiece of Chola architecture. Everything in this temple is big and majestic. It has one of the tallest (64.8m) Gopuram (tower) over sanctum and contains one of the largest Shiva Lingams in the country. The Nandi (Bull) of this temple is the second largest Nandi in India. It is carved out of a single stone. 

The temple is built completely with granite stone. More than 130,000 tons of granite was brought to the temple site, from a faraway distance. The crowning piece of this temple is the Vimana (Shikhara) at the top of the temple Gopuram.  This extensively carved, lotus shaped stone shikhara weighs a stunning 80 tons. It is indeed an engineering feat to lift this huge rock to such a great height with the technology available in the 11th century. Like most of the Chola temples, this temple is also dedicated to Lord Shiva and goes by the name Brihadeeswara. The main temple site is surrounded by a rectangular boundary, with a smaller Gopuram at the entrance.
 

During the reign of Rajaraja, extensive trade was conducted with China, South East Asia and Europe. Indicating this, there are two sculptures on the temple, one depicting a Chinese person and another, a European gentleman.
       
This temple represents the vision of a great king and an unparalleld architectural and engineering achievement of the architects of that time.  


Comparison to Game of Thrones

It is fun trying to match the characters in Son of Ponni to the ones in Game of Thrones.  Since many of these are archetypes it is easy to find the matches.  Tyrion, Tywin, Jon Snow, Cercei, Jamie, Sansa, Varys, Littlefinger all have their counterparts.  The Starks, Lannisters, Boltons, Targareyans also have their counterparts in the Cholas, Pandyas, Pallavas and the Cheras.

Even some of the situtations have parallels such as comets portending omens, astrologers and big hunts.

Observations and Questions

- It is not clear to me what wealth actually meant in history.  One goes to war and brings back some statues.  Why does that imply wealth and well being for the occupier? (Perhaps it was really about slave labor).

- Why were kingdoms warring all the time?

-  I am trying to imagine how these empires administered themselves on a horse and buggy over millions of square miles - impressive managerial skills, I am sure (perhaps brutal too, I imagine).

- Lots of events in the story are driven by desire for power, envy, lust and greed.

-  One thinks of modern democracies as having leadership through the choice of the voters.  However, in Kalki's telling, the people had a lot of say through their representatives (various chieftains and minor princes) what their preference was for succession.

Adieu to Ponni

The Son of Ponni has kicked my reading capacity in high gear!  Although I devoured books while in middle school, six books in one month is perhaps my peak volume of reading ever.  It was great writing by Kalki with vivid descriptions anchored in history.  The Cholas, their history and their deeds are mesmerizing.  I wound not mind a tour of the places where the action takes place, including visiting "the big temple" like my father did earlier this year.



Other reviews:

Here is a detailed review from India Studies Channel:

Age hardly withers the charm
https://www.thehindu.com/books/age-hardly-withers-charm-of-ponniyin-selvan/article2550847.ece

Road trip to Chola Nadu
 https://highwayonlyway.com/2017/04/27/road-trip-to-chola-nadu-iv-pazhayarai-the-chola-headquarters/


33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its fastidious dialogue on the topic of this post at this place at this website, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.
It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and
it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some
interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next
articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about
it! Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you
get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything
you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me mad
so any help is very much appreciated. http://tagomi.com/

Anonymous said...

https://articlesbaseblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/17/dowiedz-sie-jak-poderwac-dziewczyne/ https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/ https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/ https://buildyourownshedsite.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/jak-odzyskac-dziewczyne/ Most piano benches on the websites for purchase are new piano benches, packed in a very box while using detachable legs stored inside.
The idea because of this indoor play centre came if the Wilikie brothers tied a rope to the roof of a factory roof and slid down it into bales
of hay. My father had much he would have taught me but
he refused to wait among my shows being an adult and teen.
https://articlesbaseblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/17/dowiedz-sie-jak-poderwac-dziewczyne/

Anonymous said...

It?s hard to find well-informed people about this subject, however, you sound like you know
what you?re talking about! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post is good, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going
to inform her.

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the issues.
It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My little man Cass is obsessed with this toy.

Anonymous said...

When i don’t have any idea generate an income wound up
on this page, but I imagined this article ended up being wonderful.
I don't discover your identiity but you are likely
to your celebrated author for those who aren’t currently ??

Kind regards!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins
to protect against hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any tips?

Anonymous said...

This design is wicked! You obviously know how
to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that,
how you presented it. Too cool!

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe.

At all times follow your heart.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This is my first visit to your blog! We
are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have
done a marvellous job!

Anonymous said...

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the good effort.

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I'm not positive whether this put up is written via him
as no one else recognize such precise about my problem.
You're wonderful! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I simply wish to give you a huge thumbs up for the excellent
information you have here on this post. I am returning to your blog for
more soon.

Anonymous said...

Hola! I've been reading your site for a while now and finally got the bravery to
go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent job!

Anonymous said...

I think you have noted some very interesting points, regards for the post.

Anonymous said...

I am in fact grateful to the holder of this site who has shared this impressive article at
here.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, this weekend is good in support of me, because this time i am reading
this great informative post here at my home.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

It's going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am reading
this wonderful paragraph to increase my know-how.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Carolina! I'm bored at work so I decided to
check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
I enjoy the info you provide here and can't wait to
take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb
site!

Anonymous said...

Fine way of describing, and good piece of writing to take
information on the topic of my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in institution of higher
education.

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put
in writing this website. I really hope to see the same high-grade content from you later on as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to
get my own, personal blog now ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Finally I got a website from where I be capable of really get helpful
facts concerning my study and knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

I know this site gives quality based content and extra data, is there
any other website which gives these kinds of information in quality?

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to
be really something that I think I would
never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the
hang of it!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about Página Inicial.

Anonymous said...

Very good write-up. I absolutely appreciate this site.
Stick with it!

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out
a lot. I hope to provide something again and help others like
you helped me.

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I'm not
sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know
such detailed about my trouble. You're wonderful! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the excellent
info you've got right here on this post. I will be coming back
to your web site for more soon.

Post a Comment