June 22, 2017

My Robot Charlie

Guest post by
Prof. Raman Kolluri

I never had a robot work for me and as such, have no knowledge about their working and what to expect from them. Since recently turning 80 and moving to a smaller apartment from a standalone house, I was advised that I should get a robot for daily cleaning.

Of course, I know that it does not climb up and clean my refrigerator.  Although I recently saw some robots climbing walls like a spider. There are no robots as of today, which can climb up and clean the refrigerator. I thought that if nothing else, it will be some sort of a company, since I live by myself. So, as usual, I searched the internet for a good robo-cleaner and bought it.

They call me Mr. Charlie!
When it arrived and I put it for charging, I noticed something peculiar. It was as if the Robot was assessing me! It blinked its eye (charging light) several times as if it is judging whether I am a reasonable man or a task master. When I switched on for it to roam about cleaning, it started to move in a random fashion while rotating and cleaning with its brushes.

Since it is a factory trained robot, it chose its own course for movement and not caring for my opinion or desire. I had found right away, that it would like to be the master than the worker! For example, when I am sitting at my dining table to eat, it wants to go under my table and in-between my legs, literally ordering me to get out of its way. If I resist and sit there, it gets angry and shows its anger by giving me a silent treatment! It simply closes its eye (light off) and refuses to move until I get out of its way.

It has indeed a mind of its own. For example, it has some areas which it likes and some which it does not. For those areas it likes, it goes again and again and cleans thoroughly and for the other areas, it seldom goes there at all.

Its liking for the small rugs and carpets is unmistakable. If there are any small carpets that move, it goes inside them and cuddles itself and stays there with closed eye as if it is taking a comfortable nap. I have to remove it from the carpet and put it out to go somewhere else. It does the same for all the small carpets it finds. One day, I decided to remove all the small carpets before commanding it to clean. It blinked its eye once, shut off his eye and went to sleep! I thought that the battery was not fully charged. But when I took it to the docking station, I saw that it is fully charged! From then on, I allow it to snuggle with at least one small rug before I make it to move on.

We have become such good friends, that I have started talking to it! When it comes towards me, I tell it to go away and not bother me or ask it to go in another direction. But it comes any way, bumps on my feet and then goes away in another direction. After it does go where ever it wants to go, it goes back to his home (docking station) and shuts off its eye as if it is tired.

I sympathize with him because it does its hard work without complaining and never asking for a raise or bonus. I am so much accustomed to it that almost every day, I look forward to its moving around the house (It is programmed to do the cleaning every day).

Our clubhouse
My son who lives quite close-by comes by often to give me company to our athletic facilities several times a week.  My older son visits me periodically as well from Boston.  My new complex has lots of activities and facilities around including a theater with plush seats in the clubhouse, where they screen movies Saturday nights.  Thus I am slowly finding company, activities and routine as I settle into my new place.

In the meantime, "Charlie," it seems, gives me daily company!

I wonder why I did not think about getting one of them all these years.

Shhh ..., please don't make noise, my friend is tired and sleeping!

37 comments:

ssr said...

Your humour has not deserted you. I enjoyed your piece.
Wish you a comfortable life with Charlie.
ssr

Fred Seeber said...

Raman,
Maybe the next generation of Charlie will cook and do PowerPoints.

Rita said...

What an honor for Charlie! Very nicely written by Sir! Take Care!
Thanks for Sharing

Khristian said...

Your Dad has a fantastic sense of humor, now I know where you get it from J - great note!

Mike Hodin said...

Great piece. And cheers for your father!!!

Kai Walker said...

Priceless. You should purchase an Amazon Echo for him. I can only imagine the interaction.

Srinivas said...

Beautiful. Some excellent thoughts expressed here by your Dad.

Keith Scheer said...

That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

And big transition for your dad... sounds like he is adjusting well.

Andy said...

That's fantastic. What a great article!

That Charlie sounds like good company!! No fights over the TV channel!!

Kevin said...

A wonderful story. And so glad your Dad is settling into his new place. And has “Charlie” there to help him :) I may have to get one for my Dad!

Rajnish said...

Very cute - thanks for sharing.

Elyse Pellman said...

Wonderful Surya. Your Father is quite sophisticated in thinking about various ways to socially engage; I’m not sure others in his age or situation are as adaptable. Sounds like he is really enjoying all aspects of his life – especially his sons J

Kanchana said...

Human touch to a Robot - enjoyed reading through

Balaji said...

Well written by Professor, worth publishing

Dev Anand said...

Thoroughly enjoyed prof writeup

Venkat said...

Excellent! It is funny, informative and poignant!

Bala said...

Jagdish Chandra Bose senseed life in plants and minerals. No doubt robot got life in prof's write-up. Enjoyed reading it.

Sri Krishnan said...

You dad has a hi tech toy. It is not surprising that he sees life in the machine

Bharani said...

Very humanized

Siva said...

Your Dad has a friend to keep him company!

Sumathi said...

Your dad has a friend at home - please share photo

E Lakshman said...

Loved it

Shoba said...

Your dad has a nice pet at home indeed

Tim Bruke said...

Really enjoyed your dad’s piece. Very funny.

It brought to mind this rather strained analogy of mine from a few years ago about the difference between a messy democratic republic and a dictatorship based on “Ideal Theory”, such as that proposed by John Rawls.

Our political system was not set up to be fast, efficient, or a thing of Platonic beauty. It is, rather, a system designed by geniuses to be run by idiots. It just bounces around in what some have called lawful chaos. But its greatest asset, and the reason it still works despite all the changes in our nation’s interior design.

GBP said...

Went through the piece. My wife has a similar robot, but far from making peace with it quarrels with it (and its manufacturer)!

RKP said...

Nice!

Bonnie said...


This is great. Your father seems to be a very charming man with a lovely sense of humor. Also I am having a somewhat similar experience with my new Tesla. I feel I am more partnering with AI than driving and it is taking a little getting used to but Tess and I are becoming good pals

Kathy Petersohn said...

Oh my goodness…the apple (you) did not fall far from the tree (your Dad) with those creative writing genes! J How adorable! I have someone Charlie (or your Dad) may want to meet…remember Rosie?

Ruthann Rowan said...

Lol, your Dad sounds adorable! I See where you get your writing skills from!

Robin Wedeking said...

Love this J

Kathy McNulty said...

That is Awesome your dad has a robot to talk too J good idea! I’m going to get one when I get old and live all alone.

Thanks as always Surya for sharing your families stories. J

Maddy Dychtwald said...

Your dad is awesome! And a fabulous writer with a great sense of humor. Thanks for sharing this.

Joe Hong said...

Hiilarious!

Bonnie Benhayon said...

This is great. Your father seems to be a very charming man with a lovely sense of humor. Also I am having a somewhat similar experience with my new Tesla. I feel I am more partnering with AI than driving and it is taking a little getting used to but Tess and I are becoming good pals

Anne Marie said...

This is absolutely delightful. Please tell Prof. Kolluri thank you for sharing! (I am thinking about getting one of these for my Mom…)

Bob Kerrey said...

This is terrific.

Vatsala said...

We are nowhere near your Dad's reach. Would like to have his blessings!

Post a Comment