All I remember of history from high school is a mind numbing litany of dates and names that was to be promptly forgotten after the exam.
So what a delight it was that I accidentally picked up this slim volume by Joseph Ellis on the Founding Brothers.
Several things delighted me about the book - but first, its impact. It has started me on a history reading streak that has not stopped 5 months later!
- The book is a series of 6 vignetters about the interactions between the principals of the narrative. It was a great way to not only get to know about each of them but also the specific dynamics between each.
- The vignettes are layered with increasing levels of meaning. You get the gist first. You get each of the participants take on the event. You get the context and then an overall synthesis in the context of the times, the principals and the events.
- It is well written (i finished it in two sittings)
- For me Jefferson emerged as a the most fascinating figure out of the "brothers" - although I genuinely admire Hamilton for his achievements (out of this account).
A quick word on the fiercely negative reviews Mr. Ellis has received. None of the criticisms seem to be about flaws with the book itself - rather with Mr. Ellis.
As a total novice in this arena, I can say that if you want a delightful introduction to a seminal piece of U.S History, this a highly recommended place to start.

No comments:
Post a Comment