Rude Hotel Guest
When I am traveling (was in Dallas this week), I tend to relax late in the evening at the hotel by picking out some stand up comedy act on Netflix on my iPad and watch it. I tend to laugh loudly, perhaps louder than the comedy act warrants.
On this trip, I watched Craig Ferguson, the Scottish comics' show, "Does this need to be said?" - utterly raunchy and profane act and funny.
One of his funny lines was that it took him 3 marriages to realize this rule of good relationships; the rule was asking himself the following before saying something to his wife:
1. Does this need to be said?
2. Does this need to be said by me?
3. Does this need to be said by me, now?
I let loose at his jokes, cackling loudly and letting my stress accumulated during the day, flow slowly but surely out of my system.
The next morning, I showed up in my professional garb at the hotel restaurant in the lobby. My female colleague joined me for breakfast. We got talking and I asked her if she had a good night's rest.
She said that she had some neighbor who kept disturbing her with his loud cackling laughter and could only go to sleep after the laughing stopped.
I stole a quick glance at her vexed expression, after which I kept my eyes firmly on the plate on my table and made mumbling sympathetic noises about rude hotel guests!
Masai Mara Baboons
I highly recommend the National Geographic documentary titled 'Stress'. Forget all the mumbo jumbo you've heard about stress (causes ulcers) and check this video out for some serious, cutting edge scientific research on this topic all the way from baboon societies in the Masai Mara in Africa to government workers in the British civil service. The research conducted spans 30 years by researchers from Stanford University and Oxford.
What you learn about how stress affects our 'telomeres' is utterly fascinating and scary. Just learning about what these telomeres do is fascinating. They are caps that protect either end of every chromosome in your body - holy mackerel!
![]() |
| Telomeres |
Some time ago in the U.S. the campaign against smoking took off like a rocket when pictures of what smoking does to one's lungs started being shared.
Don't be surprised if the same does not start happening to pictures of 'telomeres' and that of our brain cells.
Also the antidotes to stress documented in this engaging video are surprisingly surprising! I highly recommend checking it out! Available on instant view on Netflix.
http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/National-Geographic-Stress-Portrait-of-a-Killer/70107420#height1807
Short Answer
Recently a senior executive was promoted to one of the biggest jobs in our company. He now manages tone of the most prized divisions in the entire enterprise (described to Wall Street as the 'crown jewel' of our enterprise).
In order to introduce him to the rank and file, there was an interview with him. He was asked about his background, his experience, his interest, his approach to management, his vision for the business etc.
The last question to him was, 'What is the one thing you make sure you never miss every day?'
His one-word answer, to end the interview was:
Exercise.



5 comments:
ha ha .... did you use headphones while watching "Does this need to be said?"
I agree with the stress theme --
These are the types of life experience that make a person introspect and become a better person. I will narrate an interseting experience ( not mine). A person was sitting in the airport lounge and eating chips out of a packet kept on the side next to his seat. After a few minutes, he saw the person sitting next to him was also digging into the packet and eating the chips. That was quite annoying and repulsive. But he did not say any thing out of politeness. Adding insult to injury, the other person finished the last few chips in the packet, and threw it away in the trash can. That was too much to keep quite. He got up to give a bit of his mind to the other person and suddenly discovered that his packet was intact on the other side of the chair ! He was actually eating the chips from the other man's packet and he was the one who was polite to him !
’m perhaps the only person you know whose problem is the reverse of stress
So perhaps I’m double-capping my chromosomes with layers of telomeres!
Which I’m sure has all sorts of negative effects too….
Hell, what doesn’t?
That was an awesome write-up. The hotel episode was hilarious!
Just finished watching the National Geographic documentary. Found it
on YouTube.
Absolutely brilliant. Bought back old memories of Kenyan Safari too.
Love the way how Dr. Sapolsky types his notes on a
typewriter in one scene. Disconnected from modern technology, how stress free :).
Post a Comment