June 20, 2012

H.W. Wrongfellow: 3 Poems


The Arrow and the Song



I shot an arrow into the air
It fell to the earth I knew not where
Now my quiver is completely bare
For this silly sport, I do not care!

I breathed a song into the air
It fell to the earth I knew not where
This loss is too much to bear
How much longer will this agony wear?

I found an arrow in an old oak
Some poor saps I suppose, totally unbroke
I whistled shiftily my lost song
Grabbed the arrow and ran right along!



The Master's Original Poem:  http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173890



     THE GOOD SIDE RISES, THE GOOD SIDE FALLS


   


The good side rises, the good side falls,
     The twinkie sparkles, the tastebud calls;
     Along the pastry-stand damp and brown
     The traveller hastens with a frown,
          And the good side rises, the good side falls.

   
     Darkness settles on mind and the good side crawls,
     The craving, the craving in the mind’s darkness calls;
     The little waves of temptation, with their soft, white curls,
     Efface the resolve in the mind,
          And the good side rises, the good side falls.

     The change in his pocket breaks; as he strides to the stall
     Looks guilty, as the price, the teller calls;
     To the car he returns, resolving again, nevermore
     Pops the twinkie, the sugar rushing to his very core
          And the good side rises, the good side falls.

The Master's Original Poem:  http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173917





HML's Original Poem:  http://www.litscape.com/author/Henry_Wadsworth_Longfellow/Beware.html

2 comments:

UMS said...

My take on a poem is :

You should feel as if you know the
subject already ; actually you planned
to write yourself but just postponed
writing it ; next time around you should
write it before somebody else writes...!!

Then the poem connects with you. If it
doesn't it is not worth reading completely.

Murthy Challa said...

Good gnus!
Check this out: http://wonderingminstrels.blogspot.com/2004/08/good-gnus-p-g-wodehouse.html

Here is one of my own, written to my old Stae Bank of India friends.
No Noose is Good News
(An ode to the retirees)
Whether your views on life hereafter
Include a cruise or snapping gnus
You've paid your dues for fun and laughter
So shed the noose and skip the blues.

Find a muse or a useful cause
Or build your thews, or paint some hues
Your little issues have in-laws
You got your cues, now light the fuse.

Post a Comment