November 18, 2012

Spielberg's Lincoln


I saw the new movie by Steven Spielberg, 'Lincoln.'  Terrific movie!

The best portrayal of Lincoln on film thus far has been Raymond Massey in Abe Lincoln Goes to Illinois.

It is to Daniel Day Lewis' credit that he so inhabits the role that he is to Lincoln what Usain Bolt is to sprinting - world class and a sight to behold!

I might even go so far as to say this might be Daniel Day Lewis' career defining role.  Just as when we say Al Pacino we think Michael Corleone, or when we say Ben Kingsley, we think Gandhi.  I think Daniel Day Lewis' will henceforth be Lincoln.

A treat indeed!

I followed-up the Spielberg movie over the weekend and in a 36 hour span, watched the following movies that in my opinion constitute the 'Lincoln Saga:'

- Young Mr Lincoln by John Ford with Henry Fonda

-  Abe Lincoln in Illinois played by Raymond Massey (who originally essayed Lincoln on Broadway)

- Gore Vidal's Lincoln played by Sam Waterston and Mary Tyler Moore; the latter being an exquisite Mary Todd Lincoln

- Finally the PBS documentary voiced by Jason Robards.

It was  fun to have wikipedia by my side looking up sundry characters (e.g. Lincoln's vain brother-in-law).

Each time I watch, I try to pick one salient turning point in the saga, and this time the Springfield farewell address stood out for me.  This address was given after Lincoln just won the election defeating Senator Stephen Douglas.  Lincoln was headed to DC with a gigantic task at hand, as big as Washington's - yet he offers a simple thanks to his friends an neighbors - all in an impromptu speech!

Remarkable!!

Here is the text:

"Friends, no one who has never been placed in a like position can understand my feelings at this hour, nor the oppressive sadness I feel at this parting. For more than a quarter of a century I have lived among you, and during all that time I have received nothing but kindness at your hands. Here I have lived from my youth until now I am an old man. Here the most cherished ties of earth were assumed. Here all my children were born and here one of them lies buried. To you, dear friends, I owe all that I have, all that I am. All the strange checkered past seems to crowd now upon my mind.

To-day I leave you. I go to assume a task more difficult than that which devolved upon Washington. Unless the great God who assisted him shall be with andaid me I must fail; but if the same omniscient mind and mighty arm that directed and protected him shall guide and support me I shall not fail -- I shall succeed. Let us all pray that the God of our fathers may not forsake us now. To Him I commend you all. Permit me to ask that with equal sincerity and faith you will invoke His wisdom and guidance for me. With these words I must leave you -- for how long I know not. Friends, one and all, I must now bid you an affectionate farewell."


6 comments:

Bill Aheron said...

Fantastic!  Now I will definitely have to make time to see DDL in the new film – and perhaps embark on a similar voyage of discovery and re-discovery with more of the Lincolniana. 

Thank you for the tip and the road-map for that trip. 

I hope all is well with you.  Have a great Thanksgiving! 

John Currie said...

Thanks for the review.  I am really excited to see it but will probably have to wait until it is out on video.  Tough to get to the movies these daysJ

Tim Shannon said...

Great endorsement.  Will definitely be seeing it as soon as possible.  Speaking of Wikipedia…my daughter asked me if there are any descendants of Lincoln still around and I was saddened to learn that the last direct descendant (his great-grandson died without heirs in 1985). 

Jon Currence said...

Great review – and quite a coincidence about the book you happened to open right to the Springfield speech!
 
I definitely would like to see that movie as well.  I’m in Currie’s shoes though too, can be tough to schedule these days

Chris Daniels said...

This sounds fantastic.  I have seen the previews and it seems like a “must see.”  Thanks much for the insight and other references.  We don’t get out to see many movies, but this one is on the list!  I know if you have critiqued it and are recommending it, there is some good substance to be experienced.  The farewell address before the inauguration really stands out as a very different political scene than today’s politics.

MP said...

I loved your Lincoln blog – it has inspired me to do the same and watch not just the new Lincoln movies but the others too!  

Post a Comment