January 26, 2013

Of Apps and Apples

I wanted to comment on the phenomenon on mobile phone and tablet Apps. Did you notice, that perhaps many of us are spending time on the iternet through the gateway of Apps rather than through mainstream search sites like Google and Yahoo?

It seems to me that when the search sites just started, we were content to have access to the world wide web and identify information that we needed or found useful. But with increasing sophistication, apps are taking that information into a form and function that we find useful. I rarely for example go to the NY Times website (forget the actual paper!), but instead go to NY Times through its mobile app.

If I want a restaurant, I dont type a request in search, instead I go to Yelp.

With that in mind, I wanted to log in increasing order of use, the top 10 apps on my phone (note:  this does not count regualr net use). Would like to see what you are using as well!

10. Skype - easy way wherever I am to connect visually with my family (once in two weeks)

9. Bank App - pay off my bills as when they show up (once or twice a month)

8. Yelp - look up restaurants in the city I am in (as needed)

7. Flipboard - all my news in one place, slickly laid out (daily)

6. Evernote - an easy store of all stray thoughts and notes I dream up - tagged, sorted and easy to retrieve (constantly)

5. NYT - news (daily)

4. WSJ - news (daily)

3. Twitter - this is truly amazing. I get to follow all kinds of people - scientists, economists, comedians, sports figures, artists - etc etc! (daily)

2. Facebook - with my family - all around the world (daily)

1. Lose it! - I track what I eat and my exercise ( visit this 6-8 times a day).  Btw,as obsessive as I am about this - it is the 'perfect' of example of you cannot necessarily manage what you can measure!  :-)



 

4 comments:

Manika Srivastav said...

I am in the minority -and an object of ridicule for my kids- as I use Google almost exclusively and hold the printed NYT in my hands.
I did just get a Facebook page much to my regret as it sucks me in too often!

Unknown said...

I am too am a huge fan of Evernote and Twitter!

OK.. here's my list

Slingplayer App - Access my home DVR/Cablebox from anywhere with a decent data connection. The upfront cost is a bit steep.$180 for the SlingBox Standalone device. $15 for the iPhone app. Another $15 for the iPad app. (Boo!) But being able to watch Live TV and DVR Recordings from many time zones away over 4g/3G/wifi.. priceless.


HTML5.grooveshark.com (open this website in safari and add it to your home screen) - Great selection of music. Search by artist or by song


AirVideo - install the server app on your home computer and the AirVideo client app on your phone or ipad lets you stream all your movies and tv shows over 4G/3G/wifi


Waze - its crowd-sourced navigation! Other motorists report accidents, red light cameras, heavy traffic, police activity and Waze suggests routes with the least amount of traffic and a eerily accurate ETA. I check this app every morning to determine which route to take to work

PlayTube - YouTube video caching for offline entertainment. You are only limited by the storage capabilities of your iDevice.

CamCard - I attend a lot of tradeshows and this app is a god-send! Snap a picture of a business card and using extremely fast and accurate OCR it identifies and auto-fills in the approproate fields into a new contact entry. Make minor changes as necessary, hit save and you're done!

Google+ - Start a video conference with 9 of your friends. The app detects who's talking and switches cams accordingly

usha k said...

Great list. In addition to some of what you have, I use whatsapp(share pics and chat with folks in India), kindle(it's not bad on my iphone :-) i was surprised), wait wait dont tell me, gmail, temple run(entertainment for Anika but Sumanth is hooked), talk to g-chat.

Uday said...

After the 2010 landmark Supreme Court ruling (source: http://is.gd/a7ApMO), there has been a huge boom in development in the Cydia market for "jailbroken" iPhones.

Jailbreaking is the process of modifying your iphone's operating system so that you can install apps and OS tweaks that don't necessarily have Apple's blessings. This is a free country, dammit! Why should you use your iPhone only in ways Apple approves?

Jailbreaking has recently made headlines since a group of computer experts calling themselves Evaders have released the jailbreak for Apple's newest iOS 6.1. All iphones, ipads and ipod touches can be jailbroken with this software package known as Evasi0n. 7M people have jailbroken their phone with Evasi0n in the first 96 hours of its release. I am one of them.

My list of favorite tweaks (some paid. some free)

- TetherMe: Create a wifi hotspot using your phone's 3G/4G connection

- Auxo: Jazzifying the menu that pops up when you double tap your home button. See a real time display of the apps that are currently open. Close apps you dont need with a swipe down gesture

- NCSettings - Add toggles to the swipe down notification menu. Lets you quickly turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, set brightness, lock orientation, etc.

- MapsOpener - Hate Apple Maps? Love the new Google Maps app that Apple has finally allowed Google to release for iOS. MapsOpener allows you to default to Google Maps when you tap an address in safari or tell siri to give you directions to somewhere.

-BrowserChooser - Hate safari? Love Chrome? This app lets you make Chrome your default browser when you click links in other apps (like twitter for example)

- AssistantLove - Give Siri more functionality.
"Hey Siri. Turn off the wifi." "OK Dude. Setting WiFi off" This app is especially awesome if you have a Spotify subscription. "Siri, play Stairway to Heaven" Siri finds the song in Spotify and starts playing the song.

-MovieBox - a free netflix alternative. Stream movies and TV shows

- IntelliScreenX - have widgets on your lock screen ala android

- Dashboard X - have widgets on your homescreens ala android

- Safari Download Manager - download any type of file with safari. Not just those that Tim Cook wants you to download

- Bridge - Add MP3s (like those free podcast Mp3s on NPR for example) that you've downloaded with Safari Download Manager on your iphone into your Music app on your phone... all on your phone. No Mac/PC and iTunes required

- PwnTunes - drag and drop Mp3s to your iPhone Music Library over usb, bluetooth, or wifi. No itunes required

- and so many others that I've forgotten. Youtube and google are your friends.

Cheers

Uday




Post a Comment