March 12, 2013

What a gal!

What makes a character attractive?  What makes her standout?  Is it looks, celebrity or fortitude?  Is it caring for others?

These were the questions running through my mind, as I went on a Jane Austen binge recently.  With availability of content in multiple-media formats, often for free, it is quite remarkable how one can surround oneself with the story.

I was at once able to read an eBook, listen to the book being read on podcast, view the screen play, watch multiple versions of the movie for the big screen and on TV, read professional and reader reviews.  In addition to the pure enjoyment of what the author has to offer, this multi-media approach allows one to attack the work from a variety of directions which yields new insights that might not have been accessible at all in the first place.

It is with this arsenal of tools that I began tackling Jane Austen's works.

But it all had to start somewhere.  It needed a trigger.  And a trigger indeed was possible with the inimitable couple of Mr. Darcy and Ms. Bennett of Pride & Prejudice fame.

I had taken to listening to authors talk about their work through the Barnes & Noble book club or the BBC World Book club.  And during one of these episodes, there was a discussion of Pride & Prejudice and why it stood the test of time with a British, Pakistani and an Australian author.  Their analysis and on the spot takes based on questions from audience from the world over were spell binding.

The question that stands out from that one hour conversation was - whether Pride & Prejudice was about love or money.  When that question was asked, I paused the podcast right away, before I could hear the answer.  I answered the question for myself, since I did not want to be 'prejudiced'!

I then proceeded to listen.  My answer was close - but not nearly as elegant or eloquent as the author from Australia who had answered it.  When I came home, I asked my wife the same question.  And her answer came close too.  Indeed, both of us agreed, the exact moment at which love and money fused into one answer in the story.

And that moment was when Liz Bennett first sees Pemberly for herself, and during the house tour, remarks to herself "And I could have been the mistress of all this."

What I have realized re-acquainting myself with Jane Austen's work is that beyond the magical capture of Regency England, the tale of manners and the girl wants boy and gets boy formula, is the moral dimension of her writing.

Standing up for oneself, doing the right thing, amiability and many more qualities that make for a good life.  This dimension to her writing is brought out well, in this following essay, shared by my friend:

Reading Jane Austen as a moral philosopher:  http://philosophynow.org/issues/94/Reading_Jane_Austen_as_a_Moral_Philosopher

With that preamble, I would like to share a listing of 'What a gal!' for each of the Jane Austen heroines.

* * * * * Five stars for - top notch character

* One star for - avoid her!


Elizabeth Bennett:

Jennifer Ehle as Liz Bennett
This star of the immortal story Pride & Prejudice, just stands out tall among all the Jane Austen heroines.  She stands up to her initial suitor, her second suitor, her ultimate suitor, her ultimate suitor's aunt, her mother and rejects them all.  For her, self-respect, intelligence, and her family come first and no social obligation or wealth will have her deviate from her convictions.  Of course, she is not without faults.  And the charm of the story is that she learns from them.

I imagined myself again and again, in situations where I would be put down by very senior or very powerful people; and I would ask myself if I would have the gumption of a Liz Bennett to ask them to go pound sand?

My favorite line from the book is, Liz Bennett's retort to Lady Catherine de Bourgh:  "He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman's daughter. So far we are equal.” 

Jennifer Ehle's rendition of this character is the best in my opinion and she won a British BAFTA award for it.

Great story.  Great setting and a wonderful Liz Bennett.

What a gal!    * * * *   Four stars


Anne Elliott:

Amanda Root as Anne Elliott
I kept away from the novel Persuasion for a long time.  Even though my wife and several critics always spoke very highly of this story.  Finally the movie rendition of Anne Elliott by Amanda Root got me going on this story.  In contrast to Liz Bennett above, Anne Elliott is extremely docile.  But the defining trait of this character is her constancy.  She knows what she wants and sticks to it regardless of temptations.  An aspect of this story that appealed to me was that her suitor is not part of the landed gentry but a self-made man; in as much as it was possible in those times - a naval officer.

My favorite line from this book is what Anne tell's Captain Wentworth's friend within earshot: “All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one: you need not covet it), is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone!” 

A very subtle story that can catch you napping.  But packs a punch if you stay with it.

What a gal!  * * * Three stars


Elinor Dashwood

Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood
Sense and Sensibility is a title that provokes endless conversation.  Which of the Dashwood sisters represents sense and which one sensibility.  Emma Thompson plays the older sister Elinor Dashwood, the more in control sister.  Still waters run deep with Elinor.  Emma Thompson was originally commissioned to write the screenplay for this novel and she labored over it for four years.  When Ang Lee was asked to direct it, he wanted Emma to play the lead role.  When she protested she was too old for the part, Ang Lee suggested making the character of the novel older!

The only false note in the film is the terribly miscast Hugh Grant (he of the hunched shoulders).  Emma Thompson won an oscar for the screenplay.  She is the only person to receive an Oscar for writing and acting (Howards End).

My favorite line from this book is when Marianne asks her sister: “Always resignation and acceptance. Always prudence and honour and duty. Elinor, where is your heart?” 

Elinor holds and holds and holds, till you feel like Edward Ferrars was going to slip away.

What a gal!  * * * Three stars


Fanny Price

While not exactly the same arc, I was reminded of David Copperfield's character by Dickens as I was reading Mansfield Park.  Sylvestra Le Touzel plays Fannie Price in the 1983 A& E production, which I thought was wholly inadequate in terms of casting, production and screenplay.

Amiability and being of service are the characteristics that rise to the top as one contemplates Fanny Price.  However, her abhorrence of theatre and general conservative stance has not earned her too many fans.

My favorite line from the book is: “I was so anxious to do what is right that I forgot to do what is right.” 

But the family that adopts and raises her, ultimately comes around to finding her to be the one indispensable member who everyone values.

What a gal!  * * Two stars


Emma

Kate Beckinsale as Emma
There is a real contest between the A& E production starring Kate Beckinsale and the Hollywood version with Gwyneth Paltrow.  I think the fandom is split 50-50.  However, I find the Kate B version a little more salty and Gwyneth P version a little more frothy.  Both are good, but the former has the edge.

My favorite line from the book is what a vexed Mr. Knightley says to Emma after she gets Miss Smith into trouble: "Vanity working on a weak head produces every sort of mischief.” 

Emma is a bit of a silly character that tries to make matches.  She faces her comeuppance and learns from it.

What a gal!  * * Two stars


Jane Austen wrote a total of six novels.  After plowing through five, I had too much 'sugar' and could not contemplate going through Northanger Abbey.  I needed to get off this train!

Jane Austen

I am one of those guys who thinks The Godfather is the best movie ever made.  I insist that our son watch the most famous westerns like High Noon and Stagecoach with me.  I am a fan of WWI and WWII movies.  But I gotta admit - Jane Austen can spin a tale.  Even though she wrote only six novels, they are still being read, seen, heard and discussed two hundred years later.

Jane Austen

My favorite quote from Jane Austen is the one I carry for myself as well: "My idea of good company is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation."

For her literary genius, story telling prowess, moral clarity and remarkable heroines, Jane Austen herself is on this list.

What a gal!  * * * * * Five stars


Post script

I am happily married and intend to stay so.

My favorite line from my life is when my wife asks me: "Why is my (take your pick between cashmere sweater and dress pant) in the washer??"

So here is to my wife....

What a gal!  * * * * * *  SIX STARS!  :-)




7 comments:

Tim Burke said...

Good stuff.

I hadn’t thought of how immersed one can now get in literature due to technology. How ironic is that? It takes ‘close reading’ to a whole new level.

Also was glad that my little offering added to this deep-dive immersion.

My real point: it’s quite laudatory that you take the arts so seriously… especially the enduring classics.

Keith Scheer said...

This is very well written… While I have not read any of her work, I know that my wife has read at least a few of her books, if not all of them.

And I even think she has been going back and revisiting them (harder to tell what she is reading now that she has gone Kindle).

Kim Paris said...

Excellent article – and, Price & Prejudice is my favorite!

Bonnie Benhayon said...

I love this! Have you or are you going to publish it. I have so many friends who would enjoy it.

Also I hope you gave this to your wife for Valentines Day.

I will share with my daughter. She is also a Jane Austen fan

Anonymous said...

Nice character summaries. I have always been ambivalent about Jane Austen. I also do not rate The Godfather as a well-made movie.

Unknown said...

Awesome write-up! I'm a big Jane Austen fan, it's rare to find men appreciate her candor and spirit. It's nice to hear a man's perspective on what I believe are "modern day fairy tales."

SSR said...

As a teacher I had to teach mostly first generation learners. Jane Austen's novels would have been prescribed for non-detailed study, i.e. not part of the core curriculum.

The characters and the social setting were totally alien to them. "Sir, give us the summary. We'll cram for it" would be the students' appeal.

I also had no great fascination for Jane's novels. But my sister was a great admirer of those novels.

Post a Comment