August 18, 2013

Sirukural


I thought I would  have a little fun and write 'Sirukural' on the flight back this week.  

A little context - Avvaiyar was a female poet in 600 BC (from what I can tell), and who wrote several well known aphorisms in Tamil.... like this:

Uyir Ezhuthuஆத்திசூடிEnglish translation
அஅறம் செய விரும்புDesire to do good things
ஆஆறுவது சினம்Anger is to be controlled
இஇயல்வது கரவேல்Help others in any way you can
ஈஈவது விலக்கேல்Always be charitable
உஉடையது விளம்பேல்Do not boast about what you have
ஊஊக்கமது கைவிடேல்Do not give up hope/effort
எஎண் எழுத்து இகழேல்Respect learning
ஏஏற்பது இகழ்ச்சிBegging is despicable
ஐஐயமிட்டு உண்Give alms before eating
ஒஒப்புர வொழுகுBe virtuous
ஓஓதுவது ஒழியேல்Do not give up learning
ஒளஒளவியம் பேசேல்Do not talk bad about others
ஃஅஃகஞ் சுருக்கேல்Never cheat on food


There was another poet who wrote legendary poetry including titles like Thirukural.  So I thought, why not have some twenty first century observations?

Thirukural are great or important aphorisms.  In a play on words, Sirukural are small and trivial aphorisms!  Hope you enjoy these!

Sirukural

1. There is many a slip between the thought and the lip

2. If you think two positives don't make a negative, in a skeptical voice just say 'yeah, right!'

3. Things have changed less than we think

4. Things have changed more than we think

5. Goldfish have such a short memory that they swim around the bowl once and exclaim, 'hey, nice place here!'

6. If you think someone is crazy, you may actually be right

7. There is a twilight zone where missing socks and slippers exist

8. Buy the same type of socks to defeat the missing sock puzzle

9. Murphy and Peter were banking colleagues in 2008

10. There is an App for everything

11 comments:

Tim Burke said...

Tried to come up with one as offbeat as yours. Here’s the best I could do:


If we were bees, ants, or Lacedaemonian warriors, to whom personal fear does not exist, and cowardice is the most shameful thing in the world, warring would go on forever. But luckily we are only men - and cowards.
- Schrödinger (Mind and Matter, 1958)

Poorna said...

Nella oru Sirukural !! Avar Tiruvalluvar. Nengal angila siruvalluvar lol..

Milind said...

Thanks much. Confused about Thirukural and
Sirukural. Also as Devanagari is the script for Sanskrit what is the
script used for this Tamil language called?

Surya Kolluri said...

Tamil is in Brahmi script I believe.

I had fun with the title sirukural.

Thirukural means big or great aphorisms written by Thiruvalluvar in 30 BC

Siru in Tamil means small

So with Sirukural, I wrote small or trivial aphorisms!

SSR said...

you are versatile, doing(writing) something extraordinary. Carry on.

Jon Currence said...

That is so funny.

I love the Murphy and Peter one - I've never heard of the Peter Principle and had to look it up!

Also - I wonder what is meant by 'do not cheat on food'?

SPK said...

Means don't steal food.

btw, It occurred to me that Foreign Aid is transfer of money from the rich of one country to the rich of another!

UMS said...

Very Nice...!

Rakesh said...

Any chance of becoming the national poet soon ?

Kanchana said...

Its like twinkle twinkle thoughts !! ( meaningful)

1 & 10 sound cute !!

Nambi said...

Superb. Sirukural with sparks of sindhanai(thoughts) shines like your name.

Post a Comment