May 28, 2016

Cache for 'stache

A personal story here in connection with Letitia Baldridge (who was Social Secretary and Chief of Staff to Jackie Kennedy).

She came to our Business School to talk to us about Executive Manners.  I really enjoyed listening to her and visualizing the spirit of the famous First Lady hovering in the auditorium.

After the talk, there was a long line of students waiting to talk to her.  I was in the line too.  When I walked up to her my question was (and I kid you not), "should I keep my moustache or shave it?!"

After a delicate pause, this seasoned veteran who had potentially heard and seen everything replied, "I have two remarks for you.  First, a successful executive is one who is most comfortable in his or her skin.  So if a wearing a moustache makes you comfortable, do it.  My second remark is this; I am on boards of many corporations, and I have seldom come across anyone with a moustache.'

The rest, as they say, is history!


1988 - colleagues at GE Breaker Plant seeing me off to business school

1991 - At business school

1992 - No moustache!





7 comments:

Zafar said...

Hahaha.....I kept mine and still sit on boards:)

Good story - thanks!

UMS Kolluri said...

You look terrific like Steve Jobs in his younger days...!!!

RV Kolluri said...

It is interesting. Believe it or not- EVERYBODY(Male) will try to grow mustache as well as beard at one time or the other! But as time goes and more important things come on board, these vanish automatically. However, once in awhile, the urge starts again but will not go into effect due to other pressing needs!

Hari said...

What a story! And great pictures too!

Ken Dychtwald said...

HA! Fantastic story….and I loved seeing the “back-in-the-day” picture of you!

subba said...

Mustache gone for ever😉

Pandi said...

May be she was right. Most of the known leaders of the world / countries are with out mustache. So you followed her views.

May be keeping a good mustache needs time to maintain and looking good.

Post a Comment