October 09, 2017

Camden Rising

Growing up in Southern NJ and going to colleges in Philadelphia, I would go cross the Delaware river going over either the Benjamin Franklin or Walt Whitman bridge everyday.  Camden County is where we lived and operated from.  Camden City was a place to drive through.  And if you stopped, then it would be for very specific business like attending class at a University annex.

To be fair, all those years ago, Philadelphia was in bad shape too and so were New York and even Providence.  These cities have all seen a renaissance.

And now it is Camden's turn ....

I toured Camden City recently with my brother Kris - and for me the before, the after and the understanding of what is coming was eye opening - it is "Camden Rising" indeed!

Hope you enjoy these pictures from my tour .....

I.  At the foot of Ben Franklin Bridge
Let us start of with spectacular real estate, shall we?



II.  Let's practice ball
The Philadelphia 76ers Basket Ball team have relocated their practice facility in Camden



III.  Get to work
Subaru and other major corporations are coming to Camden



IV.  The 21st Century topic is ... Health!
With 10,000 American Boomers turning 65 everyday, health is a bullish sector

$50 MM development underway

V.  It started with this
We went to the Camden Aquarium in 2005 when it reopened .....
kicking off the possibility of revitalization



VI.  Leaf of grass
Now there is a precious legacy for Camden, if there was ever one!
Walt Whitman lived in Camden for about 20 years in the 1800s

"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars..."

VII.  "I DREAM'D IN A DREAM"
Mural in Camden with Whitman seeing "a city invincible"

I DREAM'D in a dream, I saw a city invincible to the
attacks of the whole of the rest of the earth;
I dream'd that was the new City of Friends;
Nothing was greater there than the quality of robust
love—it led the rest;
It was seen every hour in the actions of the men of
that city,
And in all their looks and words.


VIII.  Let's get it done
Kris in the thick of it, helping Camden Rise






No comments:

Post a Comment