![]() |
| Teaching laser physics and loving it! |
At this stage in my life, I believe I have earned the right to candidly inspect both science and religion. The attempt would be for my own sake, rather than influencing others. I hope my introspection on these two topics is taken only in that spirit.
The Divide
Over centuries, there has been an ongoing debate between the religious and scientists. The religious believe in an undisputable God who cannot be explained and beyond the understanding of humans and hence the facts about the earth and the universe in which it exists, need not be subjected to reasoning and scientific study. Further, they argue that since scientists do not know the answers to all the questions, the creation and sustenance of the earth and the universe, since it is a creation by God. They also argue that science can at best (whether it is now or even in future) give answers to the 'How' and not the 'Why' of the manifestations in the Universe.
Scientists on the other hand believe that it is not only important but it is possible to understand the manifestations both on the earth and beyond by a systematic scientific study. They point to the fact that science has come a long way over the centuries in terms of understanding both super macroscopic and sub microscopic world.
Definition
I consulted Neils Neilson's, Religions of the World and Marilyn Adamson's Connecting with Divine, for a suitable definition of God. The best I could infer regarding a definition is the following: Creator and ruler of the universe and of supreme value, and is beyond the capacity of humans to understand him or his manifestations. Has great power, strength and knowledge that can affect nature and the lives of all humans and is the one who has laid down moral and ethical codes to be followed by humans. God can reward those who worship and punish those who do not obey.
Origin
From my reading, it seems to me that the first mention of 'God' was in the ancient Hindu scripture 'Rig Veda', through the word 'puru-hutas'(much invoked) referring to the 'Thunder and Rain God- Indra'. In the western world, the word ‘God’ came from a Germanic word ‘gad,’ pronounced as 'gohdt'. The word “God” was introduced in Christianity through translations of the King James Bible.
Religion
The word religion comes from the Latin word 'Re-Ligare'. 'Ligare' means 'to bind' or to 'connect'. Adding the word, 're' makes it to become 'Re-Bind' or “Re-Connect.
The word religion can be defined as a system followed by a group of people who believe that the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe is created by a superhuman agency. This group of people believe in a moral code and conduct governing the human affairs as dictated by that superhuman agency. Members of this group usually involve in devotional and ritual observances in praise of this superhuman agency. They also believe that this supernatural power is divine and have control of human destiny.
Different religions
Although, all the religions have their own individual characteristics, there are some similarities in in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam). Followers of these religions believe in Prophet Abraham and his descendants to be responsible for spiritual development of humans.
They believe that messages from God are passed on to humans through a messiah, who is considered to be holy and is capable of performing miracles. They believe that there are two places called 'Heaven' and 'Hell'(either real or spiritual). Heaven is a place where people who do good deeds on the earth will be going after death and Hell is where sinners would go after death.
Hinduism is quite different from the Abrahamic religions. Hinduism appears to be a fusion of various Indian cultures and traditions with diverse roots and it has no founder. Dharma believe in the Trinity of Gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, there are hundreds of Gods and Goddesses worshiped by different sections of people of this faith.
Three more major religions are even more different from the above. They are Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism. They essentially do not believe in a specific entity called 'God'. They have a set of rules to be followed by human beings which are given in a 'holy book' specific to their own religion. They shun rituals and mostly devote themselves to prayer and teachings of their spiritual leader (However, they have slowly started adapting some form of rituals. For example, in Myanmar where I traveled in 2016, people following Buddhism now worship Buddha himself through rituals similar to those in Hinduism).
Science
According to The Scientific American, science can be defined as an intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
The scientific method describes the processes by which scientists gain knowledge about the physical world. It's characterized by six key elements: questions, hypotheses, experiments, observations, analyses, and conclusions. These elements are interrelated steps, so they don't always function in the same order. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on an empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. Scientific research can be broadly divided into two broad categories -Quantitative and Qualitative.
Scientists never act upon hearsay. They always build upon the knowledge gathered before. God and his manifestations do not play a part in any scientific pursuit. While they always try to find the complete answer to even a complex problem, they are aware that it is not always possible. More often than not, it is not the result, but the joy in pursuit of knowledge is what drives the scientists in their pursuit of knowledge. Scientists do not always agree on interpretations of results of a complex problem. Finally, scientific pursuit is never static. It is always changes with changing times and with increase of knowledge.
My Science Journey
I was trained in Physics and was involved in teaching and research in that subject for nearly six decades. While I always believed that a certain force or power is involved in the creation and its manifestation, I never accepted that we should not inquire into what made it act the way it does. For example, I was always puzzled how, the centripetal, gravitational and electrostatic forces between the electrons and the nucleus in an atom exactly compensate each other to make the atom a stable entity! While teaching Material Science to Graduate students, I always used to wonder whether we exactly know what is happening inside matter.
Of course, like all the other Professors, I also used to write equations on the board. But, I always used to wonder what exactly the relation between the mathematical equations and the matter is. For example, I used to teach that electrons travel in an inverse space inside an atomic lattice. But, I never understood (at least in terms of real world) what an inverse space looks like.
Further, our understanding of the submicroscopic state and the super macroscopic state, is mostly based on mathematical formulations and assumptions. The results often represent a ' black box' situation.
My Journey Through Faith
I was introduced to religion by my parents and people surrounding me when I was young. But my parents never insisted on my following any particular religion. My father always said that religion is a matter of personal choice and that I should decide for myself what is the best for me to follow.
When I was immigrating with my family in the 1980s, breaking all bonds with my native land, with no money and no job, I had to only depend on my faith that things will turn out to be better, which they did.
My wife suddenly fell ill in the mid-2000s. I desperately turned to science for help. I dug deep into my reserves of faith and family. But the moment had come for her to pass.
In the ten years that have passed, I have found a new place to live, learned to cook, formed new friendships, seen my grandchildren growing up, watched our society deal with tumultuous cultural change.
So I reflect upon my journey, and upon life in the twenty first century. I look at the two pillars of science and faith upon which I have rested meaningful decisions in my life journey. And here is what I conclude.
My two cents
For me, religion and science are human constructs. The human timeline on the earth is extremely small in geological time compared to the age of the earth. Earth itself is an extremely small entity in the entire universe. Thanks to the findings of the Kepler and Hubble telescopes, it is now certain that there are thousands of planets similar to ours in the universe. Science has given us this amazing power to look deep into the Universe. On the other hand, so many terrible destructive weapons have been developed by humans. Even if a fraction of them are used by some rogue nation, humanity itself will be destroyed.
One wonders whether there are people similar to us living there and if so, do they have their own God and whether they also do scientific research to find the answers to the mysteries of the Universe.
In my 20s, when I was a PhD student in Physics - Spectroscopy, there was an occasion when I had a disagreement with my Professor regarding the result of a particular experiment. Fortunately, I was proven right. However, I could have gone wrong. I had no way of knowing the answer, until I conducted the experiment. Neither did my Professor. But we both had faith that whatever the result was, we would agree to it, since we both trusted the method used to infer the answer.
Great thinkers, philosophers and scientists have given us tremendous amount of knowledge. We must be able to build upon it. We are blessed with the ability to think. Not to use it to learn more and be benefited is not an option.
As a scientist for many decades, I conclude that there should not be a dispute between science and religion. A scientist can be a believer in God and a religious person can believe and enjoy the fruits of advancements in science. I now strongly believe, that both are pursuing the same extraordinary unexplainable phenomenon called the Universe in their own way and contributing to the peace and joy of people in their own way.
-- by Prof. Raman Kolluri



9 comments:
You seem to have a lot of time to think about all these.
Congrats.
Wow! Insightful, serious and inspirational. Few may be as well written and thoughtful as this.
Very nice thanks for sharing! You and I both have fathers that were physicists.
I love this essay! I have the same philosophy about science and religion that your father has expressed in his summary. I really enjoyed the journey he took readers on as he shared his insights and built to his conclusion. You are very lucky to have such a father and I definitely see his influence on you and your consistently open-minded approach to the world.
Second, at church this morning our priest shared a thought that really resonated with me and I thought I’d share it with you. He said that we should not think of ourselves as human beings searching for a spiritual experience but as spiritual beings briefly having a human experience. Hmmm…
Read your fathers blog It was a such a enlightening write up to explain the present state of our development as a society
I have no words to congratulate him such a fine article
Really good. Thank him for the insights.
I read ur dad's beautiful write up. I find that it is written in a simple english language which is very easy for me to understand (u write complex english, moreover i need a dictionary to study ).
He has mentioned abt ur mother 3 or 4 times in his write up which shows his love towards her.
The conclusion part is amazing
A professor is a professor who wants his teachings to reach each and every student. He has done it with perfection 👍
Ur kids r fortunate to have a nice grandpa👍
My humble namaskaram to him🙏🙏🙏🙏
- Senthil, Coimbatore
Deep introspective journey well balanced approach and well concluded👌👌to me in short both Science & Religion two ways of approach towards reality /truth..
Science ofcourse based on measurements and Religion based on experiences..but the underlining msg is experience does not care for the measurements and measurements does not indicate experiences..
- Kanchana, Mumbai
Salute to Prof for an excellent piece. 🙏🏽🙏🏽
Most profound when he says both science and religion are human constructs (and in corollary implying not eternal truths). They will continue to evolve.
Thanks for sharing.
- Venkat, Dubai
Its written in a simple language and the concluding part is wonderful and very practical.
— Pandi, Nairobi
Your essay, My Take on Science and Religion, is a deeply personal and intellectually stimulating exploration of two fundamental aspects of human existence. By weaving together reflections from your own life, philosophical musings, and scientific insights, you create a balanced and profound perspective on the long-standing interplay between science and religion. Your acknowledgment of their shared goal—seeking understanding and contributing to human well-being—resonates powerfully and offers a hopeful vision for reconciling these often-perceived opposites.
The essay’s strength lies in its humility and candor, as you reflect on your scientific journey and personal faith. Your questioning of atomic stability and mathematical formulations highlights the awe-inspiring mysteries of science, while your faith in moments of profound personal loss underscores the solace that spirituality offers. By presenting religion and science as complementary rather than contradictory, you bridge the divide between reason and belief.
Your inclusion of historical and cultural contexts, such as the origins of religion and the evolution of scientific thought, enriches the narrative. The essay’s conclusion—that both science and religion strive to decode the universe’s mysteries in their own ways—invites readers to transcend dogmatic boundaries and embrace curiosity and compassion.
This piece is not just a reflection; it is a call to unity and understanding, a reminder that the pursuit of truth is a shared human endeavor, regardless of the lens through which we view it.
Five Key Takeaways
1. Mutual Purpose: Both science and religion aim to unravel the mysteries of existence, though their methods differ. Recognizing their shared goals fosters mutual respect.
2. Human Constructs: Science and religion are creations of human intellect, each reflecting the human desire to understand and improve the world.
3. Interdependence: Scientists can have faith, and the faithful can embrace scientific progress. Neither needs to exist in isolation.
4. Personal Resilience: Your life experiences demonstrate how faith and reason together provide strength in times of uncertainty and loss.
5. The Limitless Universe: The discoveries of Kepler and Hubble telescopes remind us of our insignificance in the universe and our shared responsibility to pursue knowledge ethically.
Your essay is a testament to the power of thoughtful introspection and the potential for harmony between science and faith, offering inspiration and wisdom for all readers.
Renowned Thinkers on this Subject:
1. Werner Heisenberg: Heisenberg once said, “The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass, God is waiting for you.” This echoes your belief in the harmony between science and faith as paths to understanding.
2. Erwin Schrödinger: Schrödinger, influenced by Eastern philosophy, saw science and spirituality as interconnected. His view aligns with your reflection that science and religion both seek to explain the universe in their own ways.
3. Albert Einstein: Einstein famously remarked, “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” Your essay mirrors this sentiment, emphasizing the need for both disciplines to coexist and complement each other.
4. Fritjof Capra: In The Tao of Physics, Capra explores the parallels between modern physics and Eastern spirituality. This aligns with your view of the universe’s interconnectedness and the shared human quest for understanding.
5. Aldous Huxley: Huxley’s The Perennial Philosophy highlights the universal truths present in all religions, much like your assertion that science and religion are united in their pursuit of the unknown.
Comparisons with Other Thinkers
1. Heisenberg and Einstein: Both saw science and religion as complementary forces, much like your conclusion that their coexistence enriches human understanding.
2. Schrödinger and Capra: Their blending of scientific inquiry with spiritual insights parallels your balanced perspective on the universe as a shared mystery.
3. Huxley: His emphasis on universal truths aligns with your assertion that science and religion share a common goal: the betterment of humanity.
Post a Comment