I was invited to be the closing keynote speaker for a business offsite in South Carolina.
After a nice cup of morning coffee, I was running through the presentation in my mind, as I unfolded my light blue dress shirt and twirled my right arm up to slide into it. It felt a bit tight to put my other arm in and I wondered if the shirt was still buttoned. I struggled into the shirt anyway, and I stared stupidly into the mirror as the shirt looked like a brassiere on me!
I paused the presentation running in my head and focused on this matter at hand. After a couple of ticks of the clock, I suddenly realized that it was my high school senior son's shirt.
His ONLY dress shirt, may I add ....?!
I was at the end of my week of travel and I was down to my last pair of everything. I was on a remote island, where the mention of 7-11 might have elicited a scratch on the head. I ran down to the reception at the resort and explained my predicament. The gift shop was closed, but the friendly manager opened it anyway. Rather than just tank tops and bermuda shorts, the gift shop did have a collection of dress shits; hugely overpriced for suckers like me!
I purchased it thankfully, ironed it and threw it on. My troubles were not over yet ....
I was in the presentation hall talking to the audio technicians in the back, getting ready to go on stage. I felt a sharp poke in my throat. To my horror I realized that I had failed to remove one of the needle/pins that new shirts have to hold the collar together.
So while the audio technician was putting on the lavalier microphone, I gently worked on the said pin and eased it out before it caused any physical or vocal harm to me!
I had enough adrenaline flowing through me at the point, that finding the energy to deliver a good presentation was not an issue!
Hope you enjoy these photos below from Charleston, SC.
After a nice cup of morning coffee, I was running through the presentation in my mind, as I unfolded my light blue dress shirt and twirled my right arm up to slide into it. It felt a bit tight to put my other arm in and I wondered if the shirt was still buttoned. I struggled into the shirt anyway, and I stared stupidly into the mirror as the shirt looked like a brassiere on me!
I paused the presentation running in my head and focused on this matter at hand. After a couple of ticks of the clock, I suddenly realized that it was my high school senior son's shirt.
His ONLY dress shirt, may I add ....?!
I was at the end of my week of travel and I was down to my last pair of everything. I was on a remote island, where the mention of 7-11 might have elicited a scratch on the head. I ran down to the reception at the resort and explained my predicament. The gift shop was closed, but the friendly manager opened it anyway. Rather than just tank tops and bermuda shorts, the gift shop did have a collection of dress shits; hugely overpriced for suckers like me!
I purchased it thankfully, ironed it and threw it on. My troubles were not over yet ....
I was in the presentation hall talking to the audio technicians in the back, getting ready to go on stage. I felt a sharp poke in my throat. To my horror I realized that I had failed to remove one of the needle/pins that new shirts have to hold the collar together.
So while the audio technician was putting on the lavalier microphone, I gently worked on the said pin and eased it out before it caused any physical or vocal harm to me!
I had enough adrenaline flowing through me at the point, that finding the energy to deliver a good presentation was not an issue!
Hope you enjoy these photos below from Charleston, SC.






3 comments:
Funny. I see a sitcom script in there somewhere….
BTW, my sister just got back from Charleston – visiting friends. She said that it’s one of her favorite cities. Never been… but I hear that in addition to its architectural beauty, it’s got some great restaurants too.
Hope the pin attack didn’t prevent you from scarfing some of it….
It would hv been great to also include a pic of you in your son’s shirt :)
Funny! Great photos, too.
Post a Comment