August 06, 2018

Olá Lisbon

With its exceptional seafood and fine port, Lisbon is a fun place to visit.  It did feel disorienting to gaze at the Atlantic westward!  Hope you enjoy this photo essay ....

I.  Cabo Da Roca - End of the world
This west-most point of continental Europe was once thought to be the end of the world



II.  Sintra - Weekend Retreat
Sintra which is ~10 degrees cooler than Lisbon was the weekend retreat for Royalty

Pena Palace

Moors ruled Portugal in the 8th century

III.  San Francisco, Portugal
The hills, trams and "golden gate" gives Lisbon a distinct SFO vibe



IV.  Public art
Graffiti, art and tile work mix seamlessly throughout Lisbon




VI.  Fado Music
Fado Music is ~400 years old originally sung by homesick sailors



VII.  Seafood
From street side to high end - all seafood is exceptional, cod being the most prevalent


VIII.  Old Town
Alfama is like Russian Hill in San Francisco, only much older.


IX.  Seafarers Artifacts
Portuguese seafaring history is in museums all over Lisbon

Monument of the Discoveries - off to India in the 14th Century
Hieronymous Bosch Painting

X.  Salut
Initiating a young adult to aged port


We got quite comfortable wandering around the city.  Towards the end of the week, a tourist family asked me if I knew where the nearest metro station was.

I gave them a bem vindo a Lisbon smile and pointed to the metro stop a block away.



 

9 comments:

Girish said...

Great! Good pictures!

Gautam said...

Seems like fun!

Tim said...

You’re right, a very San Francisco vibe.

BTW, regarding that last picture’s caption, I’d never heard you refer to yourself as ‘port’ before….

Shrinath said...

Nice, Just returned from Tanzania-fun

Mike Hodin said...

Fabulous. Looks like a wonderful trip. I especially like the one with your son. We treasure these moments!

Peter said...

I enjoy seeing the world through others’ eyes.

My daughter and I just went to the Gehry-designed biomuseum in Panama (http://www.biomuseopanama.org/en) and it reminded me that I want to see the Guggenheim in Bilbao.

Cary said...

Love it! We’ve been to Portugal twice in the last six years — one of our favorite places. Our first trip was 2012; our second was part of my 50th birthday celebration which spanned Morocco and Portugal. Lisbon, in particular, is a great mix of the old and the ‘new’. It’s also nice that it is less expensive than may of our other favorite cities in Europe - Paris, London, Rome, etc. (We are in Italy now in fact — Rome, Puglia, Venice!!)

Jana said...

great photo essay

Bob said...

You ARE your father’s son! Great pictures.

Post a Comment