June 25, 2019

Book Review: The Golden Predicament

The Golden Predicament
A book review of I, Claudius through the lens of Game of Thrones


I picked up a copy of the book I, Claudius with three weeks to spare in my freshman year. Game of Thrones had just wrapped up on TV and anything to break up the monotonous web-surfing by a college student was welcome. My dad for years had gushed about how taken away he’d been by the award-winning 1976 BBC drama, where Brian Blessed, Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips, and a young Jon Hurt earned their spurs. Before the Game of Thrones series had even been conjured up, both the I, Claudius book itself (considered to be one of the great 20th century historical fiction novels) and the show (netting 4 BAFTAs) won their audiences over with the adventures and follies of its titular hero.

Set as the final embers of Republican Rome die out, the book traces the rise of the future emperor Tiberius Claudius Caesar from the early Augustan period through the reign of Tiberius and Caligula and up to his ascent to Emperor of Rome. Born crippled and physically deformed, Claudius is subjected to a brutally abusive upbringing that leaves him an outcast from the Imperial hierarchy. Despite being considered weak and simple by his contemporaries, his gentle spirit, fierce intelligence and keen passion for history endear him to those close to him, namely his brother Germanicus, best friend Postumus, philosopher Athenodorus, and the legendary historian Livy. These qualities, combined with a deep understanding of the empire’s politics, allow him to survive as Rome descends into political chaos and terror throughout his life. Graves paints a captivating but cynical portrait of the early Roman Empire in I, Claudius, reveling in endless conquest and glory but fraught with intrigue, corruption, and an ever-more dictatorial power structure.

Before A Song of Ice and Fire catapulted him to fame, a young George R.R. Martin earned his name in television, writing screenplays for both the 1980’s Twilight Zone revival and the 1987 TV adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. Given his background and propensity for drawing from history to build his worlds, it’s no wonder that I, Claudius would form an enduring foundation for much of what became Westeros, the fictional setting for the Game of Thrones series. The parallels are stunning: a prosperous autocratic nation beset by ambitious nobles, bloodthirsty politics, a scheming ruling household, and the threat of military disaster. There’s no surprise that inspiration for some of the series’ most colorful figures were drawn from Graves’ work.
Claudius himself is in many ways the spitting image of Tyrion Lannister: a bookish and sharp-minded intellectual who though belittled as weak for his handicaps eventually uses the chaos of his country to rise to the top. His wicked, conniving sister (Livilla and Cersei) and kind-hearted, golden child brother (Germanicus and Jamie) make the comparison all the more evident. The rest of the Lannisters are near carbon copies of the Julio-Claudians. The maddened and sadistic young Caligula could well be Joffery Baratheon plopped down in Imperial Rome. Livia, the amoral matriarch whose cold and brutal machinations ultimately keep the Empire running, is the embodiment of Tywin Lannister.

Martin has further been on the record stating that George Baker’s portrayal of Tiberius was heavy inspiration for Stannis Baratheon. That comparison certainly holds water: cold, pragmatic, and an utterly merciless soldier whose incredible skill as military commanders are blemished by bitter misery when not leading troops in the field. Tiberius’ unending moral struggle in heeding the advice of his two advisors, the noble and upstanding Nerva and the treacherous but ruthlessly effective Sejanus likely formed the basis for the dynamic between Stannis and his own subordinates. The humble-born Ser Davos Seaworth and the mysterious sorcerer Lady Melisandre bring out the best and worst qualities in their king as they engage in a tug-of-war between justice and fanaticism.

Graves writes I, Claudius in the manner of a historian, a fact that makes sense given his main character’s obsession with history as an outlet and escape. His attention to detail is a sight to behold, and Ancient Rome in all its vibrancy is brought to life through his detailed accounts of its history and customs. The subject of morality is a core concept within the book: most of its characters fall under a vast spectrum ranging from paragons of virtue to vile predators. Some of the most important people in the book, Livia and Augustus chief among them, are incredibly complicated figures who can’t be boxed into those labels because of both the isolated and macro-historical significance of their actions. Claudius’ growth as a character is equally fascinating as he learns come into his own and use his weaknesses as a survival tool that would leave him the last man standing. While Watching Claudius rise from the hardships of his life to become Caesar is rewarding in its own right, the strength of Graves’ novel is in its diverse and layered ensemble cast. Death, exile, and murder constantly cause the carousel of important figures to rotate, but Graves takes great care in making sure that they remain consistent, well-written, and for the most part multi-dimensional.

Of course, a historian’s work can be a challenge for people averse to the dryness that can occasionally take over chapters of the book. I also recommend keeping handy a rough idea of the timeline and history of the Early Imperial period; the book can get horribly convoluted otherwise. Now that I’ve finished this volume up, we’re on to Claudius the God, which covers Claudius from his ascent to emperor until his death. After that, binging through the show (apparently is available on Amazon Prime) with the books as a reference sounds like a fine idea!
Rahul Kolluri


“I am now about to write this strange history of my life; starting from my earliest childhood and continuing year by year until I reach the fateful point of change where, some eight years ago, at the age of fifty-one, I suddenly found myself caught in what I may call the "golden predicament" from which I have never since become disentangled.”  - -  As Claudius narrates in the book.

15 comments:

Raef said...

Very cool. I hadn’t heard or thought of the connection between the two works.

I’m especially taken by the comparison of Tyrion to Claudius!

Enjoy Claudius the God. He didn’t turn bad!

Skip said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful summary, Rahul. As a big Game of Thrones fan, I'm now intrigued enough to pursue this as part of my own summer reading (or listening if its available on Audible).

Laura said...

That is terrific!! Really well written, Rahul has a way with words, and an excellent comparative piece, not to mention a primer on what makes George R.R. Martin tick!

I love that Rahul voluntarily read I Claudius as a freshman and saw the immediate parallels to GOT. I especially like how he sees Sir Davos and the Red Lady as the kind of external conscience of Stannis Baratheon, good call!

His piece got to me and I am adding I Claudius to my watch list for when I get back from Italy.

I really enjoyed his piece!

Kim said...

Wow – now I have to read these books! Love the parallels.

My favorite binge-worthy show is Black Sails; and there are a lot of parallels to Greek mythology (twins; pathos, legos, ethos) and what I saw as connections to early forms of capitalism and the pre-American Revolution.

Rahul is a great writer – is this something he is pursuing?

Kris said...

What a great piece of writing. So precise in his analysis and an easy read to boot. Good work

RVK said...

The review is excellent. It is always fascinating to read about the Roman history and their great achievements in architecture and administration. However, they are a classic example of what happens when success goes to their head, which only leads to downfall. Congratulations and blessings to Rahul

Friends said...

Venkat

We have previously had introduction to Rahul’s writing when you had shared his penning on a history related idea (war if I remember right) - quite some time ago.

I was in complete awe reading this.

I am not talking about the profundity of the subject or the mastery of the language - but it is the wonderment of the analysis that proclaims experience!!

Age/experience is what I had always thought allows better comprehension of history; it gains from repeated practice.

Rahul is hardly 20 years of age. It puts paid to my own conception.

Brilliant!!!




Thara:

What an inspiring review by Rahul of I, Claudius and through the lens of GOT makes it more interesting .

Enjoyed reading it.

I am curious to read the book now and to know about Roman history also.

So I can find almost all the Lannisters in this book again-
Tyrion,Tywin,Cercei,
Jaime and Joffery .

I was searching for Daenerys ,Jonsnow Arya,Sansa also.😊

Looks this is an interesting historical novel.

Rahul is going to overtake you in future. It is amazing prodigious stuff.



Susee

Went through Rahul’s review. Even without knowledge about Claudius or GOT, I’m awestruck by his excellent review! πŸ‘Œ



Prabhakar

I Finished reading Rahul’s writeup of I, Claudius and the parallels to GOT. Very interesting take and convincing arguments. Good workπŸ‘

Tim Burke said...

Wow, I had not made that connection. Very interesting.

Also well written.

Tim said...

Wow, I had not made that connection. Very interesting.

Also well written.

Ssr said...

A review should enable one to read the book or avoid it. Rahul's review prompts one to read the book. I have never been fascinated by emperors and kings. Though I would not read the book, I would like to congratulate young Rahul on his excellent review.

Paul said...

Tell Rahul that this was a fabulous review. I read I, Claudius the summer after my freshman year -- i.e. the same moment in the life course as Rahul -- and enjoyed it immensely. The following summer I read the sequel, (Claudius the God, I think) and, as I recall, it is quite different. I, Claudius has a happy ending, in so far as it was possible to have a happy ending in the Roman Empire, and it all comes unstuck in Claudius the God.

David Kirshner said...

Rahul has a clear and engaging writing style to go along with his warmth and generous spirit. You and Mini have done an amazing job! I truly enjoyed reading the blog as I love both Claudius and Tyrion Lannister. Two peas in a pod!

Mike Hodin said...

A great story and wonderful review!!!

Tim Burke said...

Wow, I had not made that connection. Very interesting.

Also well written.

Mike Kirshner said...

Very good. Impressive.

Post a Comment