AARP has an initiative called The Global Council on Brain Health which has five pillars which include: Move, Discover, Relax, Nourish, and Connect. Sleep is identified as one of the main drivers of Brain Health in this context and they have an entire report called the Brain-Sleep Connection.
Also, my perspective is that of a lay reader (in the finance field, no less) - so any scientific debate regarding these insights is for the experts to settle!
Top 10 learnings from Matt Walker's Book, Why We Sleep:
10. Melatonin provides the official starting signal for sleep to start.
As a heavy traveler for both business and pleasure that has taken me around the globe for over 30 years, I have always wondered about what Melatonin actually does; but never have tried it myself. This insight that melatonin is a starting signal was very useful.
iPads: Sleep research shows that compared to reading a printed book, reading on an iPad suppresses melatonin release by over 50 percent at night. iPad reading delayed the rise of melatonin by up to three hours, relative to the natural rise in these same individuals when reading a printed book.
In experiments, when reading on the iPad, instruction to sleep did not occur until the early-morning hours, rather than before midnight. Thus individuals took longer to fall asleep after iPad reading relative to reading paper editions.
Alarm Clocks: The alarm clock jangles the nervous system to waking up and gets it into a fight or flight mode. A bad way to wake one's system up, it turns out. And the snooze button repeatedly does this to detrimental health effects.
I shared this with my son Rahul, a sophomore in college. We were out skiing over the holidays at this time. I got up early in the morning to get ready for skiing, and without missing a beat, in the middle of his sleep he quipped, "Dad, you are getting my flight or fight response going..!"
Then he rolled over in his bed and went back to sleep.
9. Caffeine has an average half-life of five to seven hours.
The half life of caffeine and its effects is an interesting concept (just like nuclear half life that we know in popular culture). We learn that 50% of the effect of coffee is left in your system approximately 6 hours after we drink it. And 25% 12 hours later.
The author shares experiments by NASA scientists who found that spiders exposed different drugs included LSD, speed (amphetamine), marijuana, and caffeine had the worst impact on their spider web building with caffeine.
![]() |
| From the book: Impact of Caffeine on spider web creation |
According to the author, regardless of the amount of recovery opportunity, the brain never comes close to getting back all the sleep it has lost. That humans can never “sleep back” that which we have previously lost is perhaps my key learning from this book.
In an experiment subjects were tested whether their functioning could return to optimal after lack of sleep with later recovery. Even after three nights of ad lib recovery sleep, their performance did not return to that observed at the original baseline assessment when those same individuals had been getting a full eight hours of sleep regularly.
Matt Walker has this to say about people who claim they can get by with less than 7-8 hours of sleep: "Sixty years of scientific research prevent me from accepting anyone who tells me that he or she can “get by on just four or five hours of sleep a night just fine.”
So much for cities that never sleep and pulling all-nighters!
7. Impact of lack of sleep
According to the author, we are physically and emotionally dependent upon sleep.
Insufficient sleep apparently causes telomeres at the end of one's chromosomes become damaged, making one's DNA spirals become exposed and your now vulnerable genetic code cannot operate properly, like a fraying shoelace without a tip. I love the shoelace-cap metaphor that the author uses - easy to understand and remember! Thus lack of sleep can lead to detrimental health effects.
On the topic of Alzheimer's disease in particular, Matt Walker says that sleep disturbance precedes the onset of Alzheimer’s disease by several years, suggesting that it may be an early-warning sign of the condition, or even a contributor to it.
I serve on the Board of the Alzheimer's Association in New England and am thus interested in this subject. I found the extensive treatment that Matt Walker gives to Alzherimer's Disease in his book full of fresh insights.
6. We sleep in 90-minute cycles that include the so-called NREM and REM Sleep.
NREM sleep or deep sleep which predominates early in the night does the work of weeding out and removing unnecessary neural connections.
REM Sleep or the dreaming stage of sleep, which comes into play later in the sleep cycle, plays a role in strengthening neural connections.
Share of REM / NREM sleep:
- For a 6-month old infant it is: 50% each share between NREM and REM sleep.
- For a 5-year old it is a 70 - 30 share between NREM and REM sleep.
- For late teens it is 80 - 20 NREM vs REM sleep and remains so to mid-adulthood.
Sleep Efficiency: As we age, there is fragmentation, that is we wake up throughout the night. There are many causes, including interacting medications and diseases, and also a weakened bladder.
5. NREM: For long-term memories
Each night, during the NREM deep sleep, the brain will move memories of recent experiences from a short-term storage site to a long-term storage location. Thus, if we don't accrue deep sleep, we are not forming long term memories!
A region of the brain called the hippocampus helps store the information collected during the day. But it has a limited storage capacity. Deep sleep clears out the hippocampus, replenishing this short-term information repository with plentiful free space.
So if we don't experience deep sleep, we have not given a chance for the memories to be trasnferred to long term storage; rather the next day the hippocampus is over-written with the next day's new experiences.
Matt Walker reminds us of Simon and Garfunkel's song The Sounds of Silence. This one of my favorite songs for sure! The author explains that the song describes greeting their old friend, darkness (sleep). And the relaying of the day’s waking events to the sleeping brain at night in the form of a vision, softly creeping. Finally how those fragile seeds of waking experience, sown during the day, have now been in the brain during sleep.
Simon & Garfunkel, brain science pioneers - just sayin' ...!
4. REM: Dreaming can soothe painful memories and inspire creativity.
There have been all kinds of symbolic interpretations of dreams in popular culture, that are frankly hard to shake. The book with its abundant explanation of scientific experiments convincingly resets the understanding of dreaming as a biological function with attendant benefits. Along the way, in an extensive section of the book the author (and current neuroscience) demolishes Freudian Psycho-analysis (sigh!).
Examples abound of aha moments during sleep. They include Mendelev and the Periodic Table, Paul McCartney and the song Let it Be, Otto Loewi and neurotransmitters, Edison and his inventions and Shelley and Frankenstein.
Autism and REM Sleep: Autistic individuals show a 30 to 50 percent deficit in the amount of REM sleep they obtain, relative to children without autism. This is more of a correlation than a causation perhaps - but what a correlation!
3. Practice plus Sleep makes perfect
The brain continues to improve skill memories in the absence of further practice. This learning occurs exclusively across a period of sleep, and not across equivalent time periods spent awake. Practice does not make perfect. It is practice, followed by a night of sleep, that leads to perfection.
The author jokes, if you don’t snooze, you lose.
2. Micro-sleep
During a micro-sleep, the brain becomes blind to the outside world for a brief moment, that is for 1-2 seconds. Control of our motor actions, such as those necessary for operating a steering wheel or a brake pedal, will momentarily cease during micro-sleep.
As a result, two seconds of micro-sleep at 30 mph can result in the vehicle changing lanes (perhaps onto oncoming traffic).
Getting behind the wheel of a car when having slept just four hours or less the night before and the chances of being involved in a car accident are 11.5 times higher. One can imagine the harmful effects of micro-sleep on professions such as truck driving.
1. Good sleeping Habits
There is a very useful appendix to the book where the author gives 12 tips for healthy sleep including: gaining daily sunlight exposure, developing asleep schedule, not too late with eating, exercise or naps, avoiding alcohol, caffeine & medications (if possible)
And .... (ahem, note to self) no iPads before sleep!
In Conclusion ....
Why We Sleep is a well written, accessible and timely book that I recommend just to get a handle on how sleep works and its importance.
Without sleepwalking, I suggest you that you might get this book!






25 comments:
The part about Autism and sleep differences is fascinating. And yes, we need to value sleep far more than we do now!
Nice....
The small aperture devices are harmful to the brain (eyes, thoughts, .....)
Top ophthalmology researcher / neighbor told that to my son (who wants studies to establish facts) ...
Studies take much longer to come out .... harmful effects come first ...
These are powerful computers (all tho small in size). if we keep this phone in our chest pocket (shirt) it is like tying a powerful tower pc (switched on) to our chest .... ...
Good mail ... plan to send it to my family folks
Thanks for this. Perfect timing after a bad sleep night.
Sleep is my healthy longevity weak point (like you, too much travel and multiple and irregular work demands). Something I clearly need to work on in ’20.
Keep the reviews coming…
Wishing you a happy and productive 2020. I am sharing this review with some friends and family members.
Pretty interesting and insightful. !! Your review is meaningful and balanced.. !!
Thank you! So informative. I can say my giving up Diet Coke and caffeine was life changing for my sleep.
Also it is scary the impact of phones and iPads late at night on sleep. Why Apple and Samsung invented dark mode to try to reduce the light being generated from the phones.
Very interesting stuff.
I vaguely remember reading or listening to a neuroscientist a couple of years ago or so explain how important it is for oldsters to get good sleep. Something which becomes increasingly difficult for the reasons you covered. I sort of remember something about the reason good sleep is so important is because sleep clears out the ‘junk’, the piling up of which contributes to Alzheimer’s. Not sure if I’ve got that right, but it was alarming as I too don’t get the steady REM sleep like I used to.
And I’ve noticed that, unlike when I was young, I sleep less-well on nights that I drink instead of more deeply – at least that’s how it seemed when I was younger.
So does that mean I’m giving up drinking altogether?
What do you think?
Thank you for sharing the summary-as good as reading the book.
Great capture of the essence of the book...more importantly thank you for the commentary done by you..it was or rather better than reading the whole book...
You have made it easy by Summarising a good and worthwhile subject of study . Ok one of your earlier write up om another book you had described the various functions that happen within the brain and their sequences . I distinctly remember the change in the cerebral fluid volume change as a proof of how unwanted stuff of the day is flushed out to make space for the next day. Here you have gone ahead to introduce the do and don’ts to get the complete health benefits of sleeping fully. It becomes all the more
Important as you have established the link to Azheimer’s. Good work keep it up
I have a love and passion for books, philosophy, psychology and learning, and I treasure the fact that you seem to get this and, subsequently, share your interests and intellect with me. I will be leaving the office shortly with a printed copy of this amazing, well-written and insightful review and can’t wait to read it slowly and thoroughly this evening. Of course, I couldn’t help but read it immediately, but tonight I will digest it in its entirety. If it is all right with you, I would love to share this with my older daughter, who is a Psychotherapist with a strong belief in the importance of sleep. I thank you very much again for the respect you’ve shown me in sharing your work.
Thank you - will check out the Ted Talk as well!
Thank you I have added to my 2020 list of books to read. This is definitely making me rethink some of my daily routines around sleep ....
Thank you for sharing, I added it to my 2020 vision board. Perfect timing!
Great information. I continue to be grateful for all you do.
Thanks. I so lecture about sleep all the time. Ever since I had breakfast with Arianna Huffington a few years ago. I have always been a big believer in the importance of sleep.
Thank you for sharing - fascinating data.
It also validates my preference for reading print (old school) rather than using iPad!
Loved the book review. Gave a great snapshot. Keep these coming!
Thanks. Great summary. I am very intrigued and will be reading this book soon.
I truly appreciate your insights. Please never drop me from your distribution list. LOL
Thank you - this could not have been better timed. The holidays wiped me out and I feel like I am in desperate need of sleep. I went to bed last night assuming i could recover lost sleep - but according to your point#8, I can't!!
This is wonderful. Love how you recapped the book! Thank you!!
I too, was enthralled after reading the book but disappointed that the author might have embellished some of the studies.
Thanks for reading both the book and the review. In my observation, the nature of science is debate. Particularly Brain Science and Psychology! The debate between Daniel Dennett and John Searle for example.
This is a pop science book - so you or I as lay readers should take it as such.
Excellent, comprehensive, insightful review that also distills the information well. Now I don't have to read the book��!
Post a Comment