I just finished "Cakes & Ale" by Somerset Maugham; this, on the heels of Howard's End by E.M. Forster.
I do love the period between the two wars - James Hilton is my favorite author from that era - Lost Horizon, Random Harvest etc.
Cakes & Ale - about writers, writing and reputations. Although Maugham is catty about Hugh Walpole and full of praise for Thomas Hardy, the meditation on writing was sublime.
Howard's End - is the better book. Distinctions of class, and materialistic vs idealistic views of life. Very, very good!
I also finished off the lesser known works of James Hilton to round him out - We are not alone and So Well remembered (middling works...).
I would like to turn my attention to New England writers now - just started off by listening Self-Reliance on Audible by Emerson and an essay on Emerson by Santayana.
This might well be my 2020 theme... (don't know if it will work out - but that's the idea!)
No comments:
Post a Comment