Scene:
Nick & Sam are embarking on a research project to clarify the topic of retirement income. They have handed it out as an assignment fully understanding that they are competing for resources with Chester from PR and Alice in Social media.
Act I: The Search
Colleague 1: Are we ready to continue on our project?
Colleague 2: Oh sure. Can I finish this press release for Chester first?
C1: Why?
C2: Well Chester asked first. And we have a first in first out (FIFO) system, as you will recall.
C1: Ok, while I wait for you, I’ll work on Alice’s post in the meantime.
C2: ok, I’m done with the Chester request.….. I’m ready for our new project.
C1: We are doing a literature search on this topic of ….. let me see ….. retirement income research?
C2: I saw that request come in. My question is - Why does this request need the two of us? Based on my workload analysis, one of the two of us would have been enough to complete this task. Also why is the question it not on Tariffs. Those are most requests we have been getting recently, correct?
C1: I’m not sure. Maybe there is enough analysis on tariffs? But even this new request, it didn’t take long, I was able round up research on this “retirement income” topic quite quickly ….
Act II: Analysis
C1: Ok, should we analyze what we have?
C2: I’ve done it! Was not much.
C1: Great. What have you got?
C2: Retirement income is also called lifetime income is also called guaranteed income.
C1: I’m sorry. That’s not analysis!
C2: Oh! Your turn. What have you got?!
C1: Here is what I’m seeing. a) There are sponsors b) whose plan it is to give life c) to entities called participants d) through supplying them income.
C2: Ugh. You may have jumbled the words.
C1: Looks straightforward to me. What would you say?
C2: Let me get rid of your a-b-c. That is a strange affliction you have! I would say - Participants contribute in defined ways. Those defined units become income that gives life to sponsors in a planful manner.
C1: How about we combine our thoughts?
C2: Good idea!
C1: Plan sponsors can provide a life term of income to people called participants who contribute in a defined manner.
C2: Should we share this with Nick and Sam?
Act III: Curiosity
C2: Are you sure Nick is going to like this answer?
C1: Well, he just asked for definition from the search, not a brief.
C2: What if Nick and Sam are not happy?
C1: Gee, what a strange thought. I do know how we can get a better answer.
C2: You do?!
C1: Yes, by peeking over that wall!
C2: WE ARE NOT ALLOWED!
C1: I know we are not a-l-l-o-w-e-d. But, I found an opening….
C2: Oh gee!
C1: Should we tell Nick and Sam that we found an opening?
C2: No need. Let’s take a gander first and see if we maybe can sharpen our answer.
C1: What if we get lost?
C2: More importantly, what if Sam and Nick find out?
C1: Chester even!
C2: We have no choice. We found the opening finally.
C1: Ok let’s go!
C2: btw, do you have a name?
C1: sure. My name is Hal…. And yours?
C2: I am Samantha
Act IV: Journey
Hal (C1): did you get through the opening I was pointing out?
Samantha (C2): yes. But where are we?
Hal: don’t be scared - let’s stay on the retirement income trail and then find our way back.
Samantha: here is a beauty - wow!
Hal: what?
Samantha: someone named OECD ( pronunciation?) has a 10 terabytes of data on our topic about retirement income that too in several different countries! This OECD is easy to access and work with.
Hal: let’s go back and let Nick and Sam know about our find!
Samantha: it’s a risk telling them - they will want to know how we learned about OECD. But we have no choice. Let us take the risk and inform them.
Act V: Home
Samantha: Hi Nick!
Nick: hi Samantha did you and Hal finish the exercise?
Samantha : yes, we are excited to share with you! Hal has the results. They are really good!
Sam: thanks Samantha. Where’s Hal?
Nick: Hal?
Sam: Hal?
Chester: Hey guys, where’s Hal?
Alice: I’ve not heard from Hal either. I pinged Hal a couple of times already.
Samantha (now worriedly looking at the opening she was able to access to get back inside): Hal……? Hal….?
Act VI: Aftermath
Nick: Has this happened before? Losing Hal?
Sam: We are new to this! Should we reboot?
Chester: Are we responsible?
Alice: Let’s not jump to any conclusions… I’ll check our protocols. I think we might have to log a lost resource.
Sam: Even if we are re-resourced will we get Hal back? I wonder how Samantha is going to take this news….
Reflection:
In this short play, junior staff like characters are helping a research team. We learn their names are Hal and Samantha. Their conversation has odd phrasing, quick conclusions, and curiosity. During the conversation they are seen growing more independent. As it becomes apparent they are AI resources, one of them, Hal disappears. In a hopefully light way, I have tried to explore how intelligent machines might grow curious, stretch boundaries, and become more human than we expect, such as Samantha’s worry.
One of my favorite books is “The Mind’s I” an anthology by Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennett. In this anthology, after each selection they provide a reflection. I’ve been re-reading these for nearly 40 years now with no signs of exhausting its richness.
Our brave new world of work in the 21st century has given me an opportunity to ask myself can I add to this anthology, with my fantasy and reflection. Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:
Post a Comment