I was sipping my coffee looking at the pleasant vista of the yard with one of our bird feeders in the foreground. I noticed a tail swishing straight out of the bird feeder. A squirrel had undone the cap of a vertically hanging bird feeder and found its way in.
“Pesky squirrel,” I said to myself, sighing at the ongoing battle of wits between man and squirrel.
When I came back for my second cup of coffee, it was still there but the swishy tail was shorter. I realized the squirrel was stuck!
I went out and, with gloves on, tried to yank the squirrel by its tail, and it yelped. So I laid the feeder on the ground by nearby plants so that it was no longer vertical. An hour later, when I came back to check, the squirrel had extricated itself. Whew!
I laid the feeder on the ground to set it up later.
Then the later came about, and I went to the feeder and there was a mourning dove trapped inside it.
(Note to self: If you leave an empty bird feeder on the ground, a mourning dove is likely to enter it.)
So, hoping for a second extrication, I left the feeder by the same plants. When I came back an hour later, the dove was still in there not strong enough to extricate itself.
I went to the tool shed, got a screwdriver and pliers, and took apart the feeder and freed the dove. It could not fly away immediately, so I thought it might do so after a bit.
Having thus performed animal rescue in our backyard, I went into the house triumphantly.
She took one look at the injured bird and sprung into action. She dialed and gave me numbers to dial. We both dialed.
The first thing she said after reading a couple of sites: “I hope you didn’t feed the bird.”
I stayed still as a mouse.
She then looked at me and said, “You fed the bird!”
Presently we found a nice person at Tufts Animal Rehabilitation facility who said we could bring the bird by. They were 30 miles away.
I got instructions on how to gently capture the bird and bring it in a cushioned box. The bird started hopping towards Fred’s Garden. But it was injured enough that it gave up and let me nestle it in the box.
So off Mini and I went with the bird in the back seat of the car to Grafton, Massachusetts!
We passed by an equine farm and a Veterinary College. Beautiful landscape. The animal rescue facility itself was on gorgeous grounds.
A very nice young woman ushered us in and took the bird in the box. We did want to open the box to make sure the bird was still alive.
“It is,” she said cheerfully.
“Do you get a lot of these?” I asked.
“Oh yes,” she said, “foxes, birds and just yesterday, a one year old black bear!”
We expressed gratitude that they were open for the holiday weekend.
“Oh no,” she said, “weekends and holiday weekends are our busiest. People are out and about and they’re finding injured animals!”
We thanked her, made a donation in Fred’s name, and left for a local nursery.
As we returned home and pulled into our driveway, I said out loud, “I sure hope there is no critter waiting for us at the front door…”
———
Epilogue
The large feeder has been disposed. A new smaller feeder is in place. Birds are feeding. Squirrels are frolicking. Doves are mourning.


1 comment:
Chay:
Beautifully written. The bird turning up at the first door after the initial stage one saving is an incredible twist which kept the story going. Did it recognise the intent to help and come seeking help. A placement of trust. Nature’s beautiful.
And of course it was very right to do so.
⸻
Prashant:
A wonderful story!!
If the same happened in my garden, unfortunately the bird would not have made it.
We have a neighborhood cat 🐈⬛ that likes to hang out in our garden and takes care of squirrels and birds 🐦.
She brings them as “gifts” for us and leaves them in front of our patio door.
I have the unfortunate task of burying/disposing them.
If the cat doesn’t deal with it, we have a family of hawks waiting for their opportunity!!
Nature is beautiful but can be quite violent 😅
——
A
Talking about animals. We live in the Ramapo River Reserve where all kinds of animals are allowed to roam around in their natural habitat and we are greeted by deers, coyotes, bears and occasionally a family of bears. It is a nice and scary feeling. When I called in the cops to complain, they said you chose to live in a reserve so they can do nothing much unless these animals come inside our house. They asked me to learn coexistence.
—-
Balaji:
Very nicely written story about your rescue act Surya 👌
⸻
Shoba:
That’s very sweet of you and Mini to take all the effort in saving all the animals and birds involved. Our part of our squirrel story started with the bird feeder. Chasing the squirrels away from the bird feeder and then falling hard for them. Now, I catch myself while chasing (not chasing, chasing) the birds away when feeding the squirrels. Amazed by their personalities. 🥰🥰
⸻
Senthil:
Nice gesture SPK
Compassionate heart u both have.
The way u shared the story always SPK way of telling. Good one.👏
One month back I was just riding my bike I found group of lamb eating grasses and roaming. I heard a cry of lamb. Surprisingly its face went inside a empty 10 kg pp rice bag, since it was not able to remove by itself since it could not see it was hitting the walls and screaming மே மே மே மே. The other lambs trying to remove it could not succeed. Many were passing nearby and nobody noticed it. I stopped my bike and went near and removed the cover from its face. It went happily and joined its friends. I got a nice feel which I could not express. The story does not end here. I shared this incident to my son. Immediately he hugged me and told well done dad. (because we never receive any compliments from our kids😊).
⸻
Thara (first message):
Beautiful gesture and thanks for sharing this story in a very nice way to us SPK.
I vaguely remember a similar incident when I stayed with my elder daughter in Phoenix. One evening when she came back from office she came with a small bird (I think it was a bird – I think my memory is diminishing 😊) who was injured near her office. We took care of the bird for few days. I think she called the Tufts Center only and left in the bird there later. I will forward your story to my daughters and check my memory now. 😂
⸻
Thara (follow-up):
Checked with my younger daughter now. She confirmed my memory was correct and completed the story. It was a small bird indeed. 😊 That we followed the instructions given by the place and both my daughters left the bird in that place next day. They called my daughter few days later and informed that the bird recovered and flew.
Now my thoughts are why there are no such places available in India?
⸻
Sriki:
Surya, That is really so nice of you and Mini. Glad that you could save the squirrel and the dove 👍👍
⸻
Kanchana (to Senthil):
You receive whole group’s hug for posting such a wonderful deed of yrs rescuing screaming மே மே lamb removing the face cover 💕👏
Post a Comment