Here a couple of rookie mistakes of mine, which with the safe distance of time, I can chuckle along with you as well.
I. See you in the morning
This was the first week of travel as a young consultant. I was in Memphis Tennessee. The next morning was to be a big presentation. My job as the rookie was to carry the dozen copies of presentations to the meeting.
The evening before, the partners and senior managers decided to go out to dinner. I tagged along. I was quiet as a lamb during the whole dinner while the team discussed company politics, client politics and so on. Nobody was talking about the actual presentation that was going to be made. I had read it and it was good, but complicated with lots of details. I was wondering why they were not discussing this and what questions they might be asked by the clients.
After dinner we repaired to the bar. I meekly ordered a glass of beer and was sipping it as they continued talking and I was attentively absorbing the 'mythology' of my firm.
By this time it was already past 10 pm. Now the team wanted to head out to another bar. I had no idea what to do other than just tag along. I was pretty tired having traveled that morning, and the thought of crawling into bed was rather enticing.
So we bundled into a taxi and went off to another bar. Some after dinner drinks were ordered. I don't think I knew what I was getting into. I don't remember now after all these years if it was Port or Cognac. But it was certainly no beer!
The next thing I knew, I was waking up with a gigantic start up in my own bed. I glanced at the clock in alarm. It was 8 am. This was the appointed time were I supposed to meet the rest of the team in the hotel lobby carrying my dozen copies of the presentation.
In a panic, I rushed down to the lobby in my pyjamas, my hair in complete disarray in hotel slippers. The other guests in the elevator looked at me strangely.
As I stumbled over to my team, who were all dressed in suits with their briefcases in hand, chatting away, they saw me coming.
They started laughing as I approached them and handed them the presentations. I had failed in my task of being the one to carry the presentations to the meeting. But I made up for it by providing a morning laugh for my partners and manager that resounded and echoed in the hotel lobby.
It was painful for me. However, they all became my mentors and friends to this day.
The most senior of them, retired this past week and we exchanged the most gracious of notes.
II. Oh, the pressure!
Another time I was flying to another city from New York. These were the days when the airlines served proper meals in trays with silver ware.
These days of course they actually charge you for peanuts and for checking your bags.
It was early in the morning. I distinctly remember being in the middle seat with one of my more experienced colleagues sitting to my side.
Breakfast was served on a tray. It was some combination of pastries, cereal milk, fruit and yogurt. I saw my colleague watching me out of the corner of my eye.
I figured I needed to mind my manners like not spilling or making too much noise while eating. But there was something suspicious about how he kept glancing at me.
I almost finished my breakfast and picked up the cup of yogurt. It had a peelable flap on top. As I lifted it closer to me and opened it, I was totally shocked. And my colleague started chuckling.
The difference in air pressure between the cup and the airplane caused the yougurt to splurt out and dump itself on my tie.
I did not know the way to open a yogurt cup on an airplane was having the flap face away with a napkin on the other side.
I had to go to the bathroom and wash the yogurt off the tie. That did not work. So when we got off the plane, I had to go buy one at the airport.
(by the way, I can't tell you how many ties have been ruined by starbucks coffee spilling over my ties on cab rides - and that is no rookie mistake!)
Back at the client when the team was having lunch, I was teased about handling yogurt cups with care.
III. Smile!
I was asked to join a team in Maryland, way past Chesapeake Bay. It was a small company and we were trying to help them gain 'efficiencies.' I was yet to realize that meant cost cutting and potential layoffs. Worse, I was yet to find out that if you were coming to a company in a small town to 'bring efficiencies', the town knows about it.
I got off at Reagan National Airport in Washington DC. I went over to the Car Rental counter to get a car. Because our company rented a lot for travel, I was asked if I would like a free upgrade. Not realizing what that meant I said yes.
When I got to the parking lot, I saw this yacht-sized car - a Lincoln Town car. It was so big, that I was not even sure I could handle it. It had luxurious leather seating and electronic controls for the seats, seat warming heaters and so on.
I jumped into the car and took a beautiful drive in Maryland towards the sea coast, over the Chesapeake Bridge to this very small town. It was not difficult to spot the company at all - it was pretty much the only company there.
I pulled up to the front of the building where there were other modest looking cars, mine being the only standout.
As I got out of the car, went to the trunk and to get my briefcase I heard some noise behind me. As I turned around there was somebody who took a picture and went away.
I thought nothing of it.
The next morning to my shock, while at breakfast, I saw my picture in the local newspaper. There I was with this big car, trunk open reaching out for my briefcase The caption said something like, 'New York Consultant removes company papers."
The saving grace was that my face was not seen well. But the huge car was glaringly obvious.
I walked into the company that morning, not knowing what to expect, but fearing the worst.
Both the company executives and my senior team members knew about this, since they had also seen the papers, but made light of it. The local newspaper apparently had been publishing innuendos and rumors for several weeks now feeding the fears of the locals. I was the latest victim in this saga.
My manager did later in the day take me aside and asked me to leave the car back at the hotel for the rest of the trip and take rides in his more modest car.
------------------------------
We all make rookie mistakes. I don't think there is a way around it. One just hopes one is surrounded by good mentors and managers to protect you and teach you when you 'step into it.' But of course, what they want in return is a laugh at your expense. A small price to pay?
Back to the question of epistemology. The questions that are asked in this field are:
- What is knowledge?
- How is knowledge acquired?
- What do people know?
- How do we know what we know?



No comments:
Post a Comment