November 20, 2010

A reflection on three questions

I thought I would pose three questions for consideration.  I hope to also reflect on these questions myself, and the purpose of so doing is that you might reflect on your own past, present and future as you read along.

Asking the right questions is a very important art, that can unlock core desire, values and aspirations.  I believe these three questions have a great potential to do so (if one has the propensity to be introspective).


Question 1:  What was it like with money growing up for you?


Question 2:  If you had a calamitous emergency today, that wiped out your savings, what would you do?


Question 3:  If you had all the money you need today, what would you do?



As you think about these questions yourselves, I thought I would address these myself, and as you read along, hope it provokes your own memories.


Q1:  What was it like with money growing up for you?



My clearest memory of money and growing up is the following.  It is a Saturday morning.  I have been handed a yellow ration card in a plastic envelope.  I get on a bicycle with two bags.  One bag is to buy coal, and the other bag is to get rice.

I first go to a store run by the college where my Dad was a Professor (for some reason that I don't understand, why the college was running this store).  But I stood in line.  When my turn came, I showed them the ration card.  They checked it and gave me a bag of rice.

Then I rode my bicycle to the coal shop.  The reason we had to buy coal was there was a shortage of gas and gas cylinders.  So we had to use a kumpaty (a Telugu word), a charcoal based stove.  There was high quality coal and low quality coal.  I was required to buy half of each, since we could not afford to buy all high quality coal.

On a professor's salary in the 70s, there was no question of luxury of finances.  There was luxury of informed discussion and books.  But not luxury of finances.  When aunts and uncles and cousins visited us from big cities and abroad, we would be astonished by the gifts they gave us.  Fancy socks and shoes, calculators, jackets, chocolates and eclairs and so on.  My brother and I would imagine what riches existed in these far away places.

I remember wanting a moped once and at another time a violin.  No dice.  There were just no funds to get those.  It was an unrequited desire.

I would take long scooter rides with my Dad.  There were all kinds of conversations.  But one dictum that rang in my ears was, 'money does not buy happiness'

As a postscript, in 2010 in the US, if I had the same conversation with my Dad today, I imagine he would amend his sentence.  He might say, 'money does not buy happiness, but it can sure solve quite a few problems!'

Back to 70s.  What was money like?  I don't know, because we did not have it!  I could not get most of what I wanted or thought I wanted.  But I can't say I had an unhappy childhood.  Rather the opposite is true.  My best friends then are best friends today.  We have grown and matured and spread all over the world, and we continue one giant conversation.  Why the other day, I had lunch with my high school friend in Dallas, not more than two weeks ago.  We spent only a couple of hours together.  And I don't think it was any different from a lunch conversation we would have when we were in school together, opening our lunch boxes and eating on the school grounds below a tree.

The relatives who visited us bearing those gifts, we are in active contact with them.  Why, many of them have visited our house many times in recent years.  They may not come bearing gifts that would make my brother and I wonder about the fascinating places they lived in, but have a great conversation and fun all the same!

So what was money like growing up?  I don't know, because we did not have it.  And it did not seem to matter one way or the other.


Q2:  If you had a calamitous emergency today, that wiped out your savings, what would you do?


This is no joke.  If one did not have proper coverage, a medical emergency or disability could wipe you out.

We ran a panel discussion on health care at work.  There was an Olympic gold medalist swimmer on the panel.  She made quite a bit of money after she won her gold medal with advertising, etc.  Then her mother fell ill with Alzheimer's disease.  Much to her distress, neither did the government medicare program cover it, nor did the mom have medical coverage privately.  So this swimmer, had to pay out of her savings to take care of her mom.  For 10 years.  And her savings were wiped out.

She was saying, "I don't have the kind of stamina and talent and youth that I had, that allowed me to make money and save it.  Now it is all gone.  And I have another 40 years to live.  What am I to do?"

The other day, I was on a plane.  I suddenly realized that I had failed to send in the check for my life insurance coverage.  It was in my briefcase and I had just not put it in the mail.  I really kicked myself that day on the plane.  I said to myself, what a stupid risk I have taken.  I am on a plane, anything can happen.  I have exposed my family to no coverage, if something calamitous were to happen.  Just because I had not put the check in the mail.  Insurance companies can be terrible.  So if your paper work is not in order, pardon the French, but you are screwed!

I believe, when I look at my situation, I have been as thoughtful as I can about financial, medical and risk protection in case of a calamity.  But the only reason why I have done this, is because 3 friends of mine, of my age, passed away 3-4 years ago and I was very distressed when I met with their families.

So I ask you this question, in all seriousness - is your family prepared for a calamity?  The time to act is not when there is a calamity.  But now.

Taking the example of the Olympic medalist swimmer above, if she had purchased long term care insurance way back, her mother would have been taken care of and her savings would not have been wiped out.


Q3:  If you had all the money you need today, what would you do?


One is tempted to give a pat answer.  I would like to be doing exactly what I am doing today.  Pshaw!  The worst form of delusion is self-delusion.

So let me answer this question honestly.  What would I really do, if I had all the money I need today.

I am not being clever, but the question did not say, all the money you want.  It said, all the money you need.  There-in I think lies a huge difference.

Really understanding one's own situation, psychology, background allows one to separate need and want. 

Want - I want to get into a rocket and fly around the moon and come back like a Russian Billionaire.

Need - I need be free to focus on my interests like the outdoors and like writing (and smoking cigars.... well that is a want, not a need).  I need my family to be healthy and taken care of.  I need for our son to be well educated and established.

If I suddenly wake up one morning.  And I find that my house is gone, my car is gone.  It is a Saturday morning.   And my wife says to me, "SPK, here is the ration card (yellow, in a plastic envelope).  Please go to the store and get us some rice.  On the way back can you get a bag of coal, half good quality and half the inferior quality.  You are always forgetting - we need half/half!"

I would get on my bicycle and go the ration store.  I would stop by at the coal store and buy the coal - half/half.  I would ride the bicycle back home, wobbling with two bags.

I would be happy.  I bet you, that though my wife would kick me in the pants for losing the house and the car, she would be happy too, as I rode the bicycle with the two bags back home.

4 comments:

RVK said...

I would like to take a different look at the issue so that we will have different perspectives on the same issue. The main theme of this discussion as I think is 'Poverty' or lack of money and the misery that follows it. Of course none of can talk authoritatively on that subject as none of us have actually seen it.

Real poverty is not having a meal for a day, not having even a shelter to sleep on a cold night and not able to get even the basic medicine to eliviate pain. That kind of situation, we can only imagine and can not discuss it with any authority. It will be like George V. essay on poverty - His buttler is poor, his gardner is poor and even his driver is poor.

Having said that, we are perhaps discussing the relative levels of quality of living. First, I will discuss that and then I will touch upon other situations that can bring misery to people.

We can say with absolute certainity, that we have lived an excellent life compared to two thirds of the people on the whole planet. Any thing close to poverty was experienced by my grand father and to some extant my father in his younger days. That he had to sell his gold medal for a bag of rice for the family was poverty!. But like every parent, they worked hard and spent within their means to make the life of their children better than their own. We lived a much better life compared to them. Yes, we did not have cars. I had a motor cycle by the time I was twenty.

The place you live at a given time may not allow you to succeed and not live happily. Like African countries now. The religion may not let you live happily.

Political system can make you live a miserable life. Two nobel Lauriates had to face jail jut for their struggle for freedom of expression. Natural disasters can prevent you from enjoying life.

We must feel sympathy for those who are not as lucky as we are and show compassion towards them.

JH said...

I do have all the money I need, and I always have had. I think that this is the situation of almost everyone, and it is very important for people to recognize that it is true ... and the earlier in life the better. That simple realization frees one to take risks that would otherwise be impossible.

M.A. said...

Brings back some great memories. One thing for sure we had more fun with less when we were younger. We made do with what ever we had. Marbles (i don't see anyone playing this now) Tops !! What fun.

One often wonders if our children will ever know how different our world was when we are growing up as compared to them TV, Jeans, food, shoes.

I still remember getting my first pair of jeans when I was probably in my 8-9th standard. It was my most priced possession and was worn way past it had lived its useful life !!! By the way try and buy a transistor radio in Bangalore these days. Its really difficult to find !!!

Your question on "If you had all the money that you need" is rather a tricky one. It's difficult to separate want from need. This is also a very relative question and depends on where you are monetarily at this point in life. I have a take on this. If one can remove ego from ones life then one is able to isolate need from want. My theory is once you have done this then you know how much money you need - with the rest see as much of this beautiful world as possible before you meet your maker !!!

Another interesting or relevant question that one needs to ask at this stage in our lives is:

1) How will I be able to live once I have retired? Will I be dependent on my children ? or will I have the freedom to do whatever I chose without being dependent on anyone?

One tiny take that I have is that whatever we do should be something that brings us an income that will keep pace with inflation. The only thing that I can think of here is getting rental income. This however requires large capital investment.

Subba said...

Most of the middle class face similar monetary situation and in fact that financial position which you had mentioned, which makes those in that bracket very strong to achieve some thing and make their lives better.

But one should also be sensible in identifying needs and wants. One has to give priority to the needs first and can go in for wants once they have some extra money ie. savings. If one not able to do it he/ she will be in a financial mess.

And happiness is not how much money you have but how happy you are with what you have.

And the role played by the spouse also quite important. If one of the life partners is an spend thrift then, less said the better. One should not copy others life style and one should learn how to live within one's means.

In my opinion an employee has to plan for his retirement as soon as he/she joins a job. And if he is not able to plan properly and starts saving at the latter part of his/ her life they will be left with very little money for their retired life. Then leave alone wants,finding money for the need will be difficult. And they have to depend upon some one for monetary support.

Post a Comment