![]() |
| Achilles Triumphant |
A brief note on a word I stumbled upon this year. It is the word - 'Aristeia'. It is a Greek word that was used in the epics by Homer, particularly in the Illiad. It has some resonance and relevance, so I thought I would write about it briefly.
Aristeia describes a hero's (e.g. Achilles) finest moments in battle. But it goes through an arc including i) the preparation, ii) leadership, iii) inspiring the team, iv) initial win, v) setback, vi) inspiration, vii) re-engagement and viii) triumph.
As I think through history, both Eastern and Western, Ancient and Modern, there are multitudes of examples of Aristeia.
Lincoln and the Civil War. Churchill and the English Resistance. Arjuna in the Mahabharata. Let alone Achilles vs Hector. And interestingly it does not apply only to battle, as was used by Homer. Perhaps scientists who are trying to discover something have the same experience. I am thinking of Los Alamos for example.
Lincoln and the Civil War. Churchill and the English Resistance. Arjuna in the Mahabharata. Let alone Achilles vs Hector. And interestingly it does not apply only to battle, as was used by Homer. Perhaps scientists who are trying to discover something have the same experience. I am thinking of Los Alamos for example.
In my business related reading, I have not come across the word Aristeia. But when we think about innovation, fighting off business as usual bureaucracy, brand recognition, this word certainly describes not only business aspiration but human dynamics as well.
Also, were we to apply this word in a modern setting, more than individual triumph it should be about team success. More than battle and destruction, it should be about adding value. And more than taunting the loser, it should be about sharing the bounty of innovation. But nevertheless, the basic human desire and will to triumph against odds is alive and well!
Certainly the world is atwitter now about words such as 'refudiate.' I chuckle too. But there is no power there and soon people will move on to the next sensation (who remembers 'strategery' anymore?!)
But a word like Aristeia, no one has heard of. But it seems to me that while it is from 3,000 years ago, it is from a classic that has survived and thrived through the ages, and describes the pinnacle of human achievement. Perhaps that is a word to cherish?



1 comment:
As usual well analysed & presented.
Velayuthan.S
Post a Comment