When we were in middle school, our grandmother came to stay with us for an extended period of time. We would thus spend a lot of time with her accompanying her on walks and chatting with her in the evenings before going to bed.
One piece of advice she gave was that we say a short prayer or repeat the name of a God just before going to bed or just as we were waking up. She did not offer any more explanation as to why this was important, other than that it would be good for us.
Over the years, I have grown up to be what I can best describe as a skittish agnostic.
A Skittish Agnostic
I am generally agnostic because I have been reared by science. And I have the firm confidence, that if we discover a law here, it will apply there. When an apple falls to the ground, I don't pray to it. Rather, I can apply Newton's laws to it, and be confident it not only applies to that apple, but to entire planets in the solar system! That is the power of science. So whether it is evolution or physical laws, the power of science to explain means that we need no extraneous factors to explain how things work. And for those things that we do not know, we keep applying the experimental method till the secrets reveal themselves.
However, I am skittish as well. When I think of the well being of my near and dear, emotions are as important as reason. And there is nothing I want to do, that will provoke a scorekeeper with a karmic calculator to punch in a net-negative in my account.
Hence, I tend to be a skittish agnostic. The agnosticism feeds confidence that a law exists waiting to be discovered that shall be applied regardless and the skittishness drives the constant desire to seek the larger meaning of reality.
So whether or not I exactly follow my grandmother's prescription, I do feel that I invest the time in asking larger questions.
Steve Jobs
Which brings me to Steve Jobs.
The other day, while sleeping I happened to be disturbed by a slight glow on my wife's blanket. I ignored it for a while but kept being drawn by it. I thought some window was open and maybe the street light was streaming at an angle. But all the windows were shut.
I was really curious. Now awake, I looked more intently at my wife's blanket and discovered that the light was coming from inside the blanket! I move the blanket aside to see that she was using the Apple iPad.
In a little while she switched it off and went to bed.
Presently a 6 AM alarm went off. It was then that I noticed that both of us reached out to our respective iPhones to switch off our alarms. Did we shut off the phone?
No.
We both proceeded to check our emails. I promise you, neither one of us had important emails in the inbox, nor were we expecting any. But we checked anyway. In particular, my work blackberry is something I do not bring into my bedroom for fear of being stressed by work emails.
The iPhone is so integrated between calendar, the web and email and apps like the alarm and flashlight, that it is just a handy device to have.
So now, instead of following my grandmother's advice of saying a short prayer before going to bed and just before waking up, skittish agnostic that I am, have thrown in the towel to bow to gadget that has been created and rather than asking larger questions, am stuck with deleting junk email from vendors hawking everything from books to saucepans!
Invasion of the iProduct
On the train, in the cars, at work, pedestrians, kids in cars, sleepers under their blankets, teeny tots while eating - everywhere I see, in the curious matter of Steve Jobs vs my grandmother, electronic gadgets are dominating mindshare.
In this holiday season more iPads and more iPhones and more iTouches are going to be bought as gifts.
A wish
As a skittish agnostic, I would like to send best wishes from my grandmother that we take a deep breath, take a pause, take a step back away from the tweets and beeps and occasionally ask life's larger questions.



6 comments:
Unfortunately, I do not own a single "i" anything. I don't even own a laptop because I can't work with such small monitors. (I do have a BlackBerry for work emails.) Plus, I never cared for Jobs then and even less now; I prefer Bill Gates who is now devoting his time to improve the world. Never cared for tech gadgets, which is surprising since during my Ph. D. I probably used the maximum computer power in the world's universities. But I used computers only for number crunching and was never fascinated with them. And I also do not too much like these electronic umbilical cords; perhaps I like a slower world.
I must say, though, that I am somewhat addicted to YouTube and old Indian movie songs. Here is a seasonal anthology (of "Silent Night") that I just compiled for my old bank friends in India; enjoy these classics.
The Vienna Boys Choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JXATSbywc (in the original German, from 1967, very nice in all aspects)
A commemoration of the original German version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAbD_w3WUM
Elvis Presley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUZ_twxVwY&feature=related
The Three Tenors (Pavarotti, Domingo, Carreras): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGKNxuoPms
Andrea Bocelli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCZF3C868so&feature=related
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1xcLdW5cU&feature=related
Frank Sinatra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PzKN01qGcc
Bing Crosby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2Tnp9whDU (an all time classic single)
I don't believe I have heard such beautiful compositions from agnostics or atheists. Perhaps that answers your question. (An Indian version of this would be the "Bhaja Govindam" song extolled by Rajaji. I would also recommend reading Bernard Shaw's "Back to Methuselah", especially the prefacing essay.)
Read, a little guiltily, on my iPad.
As a skittish agnostic, you may want to read "The Miracle of Existence" by Henry Marganeau. Science strives to explain Nature, but I am afraid Nature may remain evasive even to the best of Scientific efforts. Whether there is a creator of Nature and what is his purpose and why we are here will be questions that don't stand the chance of a prayer to answer.
Jobs was a great marketeer and he certainly was a kid in grown up's body, which accounts for all his toys, which were designed by others for him. Xerox created the windows/Macintosh OS and did not know what to do with it. That paved the way for Jobs and Gates to promote it. MSFT bought the DOS (IBM was blind-sided into thinking that PCs were for kids and let MSFT write the code for their PCs and gave life to MSFT) and built up the company with additional purchases of other packages: EXCEL, WORD etc.
I have not read this particular work by Margenau - Miracle of Existence - although his mathematical physics book with Murphy is well-known.
It should not come as a surprise that physicists have their own views of reality, universe, etc. - that is, after all, their business, although they would hesitate to voice their views publicly. Particularly famous is Oppenheimer's fondness for oriental philosophies and how he burst into Bhagavad Gita when the first atom bomb exploded in New Mexico.
Another interesting parallelism that physicists have noted - the creation, annihilation, and preservation operators of quantum mechanics and the Hindu trinity.
Good work with your pen, er, keyboard, er touchpad...
A sentiment I heartily endorse (he said in an email).
BTW, I found your triangle graphic interesting. What’s it from?
Post a Comment