September 01, 2012

Poem: Ode to Winter


Guest Contributor:  Rahul

Oh, how those snowflakes dance
As they plummet towards the land

When you wake up there is no sound to be heard
And I watch snowflake after snowflake fall to the ground

I live for the special day
When snow dumps down in feet
And no way for the snow plows to come in time
Then I can finish my homework

There are days where snow doesn’t fall
And it doesn’t fall for days to come
A blessing to some, a wound to others
Those days, my soul is shredded
Then I sit in unwavering prayer (with a bag of chips)
A prayer for snow to come 

The fantasy lingers everlasting
Dreaming of worn down skis and broken down toboggans
Then I realize this to be a mere dream
As my season of joy is months and months away

And so continues my mortal pain
For my heart will always be with the winter
And I’m too lazy to move to Alaska


14 comments:

subba said...

Natural flow of thoughts.... and realities

Srinivas Garimella said...

He truly is a gifted poet. I very much like the sly Rahul twists in the poetry, e.g., the "finish my HW" "bag of chips" "too lazy to move to Alaska" etc.

Meena Mansharamani said...

That is excellent! I am so proud if him!

Raman Kolluri said...

I think that he is going to be a real poet !Great !

Kris K said...

i am blown away by this! what a mature writing style.

Sanjeev Gupta said...

very interesting.
enjoyed reading it.

Rakesh Puri said...

wow ! real;y nice kind of youtube and wordsworth together

Raef Lee said...

Clearly the acorn didn’t fall far from the oak tree.

Unknown said...

Coming from a Silver Medalist in the Go for Gold, Rahul's poetry is smooth like a falling flake and making a great stament. I am sure he will reach great heights in poetry and make a name for himself. All the Best Rahul.!!

ssr said...

I enjoyed every line of it. how HW weighed with him even in a dream is true reflection of the state of mind of a student.
Wish Rahul's collection to come early. My best wishes to him.

Uday said...

bravo!

Tim Burke said...

There is a symmetry in how large the small seems when young and old….

Dr. P. Radhakrishnan said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

I loved this poem! It is my favourite from all his poems so far: beautiful, witty, at times poignant...bravo, Rahul. I look forward to his literary output in the years to come!

Post a Comment