December 15, 2012

I was touched by Pandit Ravi Shankar ... twice

The Godfather of World Music passed the stage this week at the age of 92.  It has been quite amazing to see the encomiums and reflections taking place everywhere on what Ravi Shankar means to World Music.

His student, Kartik Sheshadri eloquently described how the great musician remained authentic to his own musical tradition, but was able to reach out learn and influence music from far flung corners of the world.  Kartik went on to say, that the memory of Ravi Shankar's contributions stays stuck in the 60s in the West, whereas in India Ravi Shankar's reputation ascended into the pantheon, as being from the main traditions of Indian Classical music.

I do not qualify as even a fan of music, my knowledge being non-existent in this field.  I have been known to tap the occasional foot, but that is where it stops.  But Ravi Shankar touched even me, twice.

SPIC MACAY

The first was in the 80s, and as befitting any youngster, I was all about Rock & Roll, Pop and music from the films and stage.  Ravi Shankar came to our school to promote SPIC MACAY (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth).

I can't recollect, if I had even heard about him even at that point.  I might have - perhaps as a name.  But did not know the music for sure.

I remember it being a pleasant evening, and there he was on our newly built school stage in the grounds of the campus.

Unfortunately, the specific memory of that evening that stays with me is one of mosquitoes.  They were torturing the poor Sitarist on stage.  So much so that on occasion his smooth tempo would strain an awkward note, when one of those ravenous rascals sunk their long 'proboscis' into his arm or leg.



Nevertheless, I found the music was transformative and opened my mind to a completely different tradition of classical music than the southern Carnatic traditions I was exposed to.  

My favorite album (shudder the pursits..) is the one he did with Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra

The journey I started on those grounds continues thirty years hence.    (I was not to hear the first strain of western classical music for another 5+ years).


CHANTS

Ravi Shankar touched me again, twenty years later.  I was always superficially interested in the Upanishads, the great dialogues from two to three thousand years ago.  Dialogues between teacher and student, husband and wife, father and son, king and subject about the nature of reality.

But any number of readings did not improve my appreciation until I chanced upon a disc produced by Ravi Shankar titled, "Chants'

Interestingly, his motivation to produce the album was the same, as the motivation for his tour earlier with SPIC MACAY.  To introduce these texts and philosophies to youth (admittedly, I no longer was one by this time!)

His insight was that when these texts were produced eons ago, these were spoken and not written - much like the Homeric tradition.

Thus, the authenticity of the experience was through sound, more than through sight.  And delivered by this master musician - sparked an appreciation and thirst to dive into these philosophies - through sound.

That journey now is ten years old.

**

I have no doubt, that Ravi Shankar has influenced millions over the decades.  And millions will enjoy his music and his influence for decades to come.

I am delighted to share, that he touched me too - twice.




Note:  My earlier write-up on Western Classical Music.

http://agingonthevine.blogspot.com/2007/02/notes-on-noteworthy-notes.html





6 comments:

Skip Shuda said...

Thank you for this remembrance, Surya. Your note made me ache for a modern-day Upanishads... it seems time to rekindle these ancient conversations.

Susee said...

Nice dedication to the Pandit! Chants is one of my most favorite collections too. Perhaps you already know about this - George Harrison of the Beatles, was the producer of the album. The influence that Pandit Ravi Shankar has made with his music is too vast to be contained within a region or generation.

Prabhakar said...

Good write up. I also vividly remember attending Pandit Ravi Shankar's
SPIC/MACAY concert. I have to admit that was the occasion that got me into
liking classical music. We students lucked out because they put the VIP seats
far back (near the student union) and all students got to sit up right in the
front. I am sure that a few thousand rupees ticket would not have bought a
better seat. It was like almost going into a temple when everyone(at least
students) had to remove our footwear before getting closer to stage and you
could not move from your seat when the music was being played.

If I remember corerct Zakir Husain accompanied the Pandit. I also remember our
Civil Professor (tall one with specs) who provided the sruthi. Fortunately or
unfortunately most of the college was closed due to some kind a study holidays
or something like that.

Venkat said...

Unfortunately, some of us missed that SPICMACAY concert. A rare opportunity.

Tim Burke said...

I’m afraid I’m one of those who only know of Ravi Shankar from my dalliance with Hinduism and Indian music in the ‘70s. I vaguely remember seeing a documentary on him in which he explained the complexities of the music. Too complex for me to fully appreciate at the time and too complex for me to consider studying it rigorously. Unfortunately.

But I do remember feeling that he was not only a truly great world-class musician but a world-class soul too.

Swarna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment