December 29, 2012

Just a few clicks from 50


I realize at least some of us males of  my graduating class, as it were, are just a few clicks from age 50.  Just FYI, I tend to not want to put the words female and age in the same sentence due to the occasional need to exhibit good manners.

Anyway, in anticipation (or lack thereof) of the aforementioned age marker, I have noticed some forewarnings . . . here is the first of them. Will record more in the coming days, should I remember them.

I wanted to gather momentum into the new year by going to the gym during the holidays between Christmas and New Year. So far so good. I found a nice little gym at the ski resort we are staying. The first day I showed up, I was embarrassed to find that my gym bag had running shoes but did not have gym shorts.

"Man", I said to myself, "I need to buy high priced shorts at the gym store now." Luckily the gym attendant had a spare pair of shorts.

I proceeded to the locker room to change. I had enough foresight to take a combo lock to put my valuables away in the locker.

After I put my bag in the locker, I double tested that I would remember the combo-lock number and put it on the locker door.

As I was about to walk out of the locker room, I decided to double check the lock. To my dismay, realized that I put the lock not on my locker with my bag, but the next locker with somebody else's bag!

I shuddered at the thought of some trusting soul being totally frustrated by some idiot who locked his locker instead; and staring at his inaccessible locker in puzzlement and frustration.

Being relieved that I was able to spot my mistake, I removed the lock (I remembered the combo!) and double checked that I had the right locker and locked it.

I walked into the gym and found it full of very athletic women and not a single male. I was going to do some gentle treadmill stuff for a few minutes. But now, I had no choice but pull my stomach in and hit the elliptical harder than I wanted to.

When I was all done, I took a shower and cleaned up. I realized that I had not taken a hair comb with me. I hid my unruly hair under a winter cap and as I strode out of the gym with false confidence.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I resolved to create a 'checklist' of things to bring to the gym the next time.

8 comments:

subba said...

Watch out ........ old age is catching up. ha ha ha

Tim Burke said...

My friend, you don’t know the half of it…

…the good thing is, that you won’t remember when you do.

Prabhakar said...

Funny - we all have our moments ...

A couple of years ago, I was peeling a potato standing near the garbage bag.
Upon completion I simply tossed the peeled potato into the garbage :-{

S Babu said...

That is really funny
Well my friend says it will get worse as I Age

Dutt said...

Beginning to fall apart is merely mental. If you think that you can handle the aging without paying attention to it, you will do just as well as most of us did and even better.

Just for fun, try deriving from first principles - the area of a circle, the volume of a sphere, the surface area of a sphere - that will keep you busy and hopefully mentally challenged and keep you youthful and from falling apart.

Poorna said...

That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing...

Ruthann Rowan said...

Love it, once again- you always captivate me with your stories.  Never boring, and I always read through them thoroughly.  What I find most important is with each of your stories there is a visual!

Kathy Petersohn said...

You can’t make this stuff up……oh my.  As I was reading, I was imagining all sorts of worse endings, so I’m glad it was just a ‘lesson learned!’  :-)

Post a Comment