July 23, 2013

Harsha Bhogle - On Excellence



Contributed by Prashant K.


I came across this speech by Harsha Bhogle, the noted Cricket broadcaster.  He gave this speech at the Indian Institute of Management - Ahmedabad in 2005.   A bit long, but I think it is very entertaining and one of the best I have come across on the topic.

Harsha Bhogle


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJhHsUfZFo


Notes from the Harsha Bhogle:

  1. Process matters, not results.
  2. Focus on excellence in process, excellence in preparation and it will take the anxiety out of performance and results.
  3. Give 100% all the time. You never know when, what action matters.
  4. Giving it your best all the time ensures: a. Your conscience is clear. b. You sleep well. c. You don't grudge the success of others. d. You try harder next time to be better.
  5. Arrogance is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to the pursuit of excellence.
  6. I achieved success early on in my career because I was willing; "willing to do what it takes".
  7. I did well because I chose to be a "non-striker". You don't have to be the "doer" of the action. "Facilitator" is fine.
  8. In the world of excellence, if you have ego and anger, you don't need opponents.
  9. Subjugate the 'self' to achieve excellence.
  10. Attitude is key. Far more important than talent in the pursuit of excellence.
  11. Failing and bouncing back is far more valuable than not failing at all.
  12. Mistakes can be an asset. The more you make them, the more you know what not do do. And when you know what not to do, the path to success is ahead.
  13. Excellence means knowing everything that needs to be known about a profession.
  14. What is luck - Preparation + Recognition.
  15. Preparation - slogging you back off when no one is watching.
  16. Recognition - seeing the opportunity before it comes. When you see it, you prepare for it.
  17. Excellence means raising the game when the moment comes. That only happens through preparation.
  18. Excellence also means having the confidence to share knowledge.
  19. People who are excellent are always willing to stretch a little bit.
  20. Are you afraid of failure? If you are not afraid, then you are going to try.
  21. Excellence lives in the present. Not in past failures / successes or future hopes / anxieties. Do the right thing now.



3 comments:

Surya Kolluri said...

Very well done. A few observations.

- He references the Pak. group Junoon at the end and their song 'Sayonee' which happens to be one of my favorite songs!

- Since this is a 2005 speech, the Aussies were ruling supreme under Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Glen McGrath & Co. So a nice contrast to the Ashes happening right now (and their performance against India recently as well)

- Vinod Kambli example was very interesting!

- I know a few IIM-As: I have to say it produces an outstanding crop of managerial talent - quite a few CEOs of global companies - and many many Head of India Ops for multinationals

- The skill, luck, talent, attitude theme was quite good.

Thanks for sharing!

ssr said...

Do you know Prof Madhavan of the Maths Dept, PSG Tech joined IIMA? He hosted me for a lunch at Woodlands, Ahmedabad.
I think he later moved to Anand.
I spent a day at IITA and met quite a few students.
ssr

Venkat said...

We all love Harsha on TV. Look forward to seeing the video later in the week, but the summary in itself is exceptional. Very very good! Thanks for this.

Post a Comment