July 27, 2013

Photo Essay: OPA!

Our trip to Greece was a perfect complement to our previous week in Istanbul.  Not accidentally, these two cultures have a long history together.  Including that of the Greeks winning their independence from the Ottomans.

History reached deep back in Istanbul.  History reaches even deeper back in Greece.

Hope you enjoy these pictures!

Cradle of Western Civilization
The Parthenon is as inspiring for me as the Lincoln Memorial.  From politics, culture, the arts, Athens leads the way.  Their most far sighted leader Pericles, had the Parthenon (re-)built to reflect the ideals and glory of Athenian Democracy.












The Islands
Everyone of my friends who who knew of our trip, advised me to leave Athens and go to the Islands to really appreciate Greek life.  And so we did.  We went through the Island of Poros to the Island of Hydra.  (You are right - thank you!)












Odeon of Herodes Atticus 
This is a beautiful amphitheatre used for musicals.  They are playing Madame Butterfly during our stay here.  You can see the orchestra arrangements at the bottom in front of the stage.




Plato
The archealogical museum is a real treasure!  They had very ancient remnants from as far back as 2000 BC or even older.  For me the exciting discoveries were the sculptures of Plato, Aristotle, Athena, Aphrodite, Posiedon and Augustus (some real, some mythical of course).  I looked and asked around for Socrates without success.




Seascapes and Tilework
A lot of interesting paintings abound - many being seascapes of course







Notes:

1.  OPA!

Greek-American columnist George Pattakos desribes Opa! - presenting it as a lifestyle lesson and possibly even a new entry into the annals of Greek philosophy. He describes what "Opa!" means to him as manifesting your inner Greekness - which he says you can have without being actually Greek. The word Opa has undergone the same type of transformation as that of the name "Zorba". Nikos Kazantzakis' character and the movie that was made from his book have become synonymous with a love of life and the triumph of the human spirit. To hear the word "Zorba" we just think of the expression of joy - just as Opa! has come to mean something similarly bright and positive.

2.  Pericles Funeral Oration Speech

I compared the impact of the Lincoln Memorial and the Parthenon on me in the picture above.  Well, there is a similar impact that the Gettysburgh address has and Perciles 'Funeral Oration Speech', where he lays out the principles of Athenian Democracy.  A must read!

Speech:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/pericles-funeralspeech.asp

Analysis:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/classics/thucydides/ttt/context/









































17 comments:

Tim Burke said...

Once again, great pics.

BTW, who was that Indian Jones-type guy in the third photo?

RVK said...

Very nice. Glad that you had a good time

Srikrishnan said...

great pictures. Interestingly, 'Opa" means grandfather in German ( Oma for Grandmother)

Kanchana said...

Gorgeous Greece Pix's,..!!

Srini said...

You are a master photographer. I could see that the pictures have been taken which much thought and taste.

Venkat said...

Nice pictures!
But special thanks for the link on Pericles speech. Brilliant, brilliant!
How intellectual, compassionate in measure, inspirational, reassuring and enterprising all at once!
The opening paragraph about the attitude of the speakers and audience is a rare gem. Thanks again.

Bill Hunter said...

Cool stuff … that second picture can be a postcard or poster. Your pic remind me that I should make plans to travel to different parts of the world before I get too old. My trips are usually to Disney or other pedestrian places. At least for now I can live vicariously through you.

Jen Charlton said...

Can’t wait to hear how the trip was! I’m sure both places were fascinating!

Dan Csontos said...

Very nice. Sounds like a great trip.

Kathy Petersohn said...

What? No salmon fishing in the Yemen? Gorgeous pix…thanks for allowing me to ‘imagine…’ J

Theresa Auletti said...

I can only imagine - both are on my "bucket" list!!

Ellen Balseiro said...

GORGEOUS! Welcome back!!

Ruthann Rowan said...

Wow- what beautiful pictures! I am sure you are enjoying every minute of your vacation

MLA said...

Great Pictures SPK. I liked the 3rd snap with you in in it Nice toppi.

Bonnie Benhayon said...

Wow I just opened the photos. I am very jealous of your trip and can’t wait to hear all about it.

Nick Manetto said...

Wow..beautiful! I’ve never been to either but hope to get there one day. Hope you had a restful vacation!

Bonnie Benhayon said...

Wow I just opened the photos. I am very jealous of your trip and can’t wait to hear all about it.

Post a Comment