February 22, 2014

President Bush and the good 1%

Around the 2011 timeframe, the Occupy Wall Street movement coined the term 1% to talk about the ultra wealthy - with highly negative connotations.  In contrast this week, former President Bush talked about a different 1% - with highly positive connotations.

After a couple of wars and a near-cataclysmic recession, there is justified fatigue in digging our way out to recovery.  It is with that mindset, that I accepted a surprise invitation for an event at the newly commissioned former President Bush's eponymous Institute at the Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

Our recent work in Social Impact Investing was the rationale for the invitation, I suppose.  With our visit to President Obama's second inaugural last year still fresh in my mind, I thought it might not be a bad idea to listen to what his predecessor had to say; especially given his recent self-imposed low-profile.

The first thing that struck me as I made my way to the center was, that a single blue skyscraper that loomed over the institute.  I did a double-take when I saw the corporate logo on the building - my business division's name was emblazoned for all to see.  "Looks like we are giving you company Mr. President," I remarked to myself as I entered the Institute.

At the very entrance was an inscription on the wall.  I have been to the various monuments in DC including the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.  I have also been to the FDR museum in New York state and the JFK museum in Boston.  They all have excellent inscriptions (There is nothing to fear but fear itself, comes to mind).  I found the inscription on this wall at the Bush Institute, quite striking, and if I may, as representing a vision for 21st Century leadership.  The Inscription is here below:


"We believe in open societies ordered by moral conviction, we believe in private markets humanized by compassionate government, we believe in economies that reward effort, communities that protect the weak, and the duty of nations to protect the dignity and rights of all" - President George W. Bush

I was curious what the President's message was going to be.  It was surprising and effective.  He made the point that 1% of the population serves in the military and bears the burden of service.  The country invests a tremendous amount in turning them from civilians into effective soldiers.  But not much when it comes to making their transitions effective when they end their service and attempt to return to civilian life.

With officials from the current White House at hand, including the Second Lady Jill Biden, he issued a call to the public, private and non-governmental sectors to join hands in focusing on the 2 million-plus veterans who will be returning to civilian life over the next couple of years and create a support network to both express appreciation and ease this transition.

Here is a news story on the event:  http://www.kcci.com/politics/george-w-bush-calls-out-the-99/24564450


I was most touched when a solider's young widow spoke about their lives become eerily secluded, after their spouses are killed in action.

I have written about seeing President Clinton on stage before and being impressed.  I have also written about attending President Obama's second inaugural.  This is the third President that I have had a chance to listen to in person and see up close.  I saw President Clinton before he was elected and while he was campaigning.  I saw President Obama while in office.  And of course, now President Bush after he has left office.

Regardless of political preferences, what I find is that these leaders, whether they are in or out of office, carry a command and prestige that is remarkable.

I do hope that this call is heard, becomes a clarion one and presages as effective an economic growth story as the one effected by the GI Bill and delivered by the greatest generation after WWII.



Previous post on President Obama:
http://agingonthevine.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-obama-inauguration.html

Previous post on President Clinton
http://agingonthevine.blogspot.com/2013/06/personal-impressions-of-clinton.html

No comments:

Post a Comment