May 02, 2014

Twentieth Century India: A Dialogue

An imaginary dialogue (utilizing their actual quotes) between eminent Indians, as they look past the 20th century into the future

Key:
[Q] A direct quote.  [P] Paraphrasing a quote

Cast of Characters:
- Rani of Jhansi
- Swami Vivekananda
- Mahatma Gandhi
- President Kalam
- Sachin Tendulkar and
- Nandan Nilekani


I. A strange meeting

President Kalam, Sachin Tendulkar and Nandan Nilekani entered the lobby of the Taj Mahal hotel in Mumbai.  Instead of mobbing them, Mumbaikers kept a respectful distance from them, being aware of them, but yet went about their Mumbaiker business.

President Kalam: They have done a nice job with the restoration of this hotel after the attack

Sachin Tendulkar: We are proud of the response of both the company and the city

They made their way to the second floor, and Nandan Nilekani, in a seasoned and smooth corporate executive move, smoothly and courteously allowed them into the elevator first.

As they made their way to their well appointed conference room with a view of the Arabian Sea, they paused.  In the room they noticed Rani of Jhansi, Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi.  The three were deep in conversation.

President Kalam (in surprise): Mr. CEO, are you working some Infosys magic here - are those holographic images?

CEO Nalikeni: I assure you Mr. President.  I am as surprised as you are!

Sachin Tendulkar (calmly under his breath): This might be an away game...

As they paused to take in the scene, Mahatma Gandhi looked up from the discussion and noticed the three visitors by the door.

Mahatma Gandhi:  aah .... aaah, President Kalam, my young friends, you have arrived, come, come.  Join us ....

Mahatma Gandhi in a white dhoti and white half Kurta, stood up and with open arms welcomed them to join.  As the three strode in, Swami Vivekananda and Rani of Jhansi also stood up.  Swamiji in his regal orange attire and the Rani in a blazing golden Sari.

Swamiji walked toward Tendulkar and the Rani towards CEO Nalikeni.

Swami Vivekananda (to Tendulkar): So my young friend, you seemed to have stopped not till the goal is reached!' [P]

Tendulkar's instincts were to feel awe, as if he had come face to face with Don Bradman.  Instead he was overcome by feelings of having met a dear brother after a long time - only the feeling was even stronger.  So instead of awe, he felt joy.  He said something in a low voice.  And Swamiji could be seen asking him a question with words 'cover drive' in the air as he gesticulated a batting motion. Tendulkar could be seen replying.

Meanwhile the Rani of Jhansi approached Nandan Nilekani and both folded their arms pressing palms in greeting.  The Rani asked the CEO how his family was.  Without being nonplussed by the absurdity of the situation, he replied in a manner befitting a semi formal tone required in addressing royalty.

The Mahatma and President Kalam also entered into a conversation.

Mahatma Gandhi: Mr. President, your term in office was a symbol of inclusiveness and achievement of India that is heart warming

President Kalam: Bapuji, you have always emphasized the importance of work.  The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.[Q]

Gandhiji nodded approvingly.

Mahatma Gandhi (turning to the group): My friends - I am glad we are gathered here.  Although what I am doing in this august company, I do not know.  But looking around I see a young Jamshedji like person in our group. Do you have any instructions for us?'

II. The preamble

CEO Nalikeni (thus being volunteered):  Pranam Bapuji.  I am still trying to figure out what we are all doing here

Swami Vivekanda: We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.  [Q]

CEO Nalikeni (taking quiet confidence): It seems like we are gathered here for a purpose.  I certainly did not call this meeting.  Therefore I cannot lay down an objective.  If you would all agree, I suggest we spend a little time with a preliminary discussion.  Hopefully a goal will present itself.  Also, given who is assembled here, let us not worry about putting away our PDAs.  Who knows, it may come in handy. Are we in agreement?'

President Kalam: 'I agree.  But Mr. CEO, we may have to explain to our friends what a PDA is...'

Rani of Jhansi, Swamiji and Gandhiji agreed and nodded inquiringly, wondering about this 'PDA'

So they quickly paired up for a few minutes and Tendulkar, the President and the CEO quickly demonstrated their respective iPhones and Androids to them.

Swami Vivekananda (sonorously): All the information in the palm of your hand. And now to convert it into knowledge.

Rani of Jhansi (admiringly):  Here is a talwar to defeat the shatru with!

III. What do you see?

CEO Nalikeni: In as much as the real value in this conversation would be listening to  Raniji, Swamiji and Gandhiji, might it be useful for Sachin Tendulkar and the President to quickly state what they see in India today?

Mahatma Gandhi (nodding approvingly):  Yes, I would like to hear from you all.

Tendulkar (hesitating): I am but a sportsman, that too if a particular game. I am not sure that I should be making this observation.

Rani of Jhansi: If I am not mistaken, you are the only one of two among us with a Bharat Ratna.  We do want to hear from you!

President Kalam: The Bharat Ratna stores it's value because of you Raniji,  Swamiji and Bapuji.

President Kalam (continuing): Please allow me to go first. What I see, which is a positive sign, that young Indian minds are aflame.  They are pursuing success vigorously.  I do wish they would be more dedicated to making solid achievements than in running after swift but synthetic happiness [P].

He paused.

Tendulkar (speaking softly): As far as sports is concerned and Cricket in particular, we are in an unparalleled era.  Although I do believe every era has its significance [P]

CEO Nalikeni: we have unleashed enormous economic growth potential in India to combine with the young minds aflame and confidence of the youth

Swami Vivekanda: The loss of fear is indeed what I have always wanted to see.  It is important to not be afraid of anything. You will do Marvelous work. it is Fearlessness that brings Heaven even in a moment. [Q]

Gandhiji asked: This economic growth, the unleashing you mention, is it helping everybody?

The CEO hesitated.

The Rani also asked: How are the poor and the weak being treated?

President Kalam:   The hope is that a rising tide lifts all boats as President Kennedy has said.

Swami Vivekanda:  Who would that be?

President Kalam:  An American who sent the first human to the moon and brought him back safely.

Swami Vivekanda:  Admirable indeed!  We are the makers of our own fate. The wind is blowing; those vessels whose sails are unfurled catch it, and go forward on their way ...... We make our own destiny [P]

Mahatma Gandhi (pressing the question):  this rising tide, is it lifting ALL Indian boats?  India lives in its villages [Q]. Should we worry that only the urban life is seeing benefits?

CEO Nalikeni:  Bapuji, the new technologies are transforming village life in unimaginably positive ways.

Sachin Tendulkar:  Thanks to these technologies like Television and the internet, we are gathering talent to my game from every corner of the country

Rani of Jhansi:  And with this technology, the powerful are sharing their power and wealth with the poor?  We need to attack poverty like we attacked the British.

President Kalam:  I am afraid your questions are pointing to a growing gulf.  There is a rising tide.  But the rich are getting richer.

CEO Nalikeni:  Thomas Piketty the French economist is confirming this growing inequity not just in India, but globally.

Swami Vivekanda:  The real riches are that of the spirit.  It is already inside you.  If we reach for it, that is the ultimate goal.  Economic development is good, but spiritual development is essential!

CEO Nalikeni:  Thank you Swamiji.  Should we turn our conversation to what we should be doing?

IV. A way forward

Rani of Jhansi:  We need to signal to our subjects, through rituals and cultural symbols that all our rulers care about every Indian rich our poor.

There was a beeping noise

CEO Nalikeni:  Bapuji, there is a text message for you from Panditji.

Mahatma Gandhi:  Aaah Panditji.  It is a delight to get a message from him.  But pray, what is the meaning of a 'text message?'

CEO Nalikeni:  It is on the PDA we showed you earlier.  Anyone can send you a message and it reaches this PDA immediately.  In any case,  Panditji wants me to coney that the Temples of India he helped build are a key to the way forward.

Swami Vivekanda (with curiosity):  New temples?

President Kalam:  Panditji was India's first prime minister and he helped build many projects such as dams and power stations that delivered water and electricity to millions.

Gandhiji leans over to Swamiji and Raniji to explain.

Sachin Tendulkar:  We seem to have lost our way in not continuing to build these temples that allow more and more Indians to afford basic necessities like travel, health and education.

CEO Nalikeni:  However a big part of India's problem is that growth has exceeded everybody's wildest expectations [P].  And the infrastructure as Sachin points out has not kept up with it.

Mahatma Gandhi:  We must make sure that the villagers are taught the right skills for this new age.  I worry that the new India will leave them further behind.

Rani of Jhansi:  And the children must be protected and nurtured at all costs.  We must sacrifice for them.

Swami Vivekanda: The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful [Q].  May every Indian be this way.

President Kalam (after a pause):  it seems like we have arrived at a point in time that we might have to leave our guests.

Tendulkar and CEO Nalikeni took the cue and paused.  Swamiji stood up radiantly.  Raniji also stood up palms pressed in greetings.  Gandhiji walked up to each and gave them an embrace.

Mahatma Gandhi:  come and see us from time to time

V. Departure

There was silence till the President, Tendulkar and the CEO reached the elevator.  Once in the elevator

CEO Nalikeni:  What in the world was that?!

Sachin Tendulkar:  My God! How do we handle this next?

President Kalam:  You mean, you are asking what we tell people about this encounter?

CEO Nalikeni:  Who is going to believe us.  Besides Sachin and I are in parliament!

Sachin Tendulkar:  .... and I am just learning the ropes of being an MP.

President Kalam:  In that case, let me ask you both - is there anything you heard that did not sound true and authentic.

CEO Nalikeni:  It was a fantastic experience!  Lot to think about and act on.

Sachin Tendulkar:  I am touched to the core.

President Kalam (contemplatively):  Perhaps it is is not for us to talk.

CEO Nalikeni:  Meaning?

President Kalam:  Perhaps it is for us to act.

Sachin Tendulkar:  I just want to continue the way I am going [Q]

CEO Nalikeni: We will redouble our efforts now [Q]

President Kalam:  Good.  I think that is the idea.  We should not give up and allow problems to defeat us [Q]

CEO Nalikeni:  I wonder if we went back they would be there?!

Sachin Tendulkar:  I think that there is an easy test for that.

CEO Nalikeni:  What is that?

President Kalam (jumping in):  Do you still have the text from ' Panditji'

CEO Nalikeni (checking his PDA):  Wow..... Yes it is still there!

President Kalam:  Do want to reply?

It was a long pause while the CEO looked at the President and the Master Blaster.

CEO Nalikeni (finally):  I suppose not.

All three nodded in agreement.

When they got to the lobby of the Taj Mahal hotel, it was a beehive of activity.  The Mumbaikers continued to leave them alone.

It was getting to be the end of the day.  Tourists were streaming back into the hotel after a day in the city.  Patrons were beginning to gather in the lobby and the bars.

Making their way through the gathering crowd, and stepping out of the Taj, the three bade goodbye to each other and found their respective cars that were waiting for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment