I. Uber Connection
During my trip from Washington DC to New York City, an Uber Taxi driver saw from afar my us air shuttle landing at LaGuardia airport. He decided to drive into the airport to see if he can get a passenger from that flight. I used the uber app on my iphone to order a car.
And he got the order!
II. Lost!
I'm paranoid that as I step into a Taxi, that the phone I'm holding in my hand will be forgotten on the seat, as I fumble around to my wallet to pay the fare.
My worst fears came true and this did happen as one day I was getting of the cab to the Airport. I turned back from the revolving door and raced back to the cab just in time.
Holy mackerel - am sweating just thinking about this!
III. That is a stretch!
I called a car service to pick me up at Charlotte airport. The guy who took my call said that I should look for a white limo.
My heart stopped when a huge, loooong white stretch limo showed up! How embarrassing! Turns out my white limo was a more modest affair behind the stretch limo!
Whew ...
IV. Crazy Cabbie
My colleague was getting off a taxi at Boston airport to fly to NYC. Suddenly the cabbie refused to open door and insisted he could drive her to NYC. She threatened to call the cops and he backed off! Crazy cabbie...
V. A vision issue
When I asked cabbie why he had difficulty finding me at 530 am, he replied, 'I can't see well'
I wonder if he should think of a more comforting answer!
VI. Cowabanga!
I was once in a taxi driving by Central Park in New York City and the Plaza hotel. My reverie was broken by the cabbie who informed me that the international call he just had was from his brother who just bought a cow. I congratulated him.
I love cab rides...
VII. Where are you going?
I was very tired getting off a late flight in Boston and eager to go home. I told the driver the address and dozed off. When I woke up he was headed in the wrong direction for nearly 20 miles. When I asked him to turn back, he was indignant I would correct him.
VIII. Get out!
When Rahul was young, we were taking a cab ride in New York city and he was in the middle seat in the back. When he accidentally kicked on the A/C switch in the back, the cabbie cursed him. When I asked the cabbie not to do so because this was just a child, he got so mad that he started shaking and cursing.
We asked him to stop the cab and just got off!
IX. Shh...!
Usually, when I get home and the cabbie drops me off, I tell them the best way to get back into Boston. They usually appreciate it and say thank you and drive off. A pleasant finish to a typically long week of business travel.
One day, I had a female driver, who was driving rather rashly. I kept my counsel and hoped for the best.
As was habit, as I was tipping her, I told her how she could best get back to downtown Boston.
She glared at me in anger and said harshly, 'you don't tell me what to do' and slammed on the accelerator and sped away!
X. Boxing Champ
This is a longer version of my most remarkable taxi ride in Charlotte.
http://agingonthevine.blogspot.com/2009/10/taxi-drive.html



6 comments:
Haven’t done the Uber thing. But I hear it’s great.
But I have done the ‘left my phone in the cab’ thing. Fortunately I kept my wits about me enough to quickly call my cell number when I got to my land line in my apartment – and fortunately the cabbie answered and agreed to meet me at my place as he was still just a few blocks away. I told him I’d make it worth his while. I was so happy to see him and my phone that I didn’t at all mind paying him $50 for his effort. He then told me that cabbies make a lot of extra money this way.
It was also the moment I made it a strict policy to never, ever, ever put my phone down on the seat of a cab. I either put it in my lap or on top of my briefcase or whatever if I need to put it down and yet not put it in my pocket. Never left another one behind.
Your stories reminded me of my generally fond memories of riding in taxis in NYC. But they also reminded me that of some others that weren’t so pleasant. We do tend to put a gloss on our memories.
But I never had one as interesting as you Charlotte cabbie nor as negative as some of your crazier cabbies. I generally get the guy talking internationally in some language or other, and so not aware of what the conversation is about …. !
;-)
Thx Tim - funny!
Uber is going to much more than a taxi/Limo , I think ...
In any case amazingly amazing service - cant praise it enough ...
Thank you. I needed to hear that last one in particular.
These are very good ! And very funny
For every cab ride, there is a story... some just better than others. Like those you describe.
Hilarious!
Post a Comment