The picture below is 'My Blog Zone' - I hope you like this explanation of what I blog about.
The picture has two axes - the horizontal axis, the X-Axis is general categories of understanding and expertise relevant to all.
And along the vertical, the Y-Axis is specific categories that personally apply to me.
1. The X-Axis: The labels ranging from ignorance to sublime are general categories that apply to all. i.e. we are ignorant about some issues, appreciate other issues, are proficient in yet others and in a few lucky cases, sublimely talented - e.g. Michael Jordan, Einstein, Clinton in politicking - you get the picture.
2. The Y-Axis: The categories on the left are specific to me. The first and last were meant to be funny. My phone bill (and reports from my friends and family are the same) is ridiculous - so ridiculous that I am ignorant of either how much I pay or why I pay as much as I do. That was meant to funnily capture the zeitgeist about ever increasing phone bills.
Similarly, the last one regarding Power Point presentations was also meant to be tongue in cheek. Meaning, if I were sublimely talented in anything, it is not science, or the arts or business - but in creating power point presentations (that is meant to be funny!)
3. Now that we have merged the general labels with my specific personal attributes, I am ready to explain what I blog about.
a. I do not blog about work(right hand side of the spectrum) - rather that is already in the public domain - such as my recent Wharton Radio interview, my appearance at the Aspen Panel discussion, or the recent White House convening. Besides, that material is 'work-work' and meant for a specific and interested audience
b. I would not blog private matters, including topics such as politics and religion. Again, the inclusion of the phone bill was meant to be funny and tap into the zeitgeist.
c. This leaves me with my blog zone - the topics I blog about - and they include the arts, entertainment, travel, sports and other musings on philosophy, communications and culture.
The picture has two axes - the horizontal axis, the X-Axis is general categories of understanding and expertise relevant to all.
And along the vertical, the Y-Axis is specific categories that personally apply to me.
![]() |
| My Blog Zone |
1. The X-Axis: The labels ranging from ignorance to sublime are general categories that apply to all. i.e. we are ignorant about some issues, appreciate other issues, are proficient in yet others and in a few lucky cases, sublimely talented - e.g. Michael Jordan, Einstein, Clinton in politicking - you get the picture.
2. The Y-Axis: The categories on the left are specific to me. The first and last were meant to be funny. My phone bill (and reports from my friends and family are the same) is ridiculous - so ridiculous that I am ignorant of either how much I pay or why I pay as much as I do. That was meant to funnily capture the zeitgeist about ever increasing phone bills.
Similarly, the last one regarding Power Point presentations was also meant to be tongue in cheek. Meaning, if I were sublimely talented in anything, it is not science, or the arts or business - but in creating power point presentations (that is meant to be funny!)
3. Now that we have merged the general labels with my specific personal attributes, I am ready to explain what I blog about.
a. I do not blog about work(right hand side of the spectrum) - rather that is already in the public domain - such as my recent Wharton Radio interview, my appearance at the Aspen Panel discussion, or the recent White House convening. Besides, that material is 'work-work' and meant for a specific and interested audience
b. I would not blog private matters, including topics such as politics and religion. Again, the inclusion of the phone bill was meant to be funny and tap into the zeitgeist.
c. This leaves me with my blog zone - the topics I blog about - and they include the arts, entertainment, travel, sports and other musings on philosophy, communications and culture.
I hope this makes sense and happy to get your feedback and your own reflections as to what attributes you would put on the Y-Axis. And where you would 'dial' them on the spectrum, whether it is indifference, appreciation or proficiency.

6 comments:
OK, that all makes sense then. The column to the left would read Surya and everyone’s would to one degree or another be different. For instance, I’d put politics and religion in the blog zone.
And now I know what you mean by sublime. One might think of it as what Mihály Csíkszentmihályi called Flow: “a psychological state where a person is fully immersed and focused on an activity or task.”
Got it.
This is a fun way to outline our personal blog zones. I like the tension you expose between private material and work material - and your personal "publication space". Maybe I'll sketch one of these out for myself.
Thanks for sharing!
t makes lot of sense to me!. If you can make a few modifications, it will be still better. 1) Make it such that those who get this can move the markers for their own situations and make some kind of self analysis! 2) This can be perhaps extended to other areas such as personal relationships, friendships and so on
Nice analysis!
Interesting!
My feedback - we would think politics is public, though your political opinions can be private - if you choose not to blog.
It's safe not to blog on ones' work... In my case, I am wary to speak anything more than what is already in the public domain....
So - philosophy, books, art and entertainment - are no risk zones!
Very interesting! You got me thinking and my 'blog zone' would be - food, memories and India and the order would switch depending on the post.
Post a Comment