My friend Michael Netter, is a successful management consultant. He has been advising major corporations in the US on marketing strategy. But first and foremost, he is a terrific artist, who has been painting for four decades; and all of his paintings gathered dust (and spiders) in his barn in New York State.
Michael is the son of Douglas Netter, who is a well known producer in Hollywood, who amongst many genres, specialized in westerns in the 1970s -
The Sacketts with Tom Selleck being a prominent example.
 |
| Michael and Warhol at The Factory |
Michael, worked with
Andy Warhol in the 1970s at the latter's studio which was called
The Factory. How the association came about is an interesting story. In the early 70s, Michael had secured a portable movie camera, one of the first of its kind. He was wandering about the streets of Manhattan filming various aspects of the city, and happened to run into
Andy Warhol. Warhol was fascinated by the device and asked Michael to come and work for him and film his work at his studio. Thus began his association.
Our mutual friend, who probably has the only painting by Michael on display in his office (which I have seen), persuaded him gently and persistently to exhibit his works.
The time finally came in 2016, and Michael has his first showing at the ACA gallery in Chelsea, NYC titled
Cryptographics. I enjoyed a private tour provided by the owner of the gallery, Casey, and really got to appreciate Michael's talent, more than I would have with a superficial glance.
Hope you enjoy these paintings as well, most of which are from the 1990s. Casey, the gallery owner said to me that they are 20 years ahead of its time, given the work artists are producing today.
 |
| Bart Simpson and George Washington |
 |
| Michael and Casey |
6 comments:
VERY cool!
Not only the story but also the art. I can see why Warhol and Netter got along. Not sure who influenced who (or whether they were simply simpatico). But in both we get the aesthetics of commercial graphic arts… and the tongue on cheek critique of commercialism (especially the work shown at the Cryptographics site). And I like it more than Warhol’s.
I can’t help but wonder, though, what Mr. Andrew Warhola would think of Mr. Netter’s livelihood.
Very cool!
I never knew Michael was such a talented artist!!
This is really terrific, Surya. Thanks for letting me know. Sobering and wonderful to see such deep and diverse talent from Michael than the business consultant I know. Shows the depth of talent and interests beyond our daily work lives.
Who knew this fascinating history of Michael Netter??!! I’m just sorry I missed his gallery showing. Thank you for sharing,
This is fantastic. Michael is quite the Renaissance man!!!!!
thanks for sharing this incredibly rich story about Michael’s artistic vision and expressions. His work is distinctive and terrific!!! I particularly like the 3-D picture you and Dan were standing by. Sorry I missed it. However, not surprised by Michael’s extraordinary talents.
Post a Comment