August 18, 2016

New Old-Country

I've made it a habit to visit India every other year for the past 25 years.  Although this year, I have visited India twice, once for a book ceremony on my old college campus in February.

Scott Fitzgerald said, "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."   It seems to me that there are three opposing ideas running concurrently in India.  One is the 21st Century ready India with Apps and Mobiles.  The Indian Millennials are giving no quarter to anyone.  The second is the Raj-Mughal India - whose vestiges are everywhere to be seen from architecture to public policy.  A third India also very much exists that looks at even a 500 hundred year history, let alone a 70 year history of modern India, as a blip in time.  India appears to function just fine through all three modes.

Hope you enjoy this photo essay from my August trip.


I.  Hyderabad Rocks
Incredible rock formations from 65 Million years ago around the city of Hyderabad!  
Nice coining of the label, 'Hyderabad Rocks' by my sister-in-law Prof. Kavita Daiya








II.  Backseat Photography
Did not have to step out of the car or out of the city to see animals of all sorts. 







III.  Culture Vulture
Charminar (Four Minarets) was built in 1591 to commemorate the end of a devastating plague




Statue of Rebekkah from the Old Testament - the sculpture of the 'veil' is remarkable
Salar Jung Museum



Striking painting labeled 'Peacock' by Indian great Hebbar
Salar Jung Museum




IV.  Big City
Was lucky to get a few special views of Mumbai on this trip








V.  New Old-Country
In 2016, this still is the headline on the front page of the national daily



A thoughtful article in the Economist on the same topic:


VI.  What's not to like?
Food, Family, Friends & Fun - What's not to like about a visit to India!



Paradise Restaurant of 'biriyani rice' fame, also serves a terrific dessert made of dates
called Qubani Ka Mitah






Cousins get a rickety Autorickshaw ride ...


Classmates from thirty years ago ...




Previous posts on India:

Intriguing optical and acoustical phenomena in six Indian Temples

A Foodie's Tour of India

Golden Triangle - India Visit

India Photos


22 comments:

Andy said...

Incredible photos--thank you for sharing. Wow!!

Ellen said...

Beautiful… the animal pics are crazy- so close!

Maria said...

Wow!!! So cool. India on my travel list :)

Kathy said...

That ox (or steer…) looks like he’d like to have you for lunch, and the monkey looks like he’s disappointed that you brought no bananas… That rock formation is really neat and unusual (I’m glad no one has tried to destroy it). That building is absolutely “magical!” J

Kathy McNulty said...

Wow! How Beautiful! They always walk on the streets???

Theresa said...

Wow… beautiful photos!

Robin said...

Awesome pics!!!!

RVK said...

Excellent.

Tim said...

With those pictures I felt that I get a bit better feel for what it would be like to travel in India. You know, without the heat and dust.

Was quite amazed at the view of Mumbai. It almost looked like NYC from that distance. Huge skyscrapers and park. And a bridge that reminded me of Boston’s. Though comparisons to this country is probably not evidence of a very sophisticated or cosmopolitan sensibility.

I was totally blown away by the statue of Rebekah. The veil effect is quite amazing. Can’t fathom how the sculptor did that.

GBP said...

Went through your blog. Quite a few nice photographs. The veiled sculpture is striking!

Wini said...

Love looking at the pics.

In all my various travels, I regret that I have not yet been to India. Alas - some day. In the meantime, Tony and I are headed off to Portugal and Spain next month to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

Bina said...

Looks great!

Indira said...

Pictures are very nice thanks for coming. We all enjoyed

Jon Currence said...

Amazing! Thanks for sending. Your son is getting so big - how old is he now?

Mike Hodin said...

Looks like a great trip. I’m sharing with Nancy – we hope to get to India on a vacation next year. Love the natural and the build-up of the cities! The bridge is spectacular, especially.

Welcome back.

Keith Scheer said...

Looks like it was a wonderful trip! Very much enjoyed your essay. Thank you for sharing.

Bob Whaley said...

Love your photo essays. What do your classmates think of the Donald?

Surya Kolluri said...

Thank you Bob. It seems to me that they are perhaps at such a distance that they appear to be more inquisitive than concerned.

Drew Holzapfel said...

Looks like an amazing trip!

Bob said...

I love your priorities and approach to life!

Eve said...

Just spectacular.

Anna said...

Amazing…I love those rocks!

Post a Comment