February 03, 2018

Diplomatese

I have passed by the United Nations in a cab on First Avenue in Manhattan, dozens of times.  Even more, whizzing by it on the FDR highway.  Of course, the images inside the UN are indelibly impressed in my memory from Cary Grant's opening sequence in Alfred Hitchcock's movie North By Northwest.  Perhaps the most colorful impression of all is the banging of the shoe on the podium during his speech by Soviet leader Nikita Khrurschev.  But I had never actually set foot inside.

I got a chance to visit, when asked to be a delegate on behalf of my company at the UN this past week for a conference on Environmental Finance.

Hope you enjoy these pictures from the visit.

I.  The UN Building
Spiffier and shinier than my passing impressions



II.  Sphere within a sphere
By sculptor Arnoldo Pomodoro (similar one at the Vatican too)



III.  Twisted Magnum
In memory of John Lenon's assassination and for peace



IV.  The Conference
Can the private sector and capital markets be profitably tapped?



V.  Take a seat please
Mind your language, .... and don't bang the shoe!





Story:  

Summit draws major investors with $30 trillion in assets under management to map out next steps on tackling climate risk and seizing low-carbon opportunities
https://www.ceres.org/news-center/press-releases/summit-draws-major-investors-30-trillion-aum-map-out-next-steps-tackling

Interview:  I was asked why would investors care.
Unlocking global investment pathways.  Where are we headed this year?
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2018/01/29/unlocking-global-investment-pathways?&slreturn=1517659580



 




7 comments:

SSR said...

Hearty congratulations. Once in a life time opportunity.

RVK said...

Very commendable- Keep it up!

Harvey said...

Great photos and sounds like a great conference - well done- and thanks for sending these to me..

Jon Currence said...

Wow! You look very regal.
Have a great weekend!

Matt DiGennero said...

Nicely done Surya. You look like you would fit in there. If you were a delegate, I can honestly say that we might have a fighting chance on the UN might actually getting something done vs simply talking about things and being a paper tiger.

Cary Greene said...

This is terrific, thank you! Very impressive.

Vicky said...

I did enjoy them, especially the one of your next to your “official” seat at the UN table!
Very glad you’re involved in this issue. I think it’s one of the most important problems we are facing; that and inequality.

Post a Comment