September 06, 2020

Nothing But Bach

I spent the summer of 2020 listening to and reading about the music of Johan Sebastian Bach.  The impression I am left with, after over 250 hours of listening and reading, is this:  if Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Vivaldi all represent the Himalayan mountain range of Western Classical music, then Bach is the Mt. Everest, towering over them.

I hope you enjoy these 10 summary thoughts about Bach, where I list his music and some trivia along the way:


10. Crab Canon (link)


So called because crabs can travel sideways to the left and the right.  This piece, featured in The Muscial Offering, has the melody going from right to left and left to right and sit on top of each other, and plays harmoniously.  A short piece - and a terrific introduction to the contrapuntal style of music that Bach epitomized.  Goes well with: Mirror Canon (link)

Trivia:  Bach's monogram represents this contrapuntal style.  His letters JSB are mirrored and transposed on each other to create it.
 

9.  Brandenburg Concertos (link)

When I would mention my summer deep dive, the unanimous reply was some version of, "I love his Brandenburg Concertos."  As did I.  They are musical, melodious, vibrant and absolutely well known.  All 6 of them very enjoyable.  #5 is easily my favorite.  Goes well with both Chaconne and Italian Concerto.


Trivia:  The King of Prussia Fredrick The Great will feature as trivia in my #1 selection below.  This trivia is about the town of King of Prussia that is situated north of Philadelphia.  It is so named because there was a bar there during the revolutionary war.  To attract German soldiers to fight on the American side, the bar owner named it King of Prussia.  Eventually the town was named that.  The bar is still there as a historical building!

 
8. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (link)

A derivation of the cantata, Heart and Mouth and Deed and Life, it seems that this piece is quite popular at weddings!  Goes well with Air on G string.

Trivia:  A quack from England made the rounds performing eye surgery.  He performed it twice on Bach who died in great suffering due to this at age 65 in 1750.


7. Passacaglia and Fugue (link)


At the time of Bach's death his reputation was of a great Organist.  And this piece is one of his most recognized.  Goes well with Fantasia & Fugue.

Trivia:  Passacaglia is featured in the climactic scene of the movie The Godfather, when Michael Corleone is asked if he "renounces Satan and all his works ..."


6. Cello Suites (link)

I waited a while in my deep dive to get to the Cello Suites.  And the wait was worth it.  My favorite is Suite 5.4 which is a Spanish Style Sarabande.  Goes well with concerto for two violins.

Trivia: Yo Yo Ma issued an album on these suites three times over his career.  He also designed a garden based on these suites.  The garden was initially proposed for Boston and finally ended up in Toronto. (link)
 

5. Cantatas (link)


Bach's prodigious output at the Cantor of Leipzig was astonishing - he produced an original Cantata to be sung every Sunday year after year!  He would start composing on Monday, the choir would practice and be ready for the Sunday service.  Cantata No. 82 is truly heart-wrenching - Ich Habe Genug (I have enough). Goes well with Magnificat.

Trivia:   John Eliot Gardiner would see a painting of J.S. Bach in the hallway of his house as a child.  Growing up, he realized it was one of the only surviving Bach portraits.  Later as he gained renown as the world's foremost Bach expert and conductor, he gifted the painting to the Bach museum in Leipzig.

4. French Suites (link)

If one agrees taste in music is subjective as with wine, then I would love to stake my claim that the French Suites are the most fun and enjoyable compositions by Bach.  Goes well with his English Suites.

Trivia: There are some excellent jokes with Bach as the subject.  Here is my favorite.  Stallone and Schwarzenegger want to make a period Hollywood movie.  Stallone says he will play Vivaldi.  Arnold replies, "I'll be Bach."


3. Art of Fugue (link)

Bach's contrapuntal style culminated in his Art of Fugue.  Indeed he died before he completed it.  There is an excellent lecture on this by Michael Parloff (link).  Goes well with the Goldberg Variations.

Trivia: There are some amazing quotes on Bach, none more revealing than Albert Einstein, himself an expert violinist who said, "This is what I have to say about Bach – listen, play, love, revere – and keep your trap shut.”

2. Mass in B minor (link)


Bach was in the Lutheran tradition.  Yet, one of his greatest compositions was for the Catholic Mass.  Our friend and neighbor performed this piece as part of the Back Bay Chorale in 2019 and shared the program book with me.  Goes well with St. Matthews Passion.

 

Trivia:  Bach's music was included in the Golden Record on both Voyagers I & II in the late 70s - and they have left the solar system into interstellar space!

1. Ricercar a 6 (link)

Bach's contrapuntal achieved its peak in this 6 voice fugue.  I have listened to this piece, in particular to the link above, nearly every night all summer.  At this point I can hear the melody and the six voices and the harmony across them.  Genuinely monumental work.  I have no words to describe this piece, only awe.

Trivia: "Old Bach" was how J.S. Bach was known by the time his sons themselves became prominent musicians.  King Fredrick The Great invited Old Bach to Potsdam and after a lot of persuasion he did visit.  Upon his visit, the King presented him a piece of music and asked him to create a contrapuntal in 3 voices on the spot.  Which Bach did!  Then the King challenged him to do it in 6 voices.  Bach demurred and promised to do so upon his return to Leipzig.  Which he did!


Notes:

 I arrayed J.S. Bach's repertoire into a two-by-two grid to get a better handle on his music.

 


 

Literature Survey:

Christoph Wolff - The Learned Musician

Christoph Wolff - Bach Essays on His Life and Music

Jan Swafford:  Language of the Spirit

Robert Marshall:  The Music of Johan Sebastian Bach

John Eliot Gardiner:  Music in the Castle of Heaven


Artists:

Andras Schiff - Piano

Hilary Hahn - Violin

Yo Yo Ma - Cello

Lang Lang - Piano

Glen Gould - Piano

Helmut Walcha - Piano

Sumi Jo - Soprano

Yehudi Menuhin - Violin

Pablo Casals - Cello

Murray Perahia - Piano

Ensembles:

Emerson String Quartett

Nethelands Bach Society

Boston Baroque

Orion Quartet

Bethlehem Choir

Windscape Woodwind Quartet

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Impressive. Thanks for the links - they really enhanced my reading of your summer project.

I loved the trivia too. The Schwarzenegger joke was hilarious and, of course, I was fascinated by the Philly Suburbs trivia.

Srini said...

A wonderful master piece on Bach

What a quality write up. Should be for connoisseurs! Brilliant.

The content keeps the reader engaged, interesting trivia, in all.


Thanks for sharing

Suresh Babu said...

Since I did not take formal lessons, I always listen and enjoy and not sure whether I can identify any styles.

However, it is always soothing to listen to his music when you are on long travel and no end in sight in airplanes!

Paul said...

Amazing work! I am talking about you and not Bach :-)

Might I suggest the Cantata BWV 34 on this beautiful morning.

Also, maybe you came across concerts by https://www.bachstiftung.ch/en/ on YouTube? My father went to Switzerland to see them perform live last year.

When I see you, I can tell you how my 92-year old father who walks with two canes somehow got to the small city of St-Gallen in Switzerland to see a concert by the Bach-Stiftung but I am sure you will understand his determination.

What's next for you? Mozart? Or maybe try something completely different like Verdi? A friend of my mother's who was very knowledgeable on music said that if he were on a desert island and could only listen to one composer, it would be Verdi. I am not sure I would necessarily agree but it made me listen to Verdi.

Bulusu Dutt said...

Thanks Surya for sharing.

Like you, I also decided to learn something - I started learning Sanskrit recently and it is an amazing experience and I am enjoying it greatly.

Hassy said...

Wow. Much better use of the summer than I did

Paul Irving said...

Looking forward to your future (encore) career as a columnist/poet/art critic, etc.

Tell me again, how did a guy like you end up at Wharton and Corporate America?

Surya Kolluri said...

Thank you Paul!

This below, is my favorite story about Bell Labs and how they had a program to impart a “liberal” (in the academic sense of the term) education to their executives. Even though such a program does not exist these days, I try to create it for myself.

This article from 2010 NYT oped pages is definitely worth a read!

The ‘Learning Knights’ of Bell Telephone:
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/opinion/16davis.html?referringSource=articleShare


Paul Irving said...

We need to reinvigorate and invest in the arts and humanities, generally. Just imagine--resident arts laureates at Alphabet, Amazon, Facebook, etc. (might be good for the culture of the companies—and good longer-term for the world).

Tim said...

Very informative, including the trivia.

I also enjoyed the color-coded graphical tracking of the notes of Ricercar. Would never have followed the interplay otherwise.

I must say that you do engage in an interesting combination of deep-dives and eclectic autodidacticism.

Good on you.

Balaji said...

Thanks for introducing Bach to all of us in brief but brilliant series of Audio clippings and now this write up.

The 250 hour plus time spent this summer researching the All time great Composer and his work with interesting Trivia, I am sure would have you rate this summer as the best well spent one of yours.

Venkat said...

Great summer project - as delightful and as instructive as the one you did last summer on the subject of sleep - based on the book by Matt Walker.

You let us travel with you this time on audio capsules with the delight of Bach samples.

This essay is a great compilation in writing of your audio capsule installments; and your idea of commentary accompanied by trivia makes for excellent reading. Thank you for bringing this to us.

The essay is a great digest on the musician, his music and it's impact.

And may I say now that you have rested your case unequivocally on why Bach is the Everest of mountains!

Post a Comment