The morning after Surya arrived to visit his father. Raman had taken a fall the previous day, in his office.
Cameras and a fall alarm brought help right away. He had smartly refused emergency care, calmly and correctly.
I. OVERTURE
Surya: Good morning, Dad. Good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?
Raman: Stiff. But present. Which at my age is the main objective.
Surya: (smiling) You had me worried.
Raman: I had me worried too. For approximately thirty minutes when I fell. Then I assessed the situation.
Surya: I saw you assess the situation. I was watching on the camera.
Raman: Ah yes. The camera. Alls well. What is on your mind this morning?
Surya: I have been thinking about what traits help a person become well-rounded. We have exchanged notes on this over the years.
Raman: Excellent topic, I look forward to diving in. Would you like some coffee?
II. THE WELL-ROUNDEDNESS
Surya: A few years ago, I had shared with you my initial thoughts on traits of a well-rounded human. You wrote a commentary on those traits.
Raman: Eight traits, I remember. Humility, network, the right question, passion beyond work, resilience, the power of story, decision making for the future, loyalty.
Surya: Which of those traits hold up even today, upon reflection?
Raman: All of them. But not equally.
Surya: What changed?
Raman: Resilience I understood in the abstract when I wrote it. I understand it differently now. Especially after yesterday.
Surya: Walk me through what happened. From the beginning.
Raman: I lost my footing in my office. I fell off the chair.
Surya: Were you scared?
Raman: For a moment. And then I became practical. I pressed the alarm on my wrist.
Surya: The emergency team wanted you to go in to the ER!
Raman: They were insisting quite forcefully. And I refused. Because the data did not support going in.
Surya: I was on both camera and phone and I agreed with you.
Raman: Which I appreciated. You did not panic either.
Surya: I had the camera. I could see you were yourself. I once wrote about the journey into fear. Five layers. Respect, wealth, health, mind, life. When I saw you on that camera, I went through all five in about ten seconds.
Raman: And which one stayed longest?
Surya: Health. And then mind.
Raman: They do. And this is exactly why resilience must be built before you need it. By the time you are on the floor in your office, it is too late to start developing it. You either have it or you do not.
Surya: How do you define resilience now, after yesterday?
Raman: Not the absence of fear. The speed of return to clear thinking. The fall was not the enemy. Panic would have been the enemy.
Surya: And the trait on decision making for the future, not the past?
Raman: The emergency team was reacting to what they saw in front of them. An old man on the floor. I was assessing what I actually felt, which was a man who had fallen but was not broken.
Surya: Your whole life has been a series of bets on the future. Johns Hopkins in the 1960s. The Fulbright. The laser labs. The immigration.
Raman: And the painting at 85. That was also a bet. That it was not too late to begin something new.
III. STORIES AND FACTS
Surya: I want to press you on one of the eight traits. The power of story.
Raman: Press away.
Surya: I wrote something that goes against the grain of how most people think about storytelling. I argued that stories are not statistically valid for predictions. We reach for the narrative before we reach for the base rate.
Raman: You are right that the narrative mind skips the base rate. That is the great weakness. But the story is not always the enemy of truth. The story is what keeps the scientist at the bench when the data is ambiguous. Newton did not discover gravity by running a regression. He had a story first. The mathematics came later.
Surya: So stories generate the hypothesis. Facts test it.
Raman: That is the scientific method, yes. The error is when people treat the story as the conclusion. Skip the testing entirely.
Surya: Which is what most people do. The stories we tell about our networks are often wrong. We think we know who will show up. We rarely test it until a crisis arrives.
Raman: Yesterday was a test. Ram and Kris were here within minutes and hours.
Surya: That is what I mean. The network was not theoretical. It was there. You wrote that no man is an island. I wrote that you have to tend the network long before you need it.
Raman: The relationship has to have a life outside the transaction. Otherwise when you reach for it in a moment of need, you find it was never really there.
IV. QUESTIONS
Surya: I want to put three questions to you. About the future. I wrote about them some years ago and they have only grown in my mind since then.
Raman: Work, environment, security. I remember.
Surya: On work first. What happens to meaning and incentive in a world where nanotechnology governs everything and people live well past a hundred?
Raman: That is a physicist's question dressed in an economist's clothing. Technology has never eliminated the need for purpose. It has only changed the form purpose takes. When lasers moved from the laboratory into surgery and manufacturing, physicists did not disappear. They moved upstream. The same will happen with nanotechnology. The question is whether we move people upstream fast enough to keep pace.
Surya: And if we do not?
Raman: Then we will have a very large and very purposeless population with very sophisticated tools. That is a serious problem.
Surya: The Malthus question then. Climate. Are we alarmists, or is this genuinely different from his population panic?
Raman: Malthus was not wrong about the pressure. He was wrong about human adaptability. The same error is possible on climate. The science on warming is not in question. What is genuinely open is whether solar, fusion, and other sources will scale in time to outpace the damage already set in motion. I hold both possibilities.
Surya: And security. Has globalization given us a false sense of peace between cultures?
Raman: (without hesitation) Yes. Trade is not culture. Shared supply chains do not produce shared values. The past few years have made that very clear. Economics brought the world closer together in one dimension. The deeper tensions remained untouched.
Surya: So globalization solved the economic problem and left the civilizational one alone.
Raman: Worse. It may have covered it over long enough that we stopped paying attention to it
V. PROBLEM SOLVING
Surya: Let me leave you with four words. I wrote about them once in the context of problem solving. Integral, Sanity, Silence, Sight.
Raman: This sounds like the opposite of how I was trained.
Surya: It is. The scientific method deconstructs. These four words ask you to hold the whole before you break it apart. Integral means starting with the full picture. Sanity means being present to the actual problem in front of you, not the assumed one. Silence means giving the mind room to work without forcing it. And Sight means the answer, when it arrives, should feel as plain as looking at a flower. It is just there.
Raman: I have experienced that. Not often. But in the best moments in the laboratory. When you have been working on something for weeks and then one morning, before you have reached your desk, you see it. The whole thing at once.
Surya: That is Sight.
Raman: I always attributed it to sleep. The mind processing without interference.
Surya: That is Silence.
Raman: (smiling) You are reverse engineering my experience into your framework.
Surya: Or your experience was always an instance of the framework and you had no name for it yet.
Raman: That is possible. I will say this. The older I get, the less I trust deconstruction alone for the biggest questions. You can break a problem into its parts and solve each part correctly and still miss what the problem was actually about. The context is not inside the components. It is around them.
Surya: I wrote exactly that. The problem with the sentence may not be in the words. It may not be in the sequence. It may be the context that is not visible inside the sentence at all.
Raman: Heisenberg again. The observer and the system are never fully separate. The context is always part of the problem.
Surya: So a physicist and a consultant can agree on Integral, Sanity, Silence, Sight.
Raman: We can agree on the idea. Whether we can practice it is another matter entirely.
Surya: That is the honest answer.
VI. FINI
Surya: Any last words on these eight traits?
Raman: I have a 9th!
Surya: Ha! Let us have it ..
Raman: Nice. Be Nice
Surya: I suppose. But if our kindness is taken for weakness.
Raman: That, is for our next conversation!
No comments:
Post a Comment