I have been enjoying looking up, watching, listening and reading interviews (the pow wows) of various people of interest to me. I wanted to share 10 of those with you here - and since it is way too much content, wanted to give just one headline from each of these interviews that might intrigue you to watch it yourselves. These are not in any order of importance or chronology:
- Richard Feynman:
Talks about "What is beauty?" I immediately called my Dad and got a download from him about his experiences with Feynman in the 60s when Feynman was at his peak and my dad was a Physics post doc here in the states
- Andy Warhol:
Irony, not essence
- Alexandra Horowitz
What is its Umwelt? i.e. rather than anthropomorphizing an animal, ask what does it feel to be that animal? As Thomas Nagel asked, "What is it to be like a bat?"
- Francis Ford Coppola
His work was considered great 30 years after he created it and was criticized at that time. His advice, if you are young and starting out and people say you are wrong, DO IT, GO FOR IT!
- Andy Roberts
The best batsman he has bowled to - Suni Gavaskar. The best player he has ever seen - Gary Sobers.
- Amitav Ghosh:
I liked him up a little after we exchanged emails. Hi new book titled River of Smoke set one year before the Opium wars in China, most of which was produced in India and shipped along the Ganges (American Universities were funded and started with this money!). I just bought it.
- Javed Akthar:
Has profound things to say about the role of minorities in a community - briefly, that they need to standup to radicals in their own community.
- Shabana Azmi:
A Hyderabad girl. Smart and rebellious - love her! The movie that changed her life was Arth. The scene that changed her life was when she grovels to Khulbhusshan Kharbhanda to stay with him even though he has an affair with Smita Patil. As an actor she reached into a part of her to play that scene that caused her a lot of pain - that she never forgot.
- Mahesh Bhatt:
The importance of being able to BS - b*& S#@*%
- Shyam Benegal:
A Hyderabad boy. Erudite - gotta love him! He had a long association with Satyajit Ray, and was influenced by him NOT to be influenced by him.
2 comments:
Thanks for your time & patience
To write in length on known people,
Totally unknown facts; interesting!
Thanks for this. The only name that I both recognized and also hold in high regard is Feynman’s. I of course know Warhol, but don’t think much of him. Of the rest, I find Horowitz most intriguing. If for no other reason than for ammunition for my war against anthropomorphism.
Post a Comment