June 21, 2013

Twelve great tunes from around the world

There is a lot of news coming out of neuro-science as scientists map the brain and correlate it to behavior, thoughts and emotions.  There is a healthy debate to be had that we run the risk of reductive reasoning.  However, it is just very exciting science!  A recent NY Times article explored why humans enjoy music using neuro-science research.

Why music makes our brain sing:  
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/why-music-makes-our-brain-sing.html?_r=0


And that got me thinking about great tunes from around the world that each culture enjoys.  I ended up selecting twelve songs - French, Italian, Spanish, HIndi, Tamil, Turkish, Hebrew and one in a Calypso style.

I selected these songs for being light and fun, authentic to their roots and are such that they flow from one to the other easily without one needing to know the language!

Hope you enjoy the list!


French

1.  Serre Moi (Hug me) by Tyro




Tryo is a French reggae band, popular in Europe and Canada.  They show a fun side with a range of humorous songs.


Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcNDGHv9Teo

Lyrics:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Serre-Moi-Hug-me.html


2.  Champs Elysee by Joe Dassin

Fantastic video and even better song by this polyglot born in the US!  This tune presents the danger of easily getting stuck in the head....




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7-UcdcK4AA

Lyrics:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Les-Champs-Elysees-Champs-Elysees.html


Italian

3.  Azzuro - Adrano Celentano

Catchy catchy Italian number with a wee bit of disco creeping in.




Video and Lyrics:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORTLUirbvRo


4.  Albachiara - Vasco Rossi

Starts slow, but some great guitar work!




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZmTg-Ym-Q

Lyrics:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Alba-chiara-Alba-chiara.html


Spanish

5.  Flor de Luna - Santana

No complaints on including Santana!  Instrumental.




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1Ahm3h7ho

6.  Pajarillo - El Cartel De Nuevo Leon


I won't be surprised if you get in the mood for a good Chile Relleno - but the song is better!  Nice to follow along with the lyrics (even if one does not understand it... somehow makes the music more appealing).




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi9mYlhaU8I

Lyrics:  http://www.justsomelyrics.com/173318/el-cartel-de-nuevo-leon-pajarillo-lyrics.html


Hindi

7.  Senorita - Zindagi Na Milegi Na Dobara

From the hit movie.  Shankar-Eshan-Loy have a nice rock and lilt to their music.



Tune:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=zindagi+na+milegi+dobara&sprefix=zinda%2Cpopular%2C199


Tamil

8.  Elay Keechan - Composed by AR Rahman

AR Rahman composed this tune.  He won an Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire.




Video and Lyrics:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0fsyaOFmA


Turkish

9.  Renkli Ruyalar Oteli by Teoman

Perfect East meets West number




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOw-bW5gsc

Lyrics:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Renkli-Rueyalar-Oteli-Renkli-Rueyalar-Oteli.html


10.  Herseyi yak by Murat Boz


Perfect East meets West number - Part II




Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-oMjXyg4s

Lyrics:  http://lyricstranslate.com/en/node/70980


Calypso

11.  Merci Bon Dieu - Harry Belafonte

I was 10 when I heard Harry Belafonte, and I still love his music.



Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPveBGLVMZ0

Lyrics:  http://www.lyricstime.com/harry-belafonte-merci-bon-dieu-lyrics.html


Hebrew

12.  Hava Naguila

Did not know that this was originally a Romanian folk song (the tune at least).



Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAyAGsFyco






1 comment:

Keith Scheer said...

I have given it a couple of listens and enjoy very much… I tend to lean more to a traditional acoustic sound, like the variety of styles and the textures/layering used to differentiate… And I do have to say – Hava Nagila was an unexpected surprise – but completely makes sense with your “peppy” objective!!

Post a Comment