July 20, 2015

Ten Tips from Hank Haney

During my visit to Lake Tahoe in July, I was surprised to have the opportunity to attend a clinic with Hank Haney for an hour.

During the clinic, Ray Romano of Everybody Loves Raymond came by, and the two of them had a fun banter.  Ray's goal has been to break 80, although he started with Hank when he was scoring in the 90s.  Hank was joking that whenever Ray got close to breaking 80, he would get a text.  Ray is still in that quest!



Hank is insightful and precise.  He managed to pack in simple but useful tips throughout the clinic, borne by years of knowing what works with amateur golfers and what they will actually respond to.  He did tease amateur golfers in a light hearted way through the clinic - the foibles and habits he has observed of amateur golfers over the years, was pretty funny!  He was also good at imitating swings of celebrity golfers.  He actually hurt himself during the clinic imitating Jack from Duck Dynasty.

Like with the Ray Romano story, he was chockfull of entertaining anecdotes as well.  Once in a while he would veer off into technical descriptions, but quickly come back - which made one realize that we were in a Golf Level 101 talk, as it were,  and he could just as easily be at Golf 601 with someone like a Tiger Woods at his peak....

On my flight back to Boston from Lake Tahoe, I synthesized they key points in his clinic into these 10 tips.

Of these, I think Tip #3 was the 'aha' insight for me.  I do intend to very much incorporate Tip #3 into my golfing routine (as soon as I am able!! ha ha)

Ten Tips from Hank Haney


I.  Golf Strategy 

1.  Eliminate mistakes - no penalties, no two chips, two sand shots, 3 puts ....

2.  Swing hard - it is a sport - one WILL NOT improve the score and eventually one's handicap, by swinging slowly, or slowing down the swing.


II.  Daily Drills

3.  100 practice swings everyday - real swings, with or without ball.  Takes 10-15 mins.

4.  Two tees - Swing between two tees set next to each other so you learn to swing with club square to ball


III.  Tee-Up

5.  Tee up half ball above driver; do not use extra long tees (recipe for lost balls).

6.  Tee up on par-3 holes as well (at worst, one loses 10-15 yards, but the ball will at least get there).


IV.  Swing Analysis

There was a lot o discussion of one's swing plane.  Bottom line was that the swing plane cannot be too vertical or too horizontal.  It needs to be in-between the two in a matter that fits each golfer.

7. Consistently, too much divot means swing plane is too vertical

8.  Consistently topping the ball means swing plane is too horizontal

9.  Hinge wrists to extend rotation (and get more swing speed).

10.  Slice - 'Slicers cannot win' - have to fix it.

A.  Problem associated with slice include:

-  grip too tight

-  hands tend to be above the club

-  swing finish tends to end in the direction between second and third base, using a baseball diamond visual

-  hands lag behind twist of body

B.  Solution to the slice

-  loosen the grip

-  move hands such that they are below club

-  swing to first base (VERY HARD TO DO)

-  slow twist of body or accelerate hands to catch up with twist

The above is for right handed golfers.  The descriptions for a hook problem are the reverse of the above.

As usual, I have to translate this to my Left Handed needs!

Summary:  

My first ever professional golfing instruction was way back in the 1990s, when I went to Pinehurst, North Carolina to attend a camp over several days.  This clinic 20+ years later felt very good.  As we well know, these tips need to be actually be incorporated through practice to improve the game.

I may not successfully incorporate all 10 of these tips - but shame on me if I don't use Tip #3 !




3 comments:

Carl said...

Thanks Surya - this is the most comprehensive rundown of a golf lesson ever, so thanks! Guess I can skip my lesson this week!

Shankar said...

Nice write-up. Tip #3 is the secret.

Jim Goodwin said...

great stuff - I like it a lot - Thanks Surya

that wrist hinge is unpredictable fuel
I’ve learned that the left wrist can hinge in only one direction (obviously it can hinge in 3 dimensions) and get the job done
the label of your glove must stay in a plane parallel to the face of your watch.

try it - its a great way to learn the hinge

Post a Comment