August 12, 2015

Arrivederci ....!

History, culture, food and varied scenic vistas - Italy has got it all - fantastico!


I. Marc Antony Spoke here ....
The Roman Forum




II.  Colossal indeed
Disorienting to see a huge stadium with no seating - they have eroded




III.  Where Pope Francis Lives
Rich history, grand architecture by SeƱor Michelangelo himself








IV.  Three coins in the fountain
Pity it was under construction - but have seen it depicted enough by Hollywood




V.  Roman Selfie
At the Borghese Gallery



VI.  Infinite beauty
Florence, the original capital



VII.  Under the Tuscan sun
Preserved from medieval times




VIII.  It leans!
Much cleaner and brighter than I imagined ...




IX.  Manga Bene
Seriously good food - eggplant for everyone!



X.  Stay calm mountain ...
Mount Vesuvius and Naples



.... and the town it buried in 79 AD - Pompeii




XI.  Procida
Isles of Italy



XII.  Arrivederci ...




Notes:  Some movies I caught up with to get in and stay in the mood for Italy included -

- Three Coins in the Fountain:  dated sociologically, but peerless travelogue
- Ripley's Game:  don't buy this either
- Marc Antony speech by Marlon Brando:  great speech and peerless acting
- Rick Steven's episodes on Italy:  appealing host.  

If you are a foodie, this additional post might be of interest!  Mangia Bene





28 comments:

Unknown said...

Good and crisp capture of salience!

Krishnan said...

You should have said, 'vein vidi vici...!'

Ranga said...

Where would you rank Pieta amongst Michelangelo's best works?

SPK said...

ndeed - I have a much better appreciation of Michelangelo now - somehow it was a famous name, and an abstract concept it my head until I actually saw his paintings and sculptures - and then it all clicked. Outstanding! I am tempted to read and have added Irving Stone's the agony and the ecstasy to my reading list ...

GBP said...

Michelangelo was truly stupendous as were his teacher’s works in an obscure Florentine church!

Tim said...

Perhaps this should have been read before going… though it might also be a good way to reinvigorate the memories as time passes…

This ‘reconsideration’ of the life and work of one of the countless who have been enchanted by Rome and the effect of that enchantment over a lifetime:

It might do as a good read on your trip back…. Eleanor Clark's Rome
- Rome was a magical place for Eleanor Clark, who shares her connection with the city in Rome and a Villa.

RVK said...

The vineyards of Tuscany are beautiful. I am also reminded of Astrix when I saw them!

Kris said...

I jogged in Naples, where you took the picture!!

Theresa Auletti said...

I am glad that you loved it. I spent a month there long time ago. Want to take my mom there as well!

Kathy Petersohn said...

Beautiful - how was the weather?

Bharani said...

You have indeed captured Italy nicely in pics and write-up, Surya. I enacted Marc Antony in a school play and had memorized all those lines.

We hope to make our Europe trip next year.

Matt Card said...

Looks beautiful - thanks for sharing!

Kathy McNulty said...

WOW! Beautiful - thanks for sharing!

Ruthann Rowan said...

Wow - that is truly beautiful!

Maria Cedeno said...

OMG!!! Amazing - beautiful views of Napoli, Roma and Firenzi - brings back happy memories when we spent time in Italy in 2003! Thanks for sharing.

Michael Netter said...

We are Italophiles and have enjoyed almost everything you have shown… except have never been south of Rome. The selfie picture is hysterical! (What brand of phone did he have? I can’t see… did he also have an iWatch?)

I just watched Brando… he’s great (and looks like a Roman statue). Somehow the Charlton Heston version popped up after Brando’s and, to my surprise, his performance is terrific, also! Check it out. (I think Willy Shakespeare contributed a little bit to the power of the speech… don’t you?)

Bob said...

I never take more beautiful pictures than when I am in Rome. Few things are easier. I love that you study the history of these places when you travel. They do all have wonderful stories. I have just finished reading "Othello" and "The Fall of The Ottomans" by Eugene Rogan.

The first tells the story of mankind's premier villain (Iago) and his determination to ruin Othello, the man who was his God before passing him over for promotion. I kept saying to myself: So this is how jealousy destroys.

The second is the story of the impact of the First World War on the Middle East told from the Turk and Arab point of view. I kept saying to myself: So this is why a current problem still torments us.

Surya Kolluri said...

Rick Stevens the travel documentarian says that if you think Italy is intense, wait till you get to southern Italy - especially Naples.

My wife and I were laughing that Naples reminded us of India for its intensity and polyglot culture - why they have their own language separate from Italian (called Napoletano) - which is a mixture of Greek, Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic. Since the source of good information including state of the economy are cab drivers (not!), I pressed the guy who was driving us to Pompeii and back about this language - and he was adamant, Italian style, that Napoletano was not a dialect but a distinct language.


The selfie stick was the most awful, prevalent hawker-sold item we saw on this trip. Imagine fabulous architectures and paintings, marred by a sea of selfie sticks in front of them. Was I glad that this scene was absent in front of the Pieta within the Basilica.

Glad you watched Brando. I agree that Charlton Heston did a surprisingly commendable job as well. I read, that while Shakespeare was masterful with his Julius Caesar play, that Marc Antony's speech was historically accurate.

Here is a passage from Ancient Warfare magazine: "The Greek historian Appian of Alexandria (c.95-c.165) has included several speeches in his History of the Civil wars, all of them being own compositions (2.101). However, the speech of Antony is not a composition, but a report of what was said. It is very likely that Appian's account is an accurate rendering of the words that were spoken during Caesar's burial."

Finally, the most intriguing place I saw was the house of Cassius Long in Pompeii. He was the first one to strike Caesar, while Brutus was the last. Lovely house, well preserved including frescos and paintings on the walls and a terrific backyard.

All in all - a great trip!

Bonnie Benhayon said...

Roman Selfie is hilarious!

Did you like the Pieta in the Vatican every time I see it I am stunned my its beauty.

I saw you went through Naples and to Pompeii. As I recall its only an hour or so past Naples.

Michael Netter said...

Wow, that was the real speech? Who the heck was that speechwriter?! It is so powerful yet so nuanced. Kind of damning with faint praise.

Re; Naples. I had heard that through the work of gangster contractors and corrupt officials, parts of Naples has 2 - 3 traffic signals per block. Like 3 stops to get from 42nd St to 43rd St on Sixth Ave. True?

Surya Kolluri said...

About Naples - don't know about traffic lights - but it is a vast city with NO green spaces ...

Jon Currence said...

Beautiful pictures!

Paul Hilton said...

Wow amazing shots. We loved Pompeii. Just amazing to see in person

Fred Seeber said...

Thanks for these wonderful pics'

John Buggie said...

Looks amazing!

ssr said...

very nice

Anonymous said...

Great shots - reinforced my desire to do Italy one of these days! thanks, Zafar

..egg dot dot .. said...

Nice photo essay KS! The place is very creative and has great variety! Are you still there or back! Venice is still to come?

Post a Comment