I just finished with the first volume of Pax Britannica by Jan Morris. She (he, originally) is a SUPERB writer. I originally and coincidentally had read Jan Morris' book on a foreign perspective on Abraham Lincoln. I had liked her writing even then, but never followed up on her other works (which turns out to be quite extensive).
In this trilogy, she has taken a pontillistic approach to describing the British Empire - meaning, that she recounts an interesting episode here and another interesting episode there. And soon when you step back, a fuller picture of the empire emerges. In this first volume she traces the rise of Empire. In particular, I really liked the small sketches of quirky people who went about building an empire without actually knowing they were doing so, and without the royalty and politicians back in Great Britain knowing that this was happening either!
I was quite fascinated by the chapter on Thugees. Jan Morris goes into a fair bit of color and detail in terms of how the Thugees operated, especially in the Bihar region of Northern India. She vividly describes the elaborate rituals and governing philosophy that ran through the cult. The story of the British officer who cracked down on this cult and what drove him to do so is an interesting vignette, that anticipates the animating principle for the overall empire. Pierce Brosnan starred in a movie about the Thugees called The Deceivers.
By far the best chapter in this first volume was the 'The Great Exhibition' of 1851 in Hyde Park organized primarily by Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband). Two interest aspects - it was self-funded and ultimately profitable. Also, it showcased Britain's Industrial might and inspired the population of Great Britain to participate in the expansion of Empire. The best exhibit in this was the Crystal Palace or The Great Shalimar. Millions of British citizens visited this great building and were inspired to see technological advances from all over the world displayed in one place for the first time.
I suppose this chapter intrigued me also because of the Montreal '67 world expo that took place when my Dad was in the US and when he was a post doctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins University. He had brought back 'view master' reels of it. As a child of 8 or 9 years old growing up on a college campus in India, I remember watching these 3D pictures of amazing exhibits from all around the world and was transported into different cultures and different achievements of the late 60s. In particular this was the age of the Apollo missions that held the world entranced.
I can only imagine how one hundred years prior to that, in the 1850s in Victorian England, the English were inspired.
Jan Morris' excellent first volume overall covers countries of the British Empire all over the world from the West Indies to South Africa to Egypt and is quite a lovely read! I am looking forward to the two more volumes left in this trilogy (Pax Britannica: The Climax of Empire and Farewell the Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat).
In this trilogy, she has taken a pontillistic approach to describing the British Empire - meaning, that she recounts an interesting episode here and another interesting episode there. And soon when you step back, a fuller picture of the empire emerges. In this first volume she traces the rise of Empire. In particular, I really liked the small sketches of quirky people who went about building an empire without actually knowing they were doing so, and without the royalty and politicians back in Great Britain knowing that this was happening either!
I was quite fascinated by the chapter on Thugees. Jan Morris goes into a fair bit of color and detail in terms of how the Thugees operated, especially in the Bihar region of Northern India. She vividly describes the elaborate rituals and governing philosophy that ran through the cult. The story of the British officer who cracked down on this cult and what drove him to do so is an interesting vignette, that anticipates the animating principle for the overall empire. Pierce Brosnan starred in a movie about the Thugees called The Deceivers.
![]() |
| Crystal Palace |
![]() |
| Viewmaster Expo 67 reels |
I can only imagine how one hundred years prior to that, in the 1850s in Victorian England, the English were inspired.
Jan Morris' excellent first volume overall covers countries of the British Empire all over the world from the West Indies to South Africa to Egypt and is quite a lovely read! I am looking forward to the two more volumes left in this trilogy (Pax Britannica: The Climax of Empire and Farewell the Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat).



6 comments:
I've ordered a copy ...
This is now on my wish list — right up my alley. I know Jan Morris as a travel writer. (I think some food also?)
Having referenced your 8-9-year-old self, I am curious about your heritage. Where were you born, when did your family move where and why?
Hi Michael - Well - I'm a campus brat! I was in India on a college campus through high school before going to Philly. Most of my Dads colleagues were were western trained in the US, UK, Canada, Germany and so on.
And we had lots of international visiting professors and students.
Thus I grew up with a global, albeit academic view of life - leavened by reading, writing, debating and many a dinner listening to erudite conversations about science,engineering, arts and development.
Thus a global perspective was never really 'foreign' to me.
We also watched Hollywood movies twice a month - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Godfather, Aliens, Sound of Music, Mad Mad Mad World and do on.
We also watched great BBC shows and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.
Our favorite novelists were Arthur Hailey, Colin Forbes, Jeffrey Archer and Sydney Sheldon.
We also grew up on Tennessee Williams and August Strindberg.
Panam and TWA were global aspirational icons!!
Indira Gandhi was larger than life!
McEnroe vs Borg ruled our imagination !!
Wow… looks like you’re keeping your pledge to do more long-form reading.
Also, how interesting that England became an ‘accidental empire’… the sobriquet often attached to our country. And was totally unaware of the Thuggees. When reading this bit I wondered if this is where we get the term ‘thug’ from. So I Wikipedia-ed it. And, … it is.
Finally, what a small world. I too used to love looking at the 3-D pictures through those binocular viewers and being entranced.
Enjoyed it, thanks.
Thanks Tim. Those view master reels were so fantastic to experience, especially as a kid.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Take it all the way to the retreat.
Post a Comment