December 19, 2020

Schrodinger's Bat

My work from home office is on the third floor, a one floor commute from the bedroom and two floor commute from the kitchen.  The setup had been working quite well and getting better as the year wore on.

Thursday evening, I finished my day's work and stepped out to commute downstairs  Right at eye level, I saw a bat circling above the stairwell.


This perfectly captures the end of this year, I thought!

You would easily debunk my manly behavior at this point, since a quick check-in with my wife Mini, would reveal that a scream or two was heard coming from upstairs.

After ducking behind one door first and the other next, I managed to trap the bat in one of the guest bedrooms that we seldom use.

We called our critter service who could not come due to the snow storm that happened that very day!  So we taped up the door and slept in our respective bedrooms with doors shut.

Friday morning, before the rest of the family woke up, I put on my ski gear including helmet, goggle, gloves - the whole nine yards.  I opened a couple of windows so the bat could fly out, and braved into the room where the bat was trapped.

No bat!

So I shut the door again and waited for the animal service to arrive.

Dave, from the company showed up and we were all duly masked up.  Dave also searched high and low and did not find the bat.

He finally pointed out that the bat escaped through a tiny sliver of an opening in one of the windows.

I asked him if he was sure and he replied that it was most likely that it escaped but not guaranteed...

Dave left, after formally ensuring that none of us had come into actual contact with the said bat.  And then, I spent rest of the day working.

At the end of the day, like the day before when I was about to open my home office door on the third floor, it occurred to me that I facing the situation of the Schrodinger’s Bat.

If the bat had escaped it would not be flying right outside my door.

But if the critter control guy was wrong, and since it was now dark and bats activate at about this time, it would be right outside the door flying in a circle at the height of my forehead, over the stairwell. 

And when I opened the door, the wave function with these two states of yes bat and no bat, that were superposed would collapse.

With this thought in mind, I slowly opened the door and peered out ..... 

 


 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Based on my many bat adventures I suggest that you keep a badminton racket in your office. Mine has been very effective!
Jim

Ssr said...

Two or three bats used to visit us. Now none! Where did they go,why? is my worry. Some beetles come exactly at 2.15
P.m to collect honey from the drumstick flowers and will leave after 15 minutes.

Post a Comment