Hope you enjoy the summary of posts throughout 2016. Thank you for great conversations throughout the year across various media! Also, at the bottom are posted summaries of titles from prior years, including my first essay from way back in 1989.
Summary of 2016 Titles
Reviews
Book Review: Exhibition and Empire. I just finished with the first volume of Pax Britannica by Jan Morris. She (he, originally) is a SUPERB writer.
Book Review: My Brilliant Friend. The book is by Elena Ferrante. The author uses a pseudonym, which has both created its own mystery and a suspicion that the book is biographical.
Book Review: Men Without Work. Nick Eberstadt's book is about the approximately 10 million American males who are out of work and are an 'invisible' segment to policy makers and the general public dialogue.
Essays
Battles and Echoes - The US Civil War. Nearly 30 years have passed since I first came across the topic of the US Civil War, and until this summer, I did not dive into the topic to understand its scale and complexity.
Artificial Love. I have been musing whether a nicely designed robot could make my dog Fred, 'happy.'
Alexa ... you firing me? I am most delighted by the newest addition to my home office. It is Alexa. I have this sudden fear that Alexa might fire me ....
Social Media Map. If the mobile in our hands is taking up more of our time and attention than other activities such as reading, sports, conversing with friends and family or even sleep, it is perhaps in no small measure driven by social media.
These reward points for real? I was flying coast to coast luxuriating on 'this side of the curtain,' with my silverware and hot meal, thinking, 'hey, points with this airline get me nice treatment.'
Playing the hand. We live in a world today that is changing fast. It occurs to me, that the fascinating aspect of our dynamic and transforming world, is that individuals, companies, communities, societies and countries have all been dealt a fresh hand and have a chance to play another round (to use a card game metaphor).
Sketches on Manhood. Bollywood's Dharmendra is 80 years old now and enjoys a legendary film record. As much as we have been entertained by him, there are themes and patterns that emerge from his body of work.
Cache for 'stache. A personal story here in connection with Letitia Baldridge (who was Social Secretary and Chief of Staff to Jackie Kennedy).
Poem: Bubbles. CalTech Physicist Sean Carroll, sent back a note of appreciation when I shared this poem with him!
Travel
Dubai Salaam. I visited friends in Dubai to celebrate new year's eve and inaugurate 2016! A memorable trip due to the arrangements of my gracious hosts and a unique city!
Dubai vs. Istanbul. Two cities at global cross-roads, Dubai and Istanbul. We visited Istanbul in 2013 and Dubai in 2015. I thought a comparative post on these two great metropolises would be fun and identify which has the edge ....
New Old-Country. I've made it a habit to visit India every other year for the past 25 years. Although this year, I have visited India twice, once for a book ceremony on my old college campus in February.
Objective Burma! My father had an exceptionally enjoyable visit to Myanmar in September. Hope you enjoy this photo essay.
Ryder Cup 2016. It was indeed a bucket list experience to have the chance to go to the Ryder Cup 2106 at the Hazeltine Golf Course in Minneapolis.
Hizzoner. I had a terrific visit to Lake Tahoe this past week. Had the opportunity to meet Hizzoner Mayor Rudy Guiliani.
Aspen-ology. I had the chance to visit the Aspen Ideas Festival this week. The setting was great, the ideas even better!
Gems. I was in DC, yet again on a day trip. I took the opportunity before dinner to visit the National Museum of Natural History on the Washington Mall.
Let's say Naesh-veel ...! I had the opportunity to be in Nashville, Tennessee for a conference this week. Music City! The city, especially downtown, is alive!
Spring Fling. The snow was nowhere near as overwhelming as the last winter, and spring has arrived earlier than normal. But we were able to put down some tracks in the trails.
Summaries of titles from prior years
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
My first essay from 1989
An Inalienable Right. It feels like President Jefferson's magnificent words represent American Scripture. His ideas and vision for human society are so woven into the fabric of our lives that we perhaps don't consciously think of them. I have always been intrigued by the phrase, "pursuit of happiness". I thought I would explore it here.
Summary of 2016 Titles
Reviews
Book Review: Exhibition and Empire. I just finished with the first volume of Pax Britannica by Jan Morris. She (he, originally) is a SUPERB writer.
Book Review: My Brilliant Friend. The book is by Elena Ferrante. The author uses a pseudonym, which has both created its own mystery and a suspicion that the book is biographical.
Book Review: Men Without Work. Nick Eberstadt's book is about the approximately 10 million American males who are out of work and are an 'invisible' segment to policy makers and the general public dialogue.
Short Story and Movie Review: Arrival. I saw the movie Arrival, first. I followed it up by reading Ted Chiang's short story, The Story of your life from his short story collection. The short story adds a lot of depth to the story depicted in the movie and its underlying concepts. And provides an even better understanding of mind and language.
Book Review: The Fall Guy. I was in the mood for a quick-read mystery and finished the newly released 'The Fall Guy' by James Lasdun in two sittings and a plane ride.
Arts Review: The Factory Man. My friend Michael Netter, is a terrific artist, who has been painting for four decades.
Battles and Echoes - The US Civil War. Nearly 30 years have passed since I first came across the topic of the US Civil War, and until this summer, I did not dive into the topic to understand its scale and complexity.
Artificial Love. I have been musing whether a nicely designed robot could make my dog Fred, 'happy.'
Alexa ... you firing me? I am most delighted by the newest addition to my home office. It is Alexa. I have this sudden fear that Alexa might fire me ....
Social Media Map. If the mobile in our hands is taking up more of our time and attention than other activities such as reading, sports, conversing with friends and family or even sleep, it is perhaps in no small measure driven by social media.
These reward points for real? I was flying coast to coast luxuriating on 'this side of the curtain,' with my silverware and hot meal, thinking, 'hey, points with this airline get me nice treatment.'
Playing the hand. We live in a world today that is changing fast. It occurs to me, that the fascinating aspect of our dynamic and transforming world, is that individuals, companies, communities, societies and countries have all been dealt a fresh hand and have a chance to play another round (to use a card game metaphor).
Sketches on Manhood. Bollywood's Dharmendra is 80 years old now and enjoys a legendary film record. As much as we have been entertained by him, there are themes and patterns that emerge from his body of work.
Cache for 'stache. A personal story here in connection with Letitia Baldridge (who was Social Secretary and Chief of Staff to Jackie Kennedy).
Poem: Bubbles. CalTech Physicist Sean Carroll, sent back a note of appreciation when I shared this poem with him!
Travel
Dubai Salaam. I visited friends in Dubai to celebrate new year's eve and inaugurate 2016! A memorable trip due to the arrangements of my gracious hosts and a unique city!
Dubai vs. Istanbul. Two cities at global cross-roads, Dubai and Istanbul. We visited Istanbul in 2013 and Dubai in 2015. I thought a comparative post on these two great metropolises would be fun and identify which has the edge ....
New Old-Country. I've made it a habit to visit India every other year for the past 25 years. Although this year, I have visited India twice, once for a book ceremony on my old college campus in February.
Objective Burma! My father had an exceptionally enjoyable visit to Myanmar in September. Hope you enjoy this photo essay.
Ryder Cup 2016. It was indeed a bucket list experience to have the chance to go to the Ryder Cup 2106 at the Hazeltine Golf Course in Minneapolis.
Hizzoner. I had a terrific visit to Lake Tahoe this past week. Had the opportunity to meet Hizzoner Mayor Rudy Guiliani.
Aspen-ology. I had the chance to visit the Aspen Ideas Festival this week. The setting was great, the ideas even better!
Gems. I was in DC, yet again on a day trip. I took the opportunity before dinner to visit the National Museum of Natural History on the Washington Mall.
Let's say Naesh-veel ...! I had the opportunity to be in Nashville, Tennessee for a conference this week. Music City! The city, especially downtown, is alive!
Spring Fling. The snow was nowhere near as overwhelming as the last winter, and spring has arrived earlier than normal. But we were able to put down some tracks in the trails.
Summaries of titles from prior years
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
My first essay from 1989
An Inalienable Right. It feels like President Jefferson's magnificent words represent American Scripture. His ideas and vision for human society are so woven into the fabric of our lives that we perhaps don't consciously think of them. I have always been intrigued by the phrase, "pursuit of happiness". I thought I would explore it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment